We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Downloading from the MTC Gallery.

dazdaz Member Posts: 13
Now my first issue is solved, can anyone tell me why suddenly I can't download from the MTC Gallery please?  That used to be my first stop each day to see what was new.
Thanks ... Daz

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,325
    If the files have a X thumbnail they are not able to be downloaded

There has been a issue recently with the gallery
    I'm not really sure what is causing this

I thought maybe that these files are awaiting moderator approval
    I not quite sure how that process work or if there are different user moderation levels ? But when I performed a test file a few days ago the file was almost instantly available

So maybe those file will become available in the future or maybe the are permanently broken
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • dazdaz Member Posts: 13
    Thanks perhaps someone else has a way around it?

Daz
    edited April 10
    It seems to have began in December 2017
    Have you found file form before that date with the same issue ?

I think @MeFlick might know a bit more on how the gallery works?
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    That's when it happened to me first.  I am able to drop files down from before that date.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,991
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing - nothing mysterious at all, the gallery is just a file store of images that is managed by a database - which retains all the metadata of each image which makes the database searchable. I will suggest that likely mysql is the db, it is the popular choice on godaddy websites...which is the host of the www.make-the-cut.com website, and the forum as well. When sql is broken or gets updated or other unexpected circumstances, the database breaks and the gallery doesn't work. It may be when someone uploads a new file, if something isn't working properly, then the metadata is corrupted, or the file upload failed, so you cannot retrieve those files. With nobody attending to the website on a regular basis, these things will happen.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,141
    I don't know much more then what Liz stated in regard to the gallery. 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    I guess we'll just have to go elsewhere for files.  It's so disappointing as the gallery is what makes make the cut so much better than anything else.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,501
    My theory is that the database is too full.  I don't recall how many files are in the gallery, but I know it is way over 10,000.  There could be a size limitation, just as there was a size limit on the number of messages with attachments.  We lost a lot of those too because they had to be purged to make room for new attachments.  Am I right?
    Possible limitations of the db would be:

- maximum number of records. A record would represent all the information about each one of the files uploaded, who, when, name, etc. The max  number of records is different for each version of sql, so mysql, and mssql may be different but the limit is actually way out there...mysql the autoincrement value is maxed at 2,147,483,647 so we have a very long way to go before the db cannot assign a new number unique number to a new upload.

- each file in the gallery would be stored in a folder, just like you store or save your mtc files or other file types on your computer. The max number for that would be based on the amount of space that is allocated to your file system by the website hosts...so if you can have a total of 100 GB of space, when you run out you can't save anymore to that space and you have to do something. Delete files or contract for more space. Deleted files would result in the little x we see in the image above...ideally if the files are gone, gone, then the records related to them should be purged from the Gallery db as well. Keeping them results in what a database administrator might call their worst nightmare.
    A search of the gallery result in  15233 file being found

It seems to be a rather random failing as since the beginning of the year the are a few files that have successfully loaded there seem not connection between them different date and users?
    I noticed that too.  It has me beat.
    There have been random outages on the forum, and problems with the sql database. Any time that happens, you may have corruption. I assume that is the reasons for random files not being available.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!