We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

PLEASE HELP Cameo 3 not cutting dots on i properly

lucy2158lucy2158 Member Posts: 1
I really hope someone can help because this is driving me mad i am trying to cut oracle 651 vinyl on my new silhouette cameo 3 but the dots on the i keep lifting up when weeding and i am wasting so much vinyl please any help would be great
Thanks

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,378
    I have never used a Cameo 3 but I am thinking you need to either lessen your blade depth or your force.  Also slowing down the speed might allow the dot to stay put.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,378
    OR just cut out an i on it's own and add it in afterwards or just the dot!!  Waste not want not.  Cut out extra dots and add to your project where applicable.  Always more then one way to do something.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,130
    Hi Lucy. First, welcome to the support forum for the software programs Make the Cut software and  Popup Cards Studio.   They are 3rd party programs that work with different brands of cutters.  MTC worked with the Cameos before the Cameo 3 but has not been updated to have a plugin to communicate with the Cameo 3 directly.

Second, I mainly point it out so that you and others new to a Silhouette cutter like the Cameo 3 understand that you won't get a lot of technical help here on this forum specifically for that cutter and its software.  Not many users here with those machines or using their programs regularly plus unfortunately, not a lot of regular traffic here like there used to be.

We do try to help when we can, but I try to give a Silhouette specific forum link to new users because you often have other questions/issues and I think it helps to have a specific forum with lots of users using the same software and cutter.  The one that I am aware of requires you to register to visit and post, it can be found here: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Silhouette_Plus/register/
    There are also some Facebook groups and Blogs dedicated to users of the Silhouette cutters and their programs that can easily be found with a quick google type search.  (Too many for me to list and I don't belong to any specific ones or have any specific blogs I have reviewed.)

Finally, all of that said - I regularly cut vinyl with my cutters.  It is not unusual to have the dot of letters like an i or a j go "missing" by getting lifted when cutting or more likely, when weeding.  The smaller you are trying to cut, the more likely it is to occur. This is because there is just not much there to "hold" on when for a small dot. There are a couple of things you can try to do to prevent it on the front end, but sometimes you just have to do like Di said, try to "find" your dot or create extra ones and add it on to the project separately.  As you get more experience, sometimes its not just a "dot."  Sometimes it can be another letter or object.  Frustrating for sure!

Couple of tricks I have learned that can help, make sure that your vinyl its self is well adhered to the backing sheet before you cut. This type of vinyl can "lift" slight away from the backing while it sits around.  This is especially true if it is "older".  Now, even if its "new" to you, doesn't mean it wasn't sitting around for a while at the store, the wholesaler, etc.  Plus, if it was transported in extreme weather while being shipped around it can impact it as well.  I use a rubber brayer to roll across all my vinyl before I put it on to cut. I try to do that overtime to make sure it is well stuck to its backing.  Then, after cutting I roll across the cut lettering or objects again to make sure its still cut to its backing before I start to weed.  Both time it just takes seconds but can help reduce your frustration. If I know I have "dots" to worry about, I look to make sure they are still there and am careful in weeding that area in particular.  I will take and hold down with the pick tool if I think an area is lifting while weeding.  Again, seconds but saves frustration for sure. In the worse case scenario, and I have "lost" the dot - i simply cut that single letter or a small group of "dots" to get the dot needed to add back on. Good luck.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)