We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Laser cutter <3

roseofsharonroseofsharon Member Posts: 221
Hey guys :)  I still pop my head in here from time to time and I'm always happy to see that folks are still active in here.  
I still have my Zing and love it, but a couple of years back I bought a laser cutter through a crowd funding campaign, and just got a few months ago.  I am in love.  It's like a zing on steroids!  I can do so much more with it, and can still easily do paper!  And Make The Cut is my go to software for creating my svg's for use in the machine (even though it hasn't been updated in a long time, it still works fine for me).
Anyways, just thought I'd share a personal coupon code I got recently, if anyone has had a laser cutter on their mind or wishlist!  The company finally got caught up with US orders, and in celebration, is offering $1500 off of their pro model, and are guaranteeing that if you're in the US, you'll have it within 10 days!  I waited over two years...and it was worth it!  If anyone has any questions about it, I'm happy to answer them!
Here's the code!  Enjoy and happy creating!
Sharon rose, from
Facebook Etsy Instagram Twitter Pinterest
I am a famous artist, I just haven't been discovered yet!

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,227
    I've considered a laser cutter of and on for years . I guess apart from the initial expense that fact the laser is a consumable whether it be the tube in the co2 models or the diode module it the like of the Glowforge . Rather put me off
    But this technology is advancing rather quickly I wouldn't be surprised to see quite a few laser models enter the small business hobby space 

I keep having to tell my self I have enough Toys  
    Some of the things people are creating with them is amazing

From what I observed following other laser cutter users I pays to have a fire extinguisher on standby and set the rule never turn you back while cutting .
    I seen a few photo of laser cutter fires  .
    Though I expect some of these were the result of poor housekeeping  , debris left at the bottom of the cutter catching alight
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • roseofsharonroseofsharon Member Posts: 221
    They really are fun!  And I think if you're using it correctly, all you need is a damp rag for potential fires.  And most things don't flare up that easily, especially with the Glowforge and it's air assist.  Cardboard.  That is almost a guaranteed fire.  It's still cuttable, but you can't take your eyes off of it.  I love how user friendly this machine is.  I've heard there's a steep learning curve with most laser cutters, but not this one!  Super easy right out of the box!  I bought in during the crowd funding campaign, or I wouldn't have been able to afford one.  Not on our piddly budget. 
    They bridged a gap with this machine too and made it accessible for hobbyists, while at the same time, it's also good for a small business.  Before them, you had just the cheap (extremely finicky) laser cutters that were crap and more trouble than they are worth, and the ones that are more than a downpayment for a house!  And since their entry into the market, there's others trying to copy.  It won't be long before there's all sorts of competition on the shelves!  Dremel even is one of them, currently working on a laser cutter like the Glowforge.
    And it is super easy to collect tools, but so far, it's my favourite one hands down. There's so much you can do with it.  
    I don't regret this purchase at all!  Now, my 3d printer on the other hand :( I think I'm going to sell it.  It's just never worked like I had hoped.  
    Sharon rose, from
  • Rhoda JayneRhoda Jayne Member Posts: 1,640
    A girl I work with just got a Glowforge! I had no idea what it was until some of the other crafters at work were telling me about her new machine and I looked on Pinterest. I think she has a couple of small businesses outside work so she will put it to use.
    I just watched the video from your link. I had no idea what it looked like or how it worked,lol! I was told that it would etch things too. Could you etch glass objects with it like baking dishes?
    Hey @Rhoda Jayne :) You can etch all sorts of things, like glass, wood, leather, acrylic, rocks, shells, fabric...the list goes on!  The only limitation to the glass baking dishes, would be height, as it's limited to 2".  I've seen people doing plates and shot glasses, and I'm sure if the baking dish was under 2" it would work just fine!
    I've made all kinds of things so far...it's hard not to laser all the things!!!  It's super user friendly too, even for people like me who've never even touched a laser cutter before.
    Sharon rose, from
    That would be neat for monogramming kitchenware. 
    I saw a really neat idea last night for coir rugs from Target. The Silhouette facebook group had tons of pictures of personalized coir door mats from Target. A stencil was created out of freezer paper and ironed to the rug. Then they used a brush and porch paint to apply the stencil.
    Coir rugs...I'm going to have to look that one up.  It sounds like a pretty neat project!  
    I love looking through peoples creativity!  It's inspiring what folks come up with.  I've seen so much in the glowforge forums, and lots of people are customizing kitchen gadgets!  Any and all wooden items like spoons and cutting boards, and lots of glass.  The only thing that will limit you with this machine, is your imagination, and even then, there's so much inspiration looking at what others are making and doing with it.  I don't think I've been this happy with a tool/machine before.  And I do love my zing!  That was my favourite machine, until this one. I can just do so much more with it, except vinyl.  That is still saved for my zing, as vinyl is a no no in a laser cutter...it emits a corrosive gas. 
    Sharon rose, from
    edited April 2
    I didn't know it wouldn't cut vinyl. The girl at work who bougtht one also has Make The Cut. I asked her if she used it with Glowforge. She said that she could make her design in MTC.
    I'm retiring the end of May and I'm setting up my Cameo again after not using it for 4 years. I just upgraded my Silhouette software to the Business edition so I can save files as svgs. I've got to brush up on the software because I've forgotten how to use the Silhouette program and MTC.
    Maybe you can tell me. Does MTC open the extra glyphs in the fonts? I downloaded fonts from fontbundles and I don't know how to use them if it does.

Post edited by Gabe on
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,869
    @roseofsharon - We called them coco mats.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,333
    Yes, @Rhoda Jayne, you should be able to see the extra glyphs. Make sure you mark the box for All Glyphs (lower right of the box showing the characters).  Then you'll typically need to scroll way down pass a lot of empty boxes to find them. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Thanks @SandyMcC!  I was unsure of the answer.  @Rhoda Jayne, I use MTC with my glowforge.  I already knew how to use it, so it was really nice not to have to learn new software yet again.  The glowforge loves svgs! It accepts other file formats too, but my brain works well with mtc and svgs. 
    @Liz_A, that term is unfamiliar with me too!
    Sharon rose, from
    SandyMcC said:
    Yes, @Rhoda Jayne, you should be able to see the extra glyphs. Make sure you mark the box for All Glyphs (lower right of the box showing the characters).  Then you'll typically need to scroll way down pass a lot of empty boxes to find them. 
    Hi Sandy! I kinda thought it would do that. I just upgraded to the latest version. I haven't had a Cricut in years, but that early version did everything that I needed,lol!
    Last week I bought a font bundle and thought between MTC and my upgraded Silhouette business edition that I could have some swirly things added to my fonts. :)
    Liz_A said:
     I want the one that says "Come back with a warrant". DH watches Law & Order every single blessed day! ;)

• 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 832
    @roseofsharon ; I followed your link and watched the video, that is awesome, I am soooo jealous!  You are so very lucky to have that new toy!  Are the consumables that Crazy Mr Zing mentioned expensive?  The machine is somewhat reasonably priced.  Still too far out of my budget though.  Gotta win the lotto!  Have fun, thanks for sharing.  ~Diane
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,227
    what I read on the web the laser life expectancy is around 2 year
    I guess that would be somewhat based on usage
    but I have read that laser tubes age over time just sitting idle

Do you have to replace the laser tube?

The tube is covered under the warranty. Out of warranty, we'll replace it and realign it for you for $499, including roundtrip shipping in the US. We'll also have a replacement tube part available for purchase.

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Thanks for answering @Crazy_Mr_Zing!  To my knowledge, so far no one's had to replace a tube...since they are relatively new still.  Also, one of the machines that they are putting through testing, has been running for...I forget the exact amount of time, but I know it's over a year...maybe 2, and it's been running non stop around the clock, with no cleaning at all, just to see how long it will last...and it's still going!  There was so much gunk on the glass, you couldn't even see inside of it.  I don't know if it's still running now, but that was pretty impressive.  
    @1cardcreator, it is so much fun!  I wouldn't have been able to get it if it wasn't for the lower price during the crowd funding campaign.  I know I was blessed to be able to get one.
    I recently had an opportunity to tour (and make some shipping boxes), for i3D, a 3d metal printing company out of The Dalles, Oregon.  Those machines are $800,000 - 1.4 million each!  The make rocket ship parts!  I was totally geeking out in there! haha! They use a fine metal powder, and the laser melts it together, building up layer by layer.  One machine had 4 lasers working at once!  So cool!  I left feeling like I had purchased a childs toy!  hahaha!  
    Sharon rose, from
  • LittleMoCraftyLittleMoCrafty Member Posts: 225
    @roseofsharon , I was in that crowdfunding campaign, too.  I bailed after about a year and a half and got a refund on my reserved pro model.  I'm so glad you finally got your machine!  And I'm glad you love it!
    @LittleMoCrafty, yeah, the wait was hard.  I never felt like it was a scam, and didn't need it by a certain time frame, and knew if I cancelled, that I probably wouldn't be able to get another laser cutter for a very long time...so I stuck it out.  And I'm so glad I did.  
    Did you end up getting a different laser cutter...or none at all?  A year and a half is still a pretty long time to wait!  I got mine, in my hands, about a week over two years from the purchase date. 
    Sharon rose, from
    Are you still having fun with your new laser cutter?