We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Anti-virus software

GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,517
I'm looking for some new anti-virus software and thought I would ask for recommendations here.  Thanks!

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,060
    webroot and mimecast 
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,517
    @Liz_A ; thanks!

Do you know if Webroot is from a US company?

I'm not familiar with Mimecast.  What does it do?
    Mimecast is a great product, but on thinking some more, its definitely an email product. We use it at work and all inbound and outbound email is screened.

Webroot is, I believe, American based. CO.
    Thanks Liz!  I just want to move on to something else.  I'll check into those.
  • SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,122
    I've been very happy with webroot, which is cloud based. I bought from amazon, just ordered again today for this year. For $42 it covers 5 devices for a year, including my phone and tablet.
    Live Love Craft
    edited April 2
    @SassyLady_Lisa, thanks for sharing your personal experience with Webroot.  Although I'm not a Norton fan, I just learned last Friday that if you get Internet from Comcast, which I do, then they will give you, for free, the Norton suite.  I'm weighing whether I want to get something I'm not very enthusiastic about, but it's free, or if I want to skip that and go for Webroot and HitMan Pro (anti malware).
    @Gabe - they should pay you to use Norton. I will not let that software go anywhere near my computer. And same with McAfee.
    @Liz_A, noted.  Thanks for your feedback. :)
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,663
    @Liz_A. I am curious to know what it is about Norton that you don't like?
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
    @HappyCrafter - everything =). There are better products. I do not know of a tech that does what I do that uses Norton. We did use Symantec until about 18 months ago, Symantec acquired Norton along the way, but even Symantec was not a good product. Sometimes it would hickjack installs or remove things after a reboot. It was useless against an encryption trojan. Since moving to webroot and mimecast, we have had no incidents in our environment, and reports tell us all of the things that mimecast has blocked for us. Great tools, easy to use.
  • 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 835
    @Liz_A ; Thanks for the recommendations.  I have been using Avast (free version) for years, but have been thinking maybe I should invest in it, or something else.  ~Diane
    @Liz_A, I bought Webroot, and so far it seems adequate.  My web browser (Chrome) has some sort of indigestion, as it takes about 3-5 minutes to load the first page I ask for.  After that it works well enough, but it shouldn't take so long to become usable.  IE doesn't have that problem on the same computer.  I prefer not to use IE, though.  And I'm not a fan of Firefox, either.

I was hoping that Webroot would find some type of malware or spyware, but it said it found nothing on my system.  I think I will have to uninstall Chrome and then reinstall.  And comb the registry, too.  (bleh)

On a different note, do you think that Mimecast is appropriate for non-business users?  My wife and I have been having issues with phishing emails.  I can easily recognize them, but my wife is not quite so technical.  She has sent me several emails to verify they are real, but they weren't.  At least she recognizes that they might be fake and asks me to check it out.  :)
    @Gabe - use Chrome at work all the time, and I never notice a lag on pages...so yes maybe a fresh install would be in order.

I am not sure that Mimecast would be available to individuals. That is because in a way, mimecast hijacks every incoming and outgoing email, and checks it for all the bad stuff. If it passes, it gets sent on its way. That means that mimecast is configured to get all the email going to our work domain (eg microsoft.com). Since the majority of email users are using hotmail, gmail, or outlook.com or some such email, there is no way mimecast can check just one email account belonging to Gmail. 

I would check with your internet service provider...mine provides a similar service as to what mimecast does - checks everything coming and going from your email account, I just choose to not use the service.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!