We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Shading a shape with a pen

I am having fun creating some prints for a gift for my church's 40th anniversary and what I am looking to do is to use a pen on the zing to make a pen and ink drawing. I am hoping to be able to do the font with the pen and ink as well. 

I think I have heard before that you can do a nested duplicate of the letters to fill in the shape. But I am hoping to shade it with diagonal lines. Does anyone have a way to do this?

Thanks in advance
Connie
I have my work cut out for me!
I am CutWoman - I just need the black spandex and ears.
Gallery ID: 20273

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,381
    edited March 23
    Here some videos
    Engraving with Make-the-Cut

Creating Fill Patterns for Pen Drawing, Engraving, or Embossing

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,366
    You can fill your letters with any directional line or shape but when you do any line drawing - your file size will be your limiting factor. I have had my cutters pen in my shapes with fill before - but if you are using boolean join to automate your fill then the fill needs to be a single closed shape. I shadow any fill lines I make with the pencil tool and then use the shadow to boolean join with a copy of my shape to make the fill.
  • walshsurveywalshsurvey Member Posts: 553
    I gave up and printed the letters and then did a pen drawing of the main shape. It looked good.

I got it working a number of ways but it just didn't look clean. The pen would be darker and lighter depending on much overlap with other pen strokes. But it may come in handy sometime.
    Connie
    I have my work cut out for me!
    I am CutWoman - I just need the black spandex and ears.
    Gallery ID: 20273
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,381
    I recall someone on FB specifically changed to scal due it having a proper line fill function and not being happy with the result of the mtc method
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,414
    I'd cheat and having set it up I would use pnc to produce it - in other words print it out and then cut round the letters.  LOL
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!