We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting Minky?

bokinserbokinser Member Posts: 1
I would like to know if you can successfully cut Minky on the Scan n Cut2.  I would like to cut appliques for my embroidery machine.  I saw a YouTube video where they used freezer paper.  If that is the only way, it is much too time consuming.  Would appreciate any input.  Thank you.

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,747
    @bokinser - Welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum, where we support the software Make The Cut! and its supported users. The Brother cutters are not directly supported.

You should ask your question on a forum or FB group that supports those cutters, as it's not really a software issue but cutter ability issue.

For everyone else, who asked in their head, what is Minky, here is the answer:

Luxurious and silky soft, Minky fabric resembles real mink to the touch. It has a soft short pile and is as soft as cashmere. Minky is the ultimate fabric for creating baby blankets, cozy robes, apparel, toys, quilt backings, and just about any baby accessory. Minky comes in dozens of patterns, colors, and textures from dots and stripes to embossed prints. 

Based on the above, I am going to suggest that you will need to stabilize the Minky very well, by either using the freezer paper method, or something to keep this from moving around, as it will just get caught in the cutter's blade and perhaps cause major damage to the blade assembly or other internal parts. Some things just cannot be cut by drag blade cutters.
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,803
    I have cut a lot of fabric successfully on KNK machines but IMO, I don't think you can ever cut Minky. It is too thick and irregular, and poly or nylon fabrics ruin even serger blades like crazy.

Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
    In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,747
    Thanks for your feedback, @hwgang!