We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

SVG import resolution

Hey everyone.  I recently updated my software and cannot seem to find how to import SVGs at a certain resolution.  There used to be a tick box in the file chooser window where I could set it to 300, but now it only says "Large preview". 

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    edited March 11
    That option was removed form Make the Cut some time ago
    as Mtc was mean to be able to detect the dpi of the file
    Unfortunately for whatever reason detection does not always work correctly

if you know the correct dimensions you could correct the size manually 
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • eichelemeichelem Member Posts: 41
    Ahh gotcha, Thanks.  Annoying, but at least I know I need to be careful.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @eichelem - you must have been using an older version of MTC, let me guess...with a Cricut?

To fix a file for cutting in the current MTC at the correct designed size, you need the dimensions that the file was designed at. So for example if you know it is supposed to be 4 x 4 inches, but it opens at 3.2 inches square, you have to resize up. You can do that making sure the GOLD lock is on for the Lock Aspect Ratio, then set either the Height or Width value to 4, then press Enter.

If you know that the file was created at 72 dpi, MTC will import at 90 dpi. So it will be smaller.

If you know the file was created at 90 dpi, it should open the correct size in MTC.

If you know the file was created at 96 dpi (which I think is becoming or soon to become, the new norm), it will import much bigger in MTC. You would resize down to the designed size.

SVG are pure text files, which are human readable, and therefore human editable. So you can always open an SVG file in Notepad (not any other word processor), and examine the file. Some will state the program that created the SVG file, some will state height and width dimensions in pixels or inches, eg width="450.818px" height="648px". Some will state the dpi, some will not. I have managed to "fix" a few files to work with MTC by knowing what I can and cannot change :).

HTH
  • swtp01swtp01 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to using MTC and havent been real successful.  confused on many levels.  I have watched you tube videos only to become more confused   I have a zing air cutter and not sure on that either!  Either it doesnt cut all the way thru or or it crinkles up the top layer of vinyl.  Helppp!!  Anyone in the Tampa/Lakeland area that is willing to help show me how this all works?????
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @swtp01 - you could try calling KNKUSA, they are located in Mount Dora, FL, just a hop, skip and a jump away from you (well if I remember correctly about 80 miles, had a winter get away in Avon Park and am very familiar with that area of FL). Maybe you could pay for their time to give you a lesson (I would not expect free, as they are a very busy, very small shop), they are the ultimate experts on the cutters. You can find their info here: https://knkusa.com/contact-us/.

Here is a link to the User Manual for your cutter:
     http://www.iloveknk.com/support/user-manuals/zing-user-manuals/

I am going to assume you are using Make The Cut!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    edited March 15
    @swtpo1 There quite a learning curve getting to know your cutting it very important to follow the manual step by step so you have some understanding of setting and cutter operation.
    I think many of us want to jump into an amazing but sometimes quite difficult project first up , It best to start with some rather simple projects then once you have some successes then move on from there

The cause Not cutting all the wall through and crinkling if possible just that your settings need adjustment
    If you would like some help via the forum It would be best you begin a new discussion so it noticed by others

include the material your cutting and settings
    a photo of the cut that didn't go right often helps determine possible causes

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files