We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

serenity poem

gailongailon Member Posts: 19
 Making a wood sign for my daughter, I wonder if anyone can help me with the font.
Thank you in advance

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,405
    The problem you have here is that they have used several fonts.  It's never a good idea to use more then 3 at the outside (at least that was what I have been told).  I would suggest you find your own fonts and then reproduce it so that it looks good.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,029
    Good advice from @Di-lite. If you are doing this with vinyl, they look fabulous when you change up the colours of the words as well. 

Look on dafont.com to find matches for the fonts.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,356
    DO you have a larger image this might not trace soo well
    you could still try trace the current image though it may not work as well

use pixel trace to bring the word into MTC
    set the colour to black
    do a split
    select a selection of each font and file>export >selection to png
    then use these images on a webpage like whatthefont to identify the fonts
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,512
    edited March 12
    @Di-lite, welllllll....

There is also a wonderful thing called "Subway Art".  @gailon's image is an example.  Here is a couple of examples: 

St. Patrick's Day = http://www.finecraftguild.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/st_patrick_s_day_crafts_art.jpg

Valentines Day = https://www.etsy.com/listing/65516006/be-mine-valentine-subway-art-typography

The idea behind subway art is that it is something that was initially created by graffiti artists, using whatever stencils and colors they had with them.  So the art pieces can have any number of different fonts or colors.  That's what makes them special.  The fonts can be horizontal or vertical or both.  Letters can be uniform in size, or some can be larger or smaller than the rest of the text.  It is a marvelous way to let your creativity run "off the leash" so to speak.  At least I really like it. 

Before everything went sideways on the forum, I had asked Andy to consider making a Subway Art generator, which would allow for many effects to be easily created.  He seemed interested and once told me that he felt it was an easy project.  But then he invested his time in making PCS, which I'm sure looked like it would be a better income producer.  But after he did that, things basically came to a full stop and the Subway Art generator was never created.  Wish I was a programmer, I would love to have one of those.  :)

That being said, subway art is very easy to create with MTC, because all the text that goes onto the mat is in vector format.  You can set the format to Split by Glyphs, then choose your font and type your word or phrase.  Then you can enlarge certain words or letters, replace the initial letter with a different font and enlarge a lot, or you can grab a word or phrase and turn it 90 degrees, etc, etc.  While a generator would have been fun, it isn't very much of a chore to do it with only MTC.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,029
    It can be very time consuming creating a large mass of text, especially if you are changing the fonts for each bit...just ask me I just finished the cutting part of a project and it was all text. It can be painful, MTC is not the best tool either, imho, Word is much easier to work with. It would be nice to have a tool where you choose several fonts and font colours and then type your text and let the tool artistically create it for you, then you can finesse it to your liking.

Also if I am not mistaken, subway art is technically a criminal act in most jurisdictions if the artists haven't been invited to do their work (which most have not =) ). They work in the cover of night or dark, therefore don't have time to worry about stencils, they need to get the job done fast. I believe it is all done freehand. Each artist has their own style, and based on the many styles I have seen sitting waiting for the 15 minute long trains to pass by that get in my way on my way home, there are a lot of them out there!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!