We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Machine advice for a newbie?

JWProudDadJWProudDad Member Posts: 4
edited February 28 in General
Hello all! I've been doing TONS of research, and am so glad to have found this site on my venture. This is a great community with lots of knowledgeable people, and I know you can answer this question. Is there a machine as capable as the Silver Bullet (meaning ability to etch, emboss, engrave, draw, etc.), but uses a servo motor? The Silver Bullet seems almost perfect with its ability to do many different tasks on pretty much any substrate, and comes with software (Make the Cut I believe) but can also be used with SCaL. Only problem I have with it, is the stepper motor. If the Silver Bullet had a servo motor, I'd order the 15" right now. I'd like to be able to cut from 15" to at least 10' or more as well as engrave, emboss, pierce, draw, etc. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,312
    edited February 28
    You could take a look at the KNK range of cutters KNKUSA.com
    The KNK MAXX Air is simular to the SB not identical though

I've not put much thought into what motors they use what ever they are they do the job  . I'm suspecting they are steppers as steppers don't need a position encoder and the associated controlware

I'm curious why you specify the need for servo motors do they provide some advantage ?

edit : I asked google
    1. Servo Motor Vinyl Cutters are very quiet. When they run, you basically cannot hear the motors running. All you really hear is the solenoid actuating in the carriage and the vinyl running over the cutter.
    2. Servo Motors are very powerful and maintain accuracy under heavy loading due the the closed loop feedback. Because servo motors are better under heavy load than their stepper motor counterparts and compensate for slippage, they can more reliably pull through thicker materials such as .030″ thick magnetic material or Buttercut stencil material. If you are considering cutting through thicker materials then you will need a servo cutter.
    3. Servo Motors are much more accurate than stepper motors.
    4. Servo Motors are faster. Although servo motors are faster, stepper motors can cut vinyl as fast as vinyl should be cut. Cutting speed in general is not really a point of differentiation between servo and stepper systems.
    5. Servo Motor Vinyl Cutter parts are much more expensive. Because the repair parts (especially the motors and the motherboard) are more expensive
    Source :   http://www.cutterpros.com/blog/2013/03/14/why-choose-a-servo-vinyl-cutter-over-a-stepper-motor-vinyl-cutter/

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • JWProudDadJWProudDad Member Posts: 4
    You answered the servo question with your edit. Power, accuracy, and quiet is the reasoning behind the servo. I plan to make pin-striping and other car decals, as well as some signage, so long runs and accuracy are key.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,312
    A cutter from uscutter might be better suited http://shop.uscutter.com/products/Servo-Plotter

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    i did look at the Titan Series (3 specifically) and couldn't determine if it has engrave, emboss, draw, etc. capabilities. Does it, do you know?
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,135
    . . .  Is there a machine as capable as the Silver Bullet (meaning ability to etch, emboss, engrave, draw, etc.), but uses a servo motor? The Silver Bullet seems almost perfect with its ability to do many different tasks on pretty much any substrate, and comes with software (Make the Cut I believe) but can also be used with SCaL. ?
    First, a quick correction. The SB line of cutters does not come with MTC, it comes with SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) which is from Craftedge. You can use MTC with the SB but MTC does not have an actual plugin for the SB. You would need to use the plugin for the KNK Maxx (not Maxx Air) to cut from MTC to the SB.

2nd, most of the “craft cutters” use the stepper motors. Some of that I believe has to do with the cost between the stepper versus a servo motor. Also, I don’t believe any of the “craft cutters” on the market could successfully cut 10 feet without issues. They are not designed to do so as that would be more of a “professional” need.

3rd, I own a SB. It is an excellent machine but I am cautious about saying it or any cutter is “perfect” or that it can etch, emboss, engrave, or draw on “any substrate.” As that is not really true. There are many substrates you could not engrave or emboss on for example. The thickness of the media, it’s density, etc. all play a part in whether a cutter can cut into, through, engrave, or emboss etc. also, most cutters do not give a deep “emboss,” it is more of a debossing effect. All of these cutters are limited on the thickness of material that can be rolled through it as well.

There are other cutters on the market now that do The same as the SB. You wllvjust need to continue your research to determine if their is one particular one that. best meets your specific needs. 

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Thank you for that excellent post! It seems I may have to look into 2 different machines. One for large/long run vinyl cuts, and one for emboss/deboss, engrave etc. I do really like the idea behind the "orbitizer" accessory for the KnK Orbit, so I'll be thinking about that as well.