We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Double Fold [Resolved]

CharoCharo Member Posts: 678
edited February 26 in Help for Popup Card Studio
This looks very simple but I sure can't figure out how to do it.  Is it possible in PCS?
Post edited by Gabe on
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,290
    I think that would be possible in PCS
    maybe ignore the arm until you perfect the main body part

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,129
    edited February 22
    While it may indeed be possible in PCS, you really don't need PCS to do this.  You could do it just fine in MTC with some simple node editing to keep some areas "attached" to the back piece of paper.  For example, on the edges of his hat brim, one of his "fingers" on each side and then on each side of the bottom "snowball" that makes up his sides.  While it does look like the middle of the body and the bottom are cut separately and then "slotted" together, I would not do that as I would prefer it to look as one piece, but again, could be done in MTC.

Note, I did something similar way back in 2011 with MTC and an LD (Lettering Delights) snowman as outlined in this thread here:http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/20978/ld-popup-snowman-card-with-a-little-pop-of-color-thanks-to-mtc-node-editing-tools#latest I first just did the node editing to "attach" the snowman so he would cut out to pop out then I converted it to a "print and cut".

Unfortunately, the pics no longer show in that thread but you can find them on my old blog here (with detailed info. as to how it was done): http://meflickcricutandmore.blogspot.com/2011/12/new-features-in-make-cut-and-new.html

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,366
    Yes but you build it out but fold it in - like the vase or stadium popup cards
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 678
    My goodness @MeFlick I had no idea there was so much information on your blog.  I am assuming you don't do a blog any more?  
    Also I just got it through my head that MTC existed before PCS did and a whole lot of folks did lots of popup stuff in MTC.  I think Di-lite and maybe Crazy Mr. Z told me a while back something like this too when I wanted to make slanted fold lines.
    OK!  Thanks for all the information.  Can't wait to try it.

Member 30818
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,129
    Hey @Charo , yes I quit blogging a long time ago (probably when my Mom started dealing with Alzheimer's maybe, but  I also had kiddos that did a lot of sports things and so I was hit or miss during their high school years due to that too.) I left the blog out there since it did have some useful information at the time.  Most of that info. is probably out of date and the links to files I shared are no doubt dead now as I had the files on a 4shared account, (or most of them at least) when I shared them and I know they shut that down a while back now. I should probably see how to take it down or something since the links no longer work to get any files. That link was to my original blog that had the word "Cricut" in its name - when PC got sue happy - I felt I needed to get rid of it in my blog name so moved over to a 2nd blog - here: 
    http://melaniescrafting.blogspot.com - again - most of the links will be dead but if anyone sees anything on either of these, I am sure  I can attempt to track down the files on one of my computer drives.  I always meant to load them into the MTC gallery but most are probably not there.  Maybe I can put that on my "to do" list.  ;)

Yes, MTC existed a long time before Andy developed PCS.  He came out with MTC in Dec. 2009, he didn't come out with PCS until early 2014 so MTC was out for about 4 years before PCS came along.  I think it was those early attempts to do popups with MTC by people that gave Andy the idea to create PCS. I loved them both.  In their "hey day" their was lots of sharing of information and files here.  Miss that and all the people who were here regularly.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,378
    In these files that fold in and out I am guessing people start with a closed drawing - the art is to set the breaks at the right place with sufficient space between the cut lines to keep it all attached to the background.  Personally I would create a little square and cut out the lines in little lumps - not sure how you would do that in MTC but I am sure it is possible.  Then all you have to do is add the fold lines or do two breaks on the line and turn the intersecting part into a score line.  Whichever is easier.  Looks like fun.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Ooops I put this up this morning not sure why it did  post

I'm Rather rusty using PCS 
    and this is a little rustic ??

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,378
    It's a start - like the way the bottom is different from the top.  If you intend trying it again you can have a go at getting a bend in the arms as well - that will try you thought patterns - I would bend the arms first and then fold the card over to pickup the glue on the hands!  Have a go - you can only get stuck up!  LOL

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    Well I guess I am spoiled:  I want PCS to do it for me!  Now @Crazy_Mr_Zing how do you make the center of the bottom piece hit the center of the card??   
    Member 30818
    edited February 24
    Hmm Not sure how to explain that
    The centre of the bottom folds towards the card it doesn't touch the main centre fold of card though

This is how i do the bottom section

Place half the base on the horizontal plane and align to bottom

alter the Y position by adding the Plane position
    5" + 0.375" = 5.375

crop 1/16" to create the flat for the anchor

Use Crop division rectangle to create line 0.375" (3/8) for the bottom
    This will be the anchor
    (set snapping to 1/8" , Get the red dash line the the bottom , click and drag up counting 3 snaps then across)
           http://sendvid.com/4hga7xzw                                         

Select all and copy (this will be use later)
    Select only the Anchor and flip to opposite

Press space to switch to vertical place
    set plane position at 0.375"

Paste / Flip ? Low to Bottom to meet the horizontal shape

Select Anchor and flip to opposite

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing oh boy I am going to have to print this off and study it.  Way more complicated then I thought.  But if I have it printed and follow it through in PCS and get it once it will hopefully sink into my head.  Thanks so much for taking the time to explain each step so well.
    Member 30818
    edited February 24
    That probably because I choose the most complicated way
    I tend to get stuck on the way the works for me even it it convoluted

Another way that came to me overnight

placing a shape temporarily shape on the opposite plane at the required position
    so when you place the snowman shape on the horizontal plane it could be lowered to meet it

Place a temporarily shape on the 0.375 vertical plane

press space to switch to horizontal plane and set plane position at 0.375"
    Place the shape crop 1/16" to create the flat for the anchor
    use align to bottom plane to move it so it meets temporary shape on back

discard the temporary shape

copy this shape

press space to switch to vertical plane set plane position to 0.375" and paste then flip the shape
    use align to bottom to move shape down to meet the shapeon the horizontal plain

I never used this before ? 
    it could be use in position the top half as well in which I had to resort using a calculator lol ???
    edited February 25

Di-lite said:
    It's a start - like the way the bottom is different from the top.  If you intend trying it again you can have a go at getting a bend in the arms as well - that will try you thought patterns - I would bend the arms first and then fold the card over to pickup the glue on the hands!  Have a go - you can only get stuck up!  LOL

Still a little off with the proportions  his middle needed to be wider I think

@Crazy_Mr_Zing I did it got it done YEAH!  Followed your first instructions because that's what I had printed out.  Ended up welding the anchor piece to the base piece and using fold to bottom because that was easier for me.  Now after you explained it and showed me how it is so simple.  Hah.  A matter of thinking through the planes....oh yes so simple.  Thanks so very much.

Member 30818
    It rather tricky to visualise and it swaps form a vertical plane to horizontal

even though this is a vertical fold card I build it on it side
    leaving the card horizontal on the screen
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,371
    Good for you, @Crazy_Mr_Zing!  I'll definitely have to go through your method myself. I was hoping there was a way to get it done in PCS.   
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/