We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Windows 10 pro laptop and MTC Plugin

KSGKSG Member Posts: 1,566
Hi Everyone!
I haven't used my Cougar in quite sometime. I need to cut some vinyl for a friend. Can't get the cougar to start. It shows klic N Kut series. It seems like something else was listed before. I went to make the cut and looked I did not find the KnK section that said also workable with the BC cougar, so I downloaded the Klic N Kut plugin but still not working. I may have never used this laptop for the cougar but thought I did. KnK was already listed as one of the cutters though. How do I solve this?
Thanks in advance
darlene

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,135
    First, I'm a little confused when you say you "can't get the Cougar to start." It shows Klick N Kut series".  Do you mean, you turn the Cougar on and it actually starts but that you can get it to start a cut?

If you are only showing the KNK cutters in the "cut with" then you don't have the Cougar plugin downloaded and install.  However, you don't need the Cougar plugin to get it to work. You can use the KNK plugin for the Cougar.  It is probably the better choice to use over the Cougar plugin since it gives you more choices like "knife point" cutting. With the Cougar one, you had to go in two inches and then over two inches to get alignment as I recall.

You just need to use the KNK Maxx choice (not the Maxx Air) and make sure the baud rate is set to match that of the Cougar's as it is different from the Maxx cutter.  Not sure if that is all for general cutting - (my sister has my old Cougar so I can't check on it specifically.)  It has been discussed on here several times before so you might do a search and see what you can find. I don't recall anything else though.  you can do the "test" and see if it works before attempting to cut. I know it works because I used it regularly with my Cougar and still do the same with the Silver Bullet.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • KSGKSG Member Posts: 1,566
    edited February 20
    MeFlick Part of it was the baud rate setting. But it is spitting the mat back out. Loading it into the front of the machine, with the arrow going into the machine. but instead of drawing the mat in and cutting it spits it out or cuts backwards toward the top end of the mat instead of cutting from the front on down the end of the mat. lol I am prob doing something wrong knowing me. it is set on portrait. so should be straight in then cut down the mat, not going off the top of the mat out from under the wheels.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,312
    I seem to recall something though not 100% sure ?
    about and x and y being reversed on blackcat machines .  does that ring any bells?
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited February 20
    I seem to recall something though not 100% sure ?
    about and x and y being reversed on blackcat machines .  does that ring any bells?
    That only applies when trying to do a “print and cut” and I didn’t bring that up since Darlene was not trying to do PnC as not to confuse things further.  ;)

Darlene, it’s not going to draw the mat into the machine like a cricut or silhouette type cuter that does. IF you are putting the mat into the machine with the edge in from the front of the cutter like you would with those machines, that is not right on these cutters. With the Cougars, SB and some KNK and other cutters, the mat is pulled into the cutter from the backside of the cutter so you need to load the mat from the backs of the cutter. So the edge is in from the back, and the bulk of the mat is hanging out of the backside. You also need to make sure to take the cutter “offline” and set the “orientation” or starting point by pressing the “target” or “bullseye” button and then put the cutter back online. This is where most people make mistakes and why the mat is then spit out if you don’t load the mat correctly or forget to set the orientation with the cutter offline and then put it back online. If you are using the KNK plugin with the "knifepoint" option to cut with, it will start cutting where you place the tip of the blade, and pull the mat into the cutter from the back as it cuts.

if you need some further refresher help, I believe you can use Sandy’s MTC/KNK Maxx manual for most of the basic information.

in regards to the X/Y being reversed when doing a PnC, that means when setting the X/Y - one is a positive number and one is a negative number - if you have the cutter using the Cougar plugin and are calibrating the cutter it’s one way, and it’s flipped if you are using the KNK plugin. This means if X is positive and Y is negative in the Cougar plugin, the X would be negative and the Y positive when using the KNK plugin. (I don’t recall which way it actually is off the top of my head and no computer or cutter right now where I am to check but it is in several old conversations here on the forum.)
    Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
    MeFlick, Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, lots of stuff goes on til about this time of day most of the time. Do you know how I can reset the software for the b c cougar back to the default settings? When I was getting ready to setup the cut yesterday on the cougar (my cougar is around 7-8ish years old) anyway I wound up on the x and y window on the cougar. I could not recall steps so I pushed the arrow for  the X setting. that was a really bad idea lol. I could not get it back to 0. finally I just turned the cougar off. when I turned it back on the X setting was back at 0. Don't know if that caused some sort of problem. I am pretty sure I have always loaded the mat from the front. Might be totally wrong because I tend to get opposites mixed up due to a stroke many years ago.
    So thankful for your help.
    Crazy_Mr_Zing, Thank you for your help!!!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,956
    @KSG - I don't think you need to worry so much about what is on the screen on the Cougar. Once you have the plugin set up properly in MTC, it will tell the Cougar the x,y values. I think mine on my Maxx Air (which is similar) are set to 0 and 0 when I turn it on. Hope that helps.
    Liz_A, Hey There! How are you, yours? I have lost it, lol. I swear I do not recall ever loading the mat from the back of my Cougar. Gonna give it another try a bit later today... Many thanks!!!
    Hey I bet I know what I used to do when loading the mat into the cougar. I must have loaded it from the front but slid it all the way in so the back end of the mat was as the front edge where the blade is... lol, lol, lol, I can be truly funny...
    So Darlene - let us know if you are still having issues.  I am positive that you would need the mat at the back of the machine so that is probably what you did when loading the mat previously.  

Go Vols!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,383
    KSG said:
    Hey I bet I know what I used to do when loading the mat into the cougar. I must have loaded it from the front but slid it all the way in so the back end of the mat was as the front edge where the blade is... lol, lol, lol, I can be truly funny...
    Based on how various KNK's are positioned on desks and tables in my office, it would be awkward for me to load the mats from the back, so I've ALWAYS loaded them from the front and then slid them backwards until my blade is near the bottom edge of the material to be cut.  :) 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/