We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Advice about upgrading from Silhouette Designer to Business Edition

_Kira__Kira_ Member Posts: 13
I want to upgrade my Silhouette software to be able to save svg files. The current price for the upgrade is $50. Do they ever have sales on their software? Is the Silhouette official website the cheapest place to get the upgrade?

Thank you for any advice!

Comments

  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @_Kira_ - welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum, where we support the software Make The Cut!, it's users and supported cutters. While most older Silhouettes work with Make The Cut!, the most recent new ones are not fully supported.

    In answer to your questions...you would get better answers on a Silhouette specific forum. Occasionally you can purchase Silhouette software on sites like Dreaming Tree, or Scrappy Dew. Sometimes they have specials and Silhouette does not. Or Silhouette has specials but no one else does. You have to keep your ear to the ground to find out. Sometimes you can get discounted Silhouette gift cards, like a $25 one for $19.99...a couple of them used towards an upgrade purchase would be a savings. Good luck!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    I guess I'm elcheapo
    But $50 seem quite steep just to gain the save to svg function

    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • _Kira__Kira_ Member Posts: 13
    Liz_A said:
    @_Kira_ - welcome to the Make The Cut! software forum, where we support the software Make The Cut!, it's users and supported cutters. While most older Silhouettes work with Make The Cut!, the most recent new ones are not fully supported.

    In answer to your questions...you would get better answers on a Silhouette specific forum. Occasionally you can purchase Silhouette software on sites like Dreaming Tree, or Scrappy Dew. Sometimes they have specials and Silhouette does not. Or Silhouette has specials but no one else does. You have to keep your ear to the ground to find out. Sometimes you can get discounted Silhouette gift cards, like a $25 one for $19.99...a couple of them used towards an upgrade purchase would be a savings. Good luck!

    Thank you Liz_A, where could I get the discounted gift cards?
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 45
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @gll5613 - thanks for sharing the link!
  • _Kira__Kira_ Member Posts: 13
    Before reading gll5613's answer, I found Swing Design's page and I bought two Silhouette $25 Download Gift Cards for $15 each. The I realized, download cards don't work for buying software/upgrades. I have almost never bought designs, so it didn't even occur to me there were two kinds of Silhouette gift cards. Does anyone know how/where I can sell the two $25 download gift cards I bought by mistake? :'( :'( :'(
  • SharonSharon Member Posts: 158
    Where did you find the upgrade to Business Edition for $50?  I just looked at the Silhouette Store and it is $99.99.
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,363
    Curious so I looked - If you do upgrade to business edition you still can't export in svg any purchased parts of your project. So if you get someone's Sil file and you need an svg of it - parts might still be missing. You might be better off with an online converter.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,351
    I agree with @leslie6111.  Try the converter first since you can do 10 files per day for free.  Here's the link:  http://ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx

    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 45
    @Sharon - The $99.99 license key at the Silhouette Store is for upgrading from basic (free) Studio to the Business Edition. If the user already owns Designer Edition or Designer Edition Plus, there are separate license keys at lower prices that can be purchased for a DE to BE upgrade or for a DE+ to BE upgrade.


  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 45
    Please be aware that Silhouette Studio V4.1 and the Business Edition upgrade are required to save as SVG. Earlier versions of Studio do not include that feature even if Business Edition is activated.

    Silhouette Design Store content will display as dotted line segments in files exported from Studio V4.1 as SVG or PDF.
  • _Kira__Kira_ Member Posts: 13
    gll5613, after your post, I checked and my version of Silhouette Designer Edition is 4.0.8    So, what do I need do/buy to be able to save svg files?
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/printer-friendly/faq/silhouette-studio-business-edition-overview

    Upgrade by choosing the right option on the drop list at the bottom of the page:

    https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/shop/software-and-download-cards/silhouette-studio - it is listed as CA$50 which means in US $$ it's less than that.
  • _Kira__Kira_ Member Posts: 13
    Liz_A, that's what I thought, but gll5613 says that buying that upgrade won't allow me to save SVG files.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    edited February 19
    The option to export only became available in Business Edition from Version 4.1 onwards

    As you using version 4.0.8 you will need to update to the latest version which is
    4.1.206
    It's always a good idea to keep your software updated it often include improvements and big fixes


    If you include in Your design any content that you purchased it will NOT be included in the svg file




    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 45
    edited February 19
    @_Kira_ What I am saying is that updating the software and upgrading the Studio Edition are two separate things. If you upgrade your license to Business Edition and are still running V4.0.8, you will not have the "Save as SVG" feature. That capability was introduced in V4.1.

    Studio software updates are free. There isn't separate software for each edition. All editions use the same Studio software. You can download the current released version of Silhouette Studio V4.1 here: https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software. After downloading, you will have to install it. Updating the Studio program does not affect the Studio edition license key.

    The Studio edition (DE, DE+, and BE), a purchased license key, is upgraded by entering the license code through the Help menu of the Studio program. The license key determines what features are activated when Studio is launched.

    I can point you to a couple of Silhouette videos on this topic. However, when I try to post a link here, it posts the video.

    If you have more questions about Silhouette Studio, please visit the Silhouette Plus Forum: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Silhouette_Plus/index/.



    Updated to add video links. Thank you @Crazy_Mr_Zing for the link instructions.

    Silhouette Software Update Process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYo7iVLwhNM

    How to Apply Software License Keys (begins at 1:28): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-pVRzLk1-I










    Post edited by gll5613 on
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    gll5613 said:


    I can point you to a couple of Silhouette videos on this topic. However, when I try to post a link here, it posts the video.



    If you want to post the link as a link you can use this button



    Just watch you do overwrite the default http:// in the dialogue box or you may end up with a  http://http://.............. link that won't work
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • _Kira__Kira_ Member Posts: 13
    gll5613 said:
    @_Kira_ What I am saying is that updating the software and upgrading the Studio Edition are two separate things. If you upgrade your license to Business Edition and are still running V4.0.8, you will not have the "Save as SVG" feature. That capability was introduced in V4.1.

    Studio software updates are free. There isn't separate software for each edition. All editions use the same Studio software. You can download the current released version of Silhouette Studio V4.1 here: https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software. After downloading, you will have to install it. Updating the Studio program does not affect the Studio edition license key.

    The Studio edition (DE, DE+, and BE), a purchased license key, is upgraded by entering the license code through the Help menu of the Studio program. The license key determines what features are activated when Studio is launched.

    I can point you to a couple of Silhouette videos on this topic. However, when I try to post a link here, it posts the video.

    If you have more questions about Silhouette Studio, please visit the Silhouette Plus Forum: http://s15.zetaboards.com/Silhouette_Plus/index/.



    Updated to add video links. Thank you @Crazy_Mr_Zing for the link instructions.

    Silhouette Software Update Process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYo7iVLwhNM

    How to Apply Software License Keys (begins at 1:28): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-pVRzLk1-I










    Thank you so much for all your help. What threw me off was that when I clicked on "Check for updates" in Designer Studio it would tell me that there weren't any updates available. I then assumed I would have to pay to update for the 4.1 version. I went to the page you sent me and installed 4.1 - Everything is great now.

    Now I just need to figure out how to sell the electronic download gift cards I bought by mistake :'(
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 45
    @_Kira_ You're welcome. I'm happy to hear that you were able to update Studio. The "check for updates" is unreliable. For that reason, many of my Studio-using acquaintances have turned off the "check for updates" preference and have gotten into the habit of visiting the Silhouette software page periodically to check for updates.
Sign In or Register to comment.