We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Laminating foil 'residue'?

jessjessjessjess Member Posts: 3
Hi guys!

I'm having a little trouble getting my foil to look perfect and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm not sure how to explain what happens once I try foiling something and I can't find others with the same problem.

Basically, every time I run it through the laminator the actual words I printed all get coated beautifully but there is leftover foil on the edges. They aren't stuck to the page because once I rub it they go away, but it's almost like the foil doesn't 'cut' right. If I look at the piece of foil I just used the edges look all jagged.

Has anyone heard of this or had this happen to them?

Items I'm using:

Laminator: Cheap Scotch laminator in the 5mil setting (running it a couple of times through)
Printer: Brother HL-L2370DW
Paper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018REFQMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Foil: Deco foil

I'm printing at the highest quality, my image is a vectorized pdf file, 300 DPI.

I've wasted so much paper and foil, please help!

Thanks,
Jess

Answers

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,060
    @jessjess - I am not nor is this list expert at foil lamination, although there may be many individuals that are but may not necessarily be online looking to support foil lamination problems. So is your image a true vector image, where was it created? What program are you using to print from? I ask this because the problem sounds like the toner is sticking to some very light coloured ragged edges. If you zoom your pdf file to say 200% or 400% can see any artifacts that would attract toner and thus attract the foil?
  • jessjessjessjess Member Posts: 3
    Hi!
    I created it in Illustrator, saved it as a PDF and printed it from Adobe Acrobat.

Zooming in I really can't see anything in terms of stray toner.

This is a picture zoomed in at 1762%.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,517
    @jessjess, my best advice for you is to check out a Facebook group called Teach Me That.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/teachmethat/

Joseph Tovar sells foils and other items and he is in that group.  He provides support and is very knowledgeable.  I'm fairly certain he can give you the info you need to get the results you want.  Join the TMT group and post your question.

Good luck and persevere.  You'll get it sorted out. 

• jessjessjessjess Member Posts: 3
    Hi Gabe,
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    I will try that!
  • blusmartblusmart Member Posts: 2
    I have also encountered similar problems, to see the answer given by the above man.