We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

PCS to MCS file not showing cutting lines

Hello. Need to help with what happens after I import an Popup Card SVG file into Make the Cut. This is what I am seeing after importing the file, 

The solid lines show like it will be a cut instead of a fold. Is there any video that shows how to do it? I tried to find one but there are just too many. 

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @Pistillo - how did you export it? I did File => Export => Project Rendering => SVG and it was fine (meaning the valley and mountain fold lines were clearly indicated in MTC).
  • PistilloPistillo Member Posts: 12
    Liz, since this is my first time doing it, the MTC imported file split the card into 3 sections. A top and bottom halves plus the center letters. I did not observe any cash lines indicating valleys and mountains. What am I missing? Thanks for responding.
    @Pistillo - if you go File => Print preview in PCS, do you see the dashed lines?
    What are you settings in File => Render Options for the Mountain and Valley Lines?

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    I suspect you might have used File > export> project rendering > pdf

The pdf export doesn't retain the line styles/types.

As Liz suggests use File > export> project rendering > svg
    the in mtc import the svg

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Liz, my render options do not have any options selected. I proceeded to do the same set up as yours. 

This is what it looked like after choosing your same options, 

This is what I see in MTC after doing File => Export => Project Rendering => SVG, 

And finally, this is the print preview from MTC, 

Mr. Zing, 

I noticed this view in your file, 

Am I supposed to cut the file according to these layers? I sent the file to cut yesterday and it just cut the paper through. It did not leave any valleys or mountains. 

THanks.

LIz and Mr. Zin I will get back to you later. I have to leave to work now. Thank you for your kind help.
    edited February 13
    The Mountain fold appear to be still solid lines

check the render options for mountain folds

Myself i set all folds line to short dash
    but also often adjust the line style once I've the imported the Svg to MTC
    as sometimes short dashed is to long to create robust folds

Pistillo said:
    Mr. Zing, 

I noticed this view in your file, 

Am I supposed to cut the file according to these layers? I sent the file to cut yesterday and it just cut the paper through. It did not leave any valleys or mountains. 

Thanks.

The layer labels are only for identification have no effect on how the lines are cut
    the line style determines if the line is cut as a solid line or dashed

The line style included in the svg file will be based on those rendering option setting in PCS
    But this line style can also be altered once imported into mtc

do you have the make the cut user manual ?
    what cutter do you have
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,351
    The bottom of your letters do not have folds. It appears that you did make the tops flat, but not the bottoms. So, if it were me, I'd start over again in PCS and make sure you trim the bottom off, as well as the top. Then proceed again. One thing I do is repeatedly use File>Print Preview to make sure I see the dashed fold lines show up before moving on to the next step.   Then I check one more time before exporting as SVG. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    edited February 13
    Great pick up Sandy didn't notice that line was solid ?

@Pistillo ; Have you seen these videos
    When PCS New there was a webniar that showed quite a lot of the basics
    Popup Card Studio Q&A Webinar - January 14, 2014 Part 1
    Popup Card Studio Q&A Webinar - January 14, 2014 Part 2

Also http://www.susanbluerobot.com/ is a great resource for learning pcs it has many how to videos

Mr. Zing, I did browse the user manual after your recommendation. I will have to experiment adjusting the line style to create better fold and mountains. 

I own a very old Graphtec Craft ROBO. It only cuts 8.5 x 11" sheets. It was given to me as a hand me down from my sister. It came without blade holder and power supply. Luckily, the machine is compatible with Silhoute and I was able to get both from that brand. 

I plan to test cutting 300 g/m2 cardstock puchased on sale at Michael's.  I think I will need to buy a sticky cutting mat according to some videos watched yesterday. 

Thank you Sandy for your advice. I will add folds to the bottom and try again. 

Thanks again to all.

When using PCS a good habit to develop is checking the print preview
    just to make sure folds have been created
    it quite easy to just miss the correct position when forming anchors so what meant to be a fold become a cut

I have a feeling 300gsm card stock might be a little heavy

Yes you need a sticky mat if your cutting though the full thickness of any material
    some machines can cut adhesive vinyl without a mat providing your only cutting the vinyl and not the backing sheet
    The Graphtec Craft Robo was my first cutter and, without any doubt, got me hooked on cutters for life.  :)    Please post again if you have any issues getting those fold lines to show up.  Several different users, including myself, have made their own PCS videos in an effort to make it easier to learn the program.  So, just let us know what you need!
    Sandy McCauley
  • debbiecaseydebbiecasey Member Posts: 415
    edited February 17
    HI everyone was going to message Sandy McAuliffe my self have similar problem thought it was a problem with PCS end up doing it by sending it straight to the machine option cutout ok. Showed dashed lines and everything in all previews but not when I imported to make the cut. Even tryed one of my old files some thing now all straight lines and no dash lines. So fault some were. Also does any one no how to get the rego no can not fined mine for PCS thinking of un stalling it and trying it again with both program's .Sandy McAuliffe this happen with my last card the one of the Jeep .Thanks for any help or advice cheers Deb a couple of pics of what Iwas talking about.you have to tap on them to come up or unless they do once I have posted
    Mr Zing I have used 300g card stock mno problems the same thing is happening to me as well even wirh my old cutting file's that I have useb befor not showing dashed lines any more when I import thinking reinstalling both program's works ok if I cut straight to the Machine though this is what I did for last card
    edited February 17
    Regarding you PCS issue I don't know it just the photos but on some of the folds it look a little the there a dash line behind some of those cut lines 

It difficult to tell what going wrong without the PCS file
    Does the print preview in PCS display the lines properly

Regarding your Reg Codes if the webpage is working again this links should provide your codes
    https://www.make-the-cut.com/LostRegKey.aspx

if not you could contact Bryan his email address in of his profile page here on the forum

yes the print preview is fine shows all the dashes all ways check this but when imported to MTC and I go to cut it just slices through every thing the whole thing falls  apart bit like when you want to do a different back ground. really  WEIRED . thanks Mr zing for that link will try and see what I can come up with . one of the pics shows all is connected only when its imported that the trouble begins
    the pics were taken with my ph from the lap top that's why it might be a bit fuzzy
    I'm with @Crazy_Mr_Zing.  Can you first show a screenshot of the file in PCS?  Under File>Print Preview?    Then we may also need the actual .SVG file that's exported from PCS and imported into MTC to figure out where things went wrong. In my experience, the mountain and valley dash lines always import into MTC as dashed. Since I want them to be solid to work with scoring tool in the KNK Force, I have to remember to change them back to solid before I test out my popup card... and I usually forget!  lol
    Sandy McCauley
    it look a little like export project shapes but the paths are broken
    just unstalled both programs all back to normal in one respect all dash lines now showing as they should. even the old files one other little odd thing pops up in message box about dills plugin ect but will get son inlaw who is in IT to sort that out. programs still not quite  opening up properly but at least other things are working cheers Deb