We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Tips from A Dog Owner

crazymagscrazymags Member Posts: 7
edited February 13 in Off Topic
Pardon me for creating this thread as I am hoping to get some meaningful insights about dog training collars. It has been a struggle for me to eliminate the excessive howling and barking behavior of my Alaskan Malamute. I know that this attribution is natural for such breed, but it’s not just me who is complaining about it as one of my neighbors talk to me about my dog. I am looking forward to getting tips on how to correct it, thanks in advance.
Post edited by crazymags on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,986
    Go to the expert - Caesar Milan - The Dog Whisperer. https://www.cesarsway.com/
  • ruthgillis61ruthgillis61 Member Posts: 5,932
    Try Victoria or look at a site for your breed. In most cases - behavior issues are best dealt with by exercising, playing, tiring your pup out. Is your dog food motivated? Good luck. PLEASE try positive reinforcement versus alpha dog type training as your first option :)
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,806
    edited March 4
    @crazymags
    I had a dog that was 3/4 Malamute, 1/4 Husky. She was my rocket scientist, dog of a lifetime even though we've owned 4-8 dogs at a time (all rescues) for most of my 39-year marriage and have rescued many. Panda's howls were almost all due to happiness. I never once heard her truly bark. Only howl and growl. Her growl was a happy sound, too.

Panda had a kind and loving soul and loved every living creature. She babysat kittens, protected skunks from other dogs and shared her food bowl with them; and swam with Mallards and Canada geese. She played with cows (running up and down their food trough while they ate) and happily engaged in games of tag with horses. She was loved by those animals in return.

She could never find a dog to play with her, though because she sounded intimidating. They'd start to play and then cry "uncle" when she sounded aggressive. 

Then this black lab, bad boy stray pup showed up. He couldn't have cared less about how she sounded. They played until they dropped. Panda was only 10 months older.

"Bart" as I eventually named him, chewed everything in sight, so I took to traveling with him in appropriate weather. (This was in the early 70s before crates were a thing and I was a college student with fewer resources.) He never misbehaved in the car and loved to go for rides. I was driving a Volvo 122 in those days with push-out back windows. The catch on one was finicky. He escaped a few times, but always showed up by my side, whether I was in the middle of a mall, or on the 3rd floor of an office building. He was amazing, too. 

One day, I came out to an empty car. Where was Bart? People reported they had seen two dogs, one fitting Bart's description, romping together in a cornfield. 

I spent hours, then days searching for him. I plastered notices everywhere. 3 days later, he showed up at the local pound. I was so relieved!

During those 3 days he was missing, Panda would not eat. She would not look me in the eye, and she would not go outside unless I dragged her. She was in deep mourning.

Funny thing was, I had made an appointment to surrender him to a shelter. I was in college with little money. But how could I do that now to my beloved Panda??

I found a job waiting tables that made me unexpectedly good money, so I could afford to have Bart neutered and vetted. I got him an outside run.

Panda and Bart lived the rest of their days together. Bart lost a leg to a rare cancer when he was 10. I asked my vet if it was a fair thing to put him through. My vet said, "He'll be jumping in and out of your car in a week. He won't be worried about how he's going to grocery shop, or look in his clothes, or what his friends will think." And my vet was right. Bart never cared. They died, as they were born, about 10 months apart, too. I miss them both to this day!

Panda hated the car. She got instantly car sick. The summer before Bart showed up I did my very best to fix that. I'd travel 1/4 mile at a time. Take her to favorite places. (A lake where she could swim with the ducks.) After 4 months of daily efforts and zero progress, I gave up.

Bart loved the car and Panda loved Bart. One day when I went to leave with Bart, Panda jumped in the car behind him. My jaw fell, but well, OK, let's give it a shot.  She was never car sick that day, or ever again! She loved to travel with Bart.

Please forgive me this very self-indulgent tale of my dogs. I mean it only to illustrate that time with another dog, even if it's not yours, may help, too. They can be a challenging breed and Panda's love of all creatures was certainly atypical. I was young and naive when I got her and just lucked out.

Good luck but please know that punishing a dog for natural behavior makes about as much sense as punishing one for wagging its tail. I agree with @ruthgillis61 Exhaust, play and redirect.
    Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
    In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!