We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

tortoise sliceform

MeowMeow Member Posts: 584
I am attempting to hack my way through making a tortoise sliceform.  I have looked for books that explain how to make sliceforms and I can't find any that are what I am looking for.  I would really like to make a sliceform similar to the turtle sliceform that is in a card at lovepop.com.  I have attached a picture of it.  I am not looking for an exact replica but just the general idea.  I have managed to produce part of a turtle sliceform.  I have 5 pieces, but I can't visualize what the pieces that will be perpendicular to these will look or how their slots will be placed. I am not even sure I have the slots placed correctly on the pieces I have.  Can someone tell me how to visualize the perpendicular pieces?  That may be a tall order of a question  :(  I am attaching my MTC file that I have so far and the picture of the one from lovepop.  Thanks.  

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,869
    @Meow - Susan of SusanBlueRobot and PopUpCard Studio fame is also talented in the area of sliceform design. Check out this page:

http://www.susanbluerobot.com/2012/08/part-one-susanbluerobot-sliceform.html

And the link to the webinar where Susan shows that: 

And her file is in the MTC Gallery. Hopefully this will help you.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,227
    edited February 11
    Oh Hope i can explain this so you understand
    ignore the 2 leg cross pieces for now and the only involve the legs so don't mesh with other piece

the slots for the cross pieces need to line up

the yellow shape represent how I envisage the position 3 cross pieces

if you create stack of how to envisage the body shape would sit you can use the x and y position to position the slots
    you only need to design 3 shapes - the shape with legs and other shell be duplicated to create the other side pieces 

when i did slice form i worked on every slot being the same W and Height

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeowMeow Member Posts: 584
    edited February 11
    @Liz_A and @Crazy_Mr_Zing thank you so very much!!!  Thank you Crazy_Mr_Zing for drawing out the rest of it for me.  I wish I could visualize how to do this. 
    Post edited by Meow on
    edited February 11
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing, I forgot to ask you.  Did you make any changes to the sliceforms already in my folder?  Did you move any of the slots?  Are the slots too wide or too skinny?  I was just wondering.  Thank you so much for your help.  

Also, when you said "if you create stack of how to envisage the body shape would sit you can use the x and y position to position the slots " I know what you mean by x and y, but I am not sure how you know to make the slots deeper on the three new pieces.  How do you know to do that?  Thanks.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,227
    The card i use is about 0.8mm thick so i work on a slot width of around 1mm
    as you need a little play

I've mostly played with designing slice form that are regular shapes  egg, sphere, cubes
    I did do a shark but with some software to slice a 3d shape using other software
    I tried a autodesk 123 make and sketchup
    both were rather limiting in free version but maybe that improved

I think I changed my thought on the length of the slot
    half the depths of the shape might worked better and easier

Like I said not sure a could explain well enough to be understood but here goes

in this image the white rectangle represents the slot
    the white rectangle plus the adjacent green the crossing over card section  at that point that I would use a a guide to create the crossing over shapes

the distance between the slots need to be the same if you want the form to fold flat

I work with the shapes remaining stacked though and on different layers

to create the piece that fits in the arrowed position

Set the x position of each slot group so the are space evenly I chose a distance of 1/2"
    so set the green slot group to 7" the black slot group to 7.5" and the red slot group to 8"

the use those shapes as a guide

The white slot shapes where the cutout slots on the other shapes so the coloured shape become the cutout slots in these shapes

then copy flip and weld to create the full shape

The more I think about your project this more complicated than it seemed
    if the space between the panel is to be equal the step down in size needs to match the shape on the other direction peices

There you go clear and mud?? and the result looking in proportion would be rather pop luck

Slicing up a 3d shape you acquired online there are quite a few free sources would probably prove easier and produce a proportion shape
    I found a rather dated forum discussion in my shortcuts https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=61503

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited February 12
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing thank you so much!!  Thank you for taking all that trouble to do that.  That does help a lot.  I have looked at sketchup before, but there is a plugin that is needed called slicer or slicemodeler.  I downloaded it, but I can't figure out how to get it to work with sketchup.