We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

problems with importing pdf file [Resolved]

MeowMeow Member Posts: 584
edited February 8 in Resolved Issues
I am trying to import the free file that I have attached below into MTC to cut out on my Cameo.  Yes, I am getting started on Christmas cards early :#  I zoomed in to see if it was a vector or a raster.  I saw pixels, so it is a raster (I think).  Because of that I have to pixel trace it (I think).  The problem is that when I try to pixel trace, I am not getting everything traced with my threshhold setting at 254.  Of course, it blacks out at 255.  I would like to keep the colors on this pdf and do a print and cut.  Is there any other way to do that other than importing it at 255, texturizing, and then tracing with the bezier tool?  I sure don't want to cut it out by hand.
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,141
    I haven't looked at the file (no MTC on this computer) but have you tried to trace by color?
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,325
    This is how i would apply partial color to a shape
    for example the greyish snow drift

mtc doesn't support gradient color but I think there is also a method to simulate that shown in a webinar

first create a duplicate of you cut out shape Shift/Crtl and Click
    move that copy to a new layer move that layer to a position that layer below the other layer and hide the layer

create a shape that has the shape/ profile of where the color  transitions

Postion the color shape over the cutout shape

select the cutout shape and the color shape and boolean join - intersect
    change the color of the resultant shape

make the previous hidden layer visible

select both shape and texture snap shot

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeowMeow Member Posts: 584
    edited February 7
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing, how did you get the snowman shape into MTC?  I am having a problem with that.  I tried copying the image from the PDF, but I could not get the snapshot to work.  When I tried to pixel trace, it would not bring all of it over.
    edited February 8
    @Meow ok a misunderstood

There are a number of free online tools that will extract all the images from a pdf file

this is one
    http://www.pdfaid.com/ExtractImages.aspx

upload the pdf then choose png as the export option

download the zip file containing the images
    once downloaded you will have extract file from the zip file
    this will provide all the image files the document contains

the images appear to trace quite well

although for some reason the are larger ? actually 78% larger

easy fix  Enter 32% in either dimension box with the aspect ratio locked

perform a break and discard the numbers
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,390
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing, WOW!  Thank you for posting a link to that site. How awesome is that? :)

The only issue I had was clicking in the wrong places.  Finally figured out what to click and what not to click. lol  Here's a guide for anyone else wanting to use this site.  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,395
    Now that is definitely a handy site to make a note of for anyone wanting to trace from a pdf.  I am wondering since an earlier question on one of the forums was about passwords - will this program overcome the password problem as well?
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • MeowMeow Member Posts: 584
    edited February 8
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing thank you so much!!!  I finally remembered that I had used Inkscape in the past to do this.  The site you linked to works SO MUCH BETTER!!!  In Inkscape I had to bring in the PDF, ungroup it, click on each image and export it as a PNG file. Also, I  had trouble getting the images to trace well.  It was a mess with Inkscape.  PdFaid does it all in one step and wonderfully!!  I did not realize that a percentage could be entered in the dimension boxes.   Did you get a double image when you brought it into MTC?  I did but I just deleted on of them.
    Post edited by Meow on
    The double trace is because the each edge on the lines are is traced

if you select blackout that will result is a single trace but the inner cut line will be omitted

It would be possible to do a blackout trace and then continue and do non blackout trace and keep the inner detail of that non blackout trace

But it think far simpler to do a blackout trace and create that inner detail by manual tracing

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!