We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

i struggle with ..

mommahobbitmommahobbit Member Posts: 3,067
The things I struggle with are many but i must say MTC is one. I am just torn ,,,, Do i relearn and such MTC or do I teach the old dog new tricks and buy SCAL. I am a Diehard MTCer Di I really need the software to so more? I am not so sure . As I fiddle with the software it is comeing back and I miss the old days around here. This was the first place I went with coffee every morning. I could not wait to see what new things people had done. Will we ever get that back? Argg I do not do change well

Comments

• PennyPenny Member Posts: 2,077
    I miss the old days also. Also always enjoyed the webinars. MTC is still my go to. Have considered SCAL but I know MTC so well.
    Penny in Albuquerque, NM "Not all those who wander are lost." - R.R. Tolkien
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,314
    Well I still use MTC - had a peak at scal and said nah. (no) Stick with what I almost know as it works for me so no need to change.  I flit between serif and MTC (getting in a pickle) but that's the fun of it.  We diehards can always be found lurking around here still so pop in and chat.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • mommahobbitmommahobbit Member Posts: 3,067
    I as well download scal looked at it and the removed it lololol I love my MTC
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 677
    I have only been using MTC for two years and am still learning.  But I can do anything I think I can with it and it wasn't easy to learn and I love it now.  I looked at scal too and decided I didn't need it and didn't want to learn it.
    Member 30818
  • SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,118
    @mommahobbit I think it depends on what cutter you use. I was so into my gazelle and bought a portrait for pnc. I ended up upgrading silhouette studio to designer edition so I could import svgs I had exported from MTC. I ended up buying a cameo 3, which MTC doesn't support, so I learned silhouette studio and upgraded to business edition to get all the bells and whistles. I still use MTC to design stuff sometimes when it's easier to do so.
    I thought about SCAL, even downloaded it and played with it, but I didn't really like it. It wasn't as intuitive as MTC and SS.
    Live Love Craft
  • daffeydildaffeydil Member Posts: 2,989
    I bought SCAL and MTC about the same time and I have opened SCAL maybe three times to look at it but then give up and go back to MTC.  I have even paid for updates to SCAL but have just wasted $$$.  I really miss the 'good old days too".
    Sharon
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,160
    If MTC does what you need it to do I don't see a reason to change to SCAL
    for the most part they have  the same functions although named and sometime performed slightly differently . it just take practice to learn those different ways this is no different to most software packages
    I Use both MTC and SCAL there are some functions in one that the other lacks or that I think in one its easier to do than the other

If someone was to ask which one to buy and providing both supported their cutting machine  I would say SCAL due to that I think it will probably have more longevity . It just make sense to me to learn the software that will mostly likely support future machines should I upgrade .
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • hwganghwgang Member Posts: 2,804
    MTC isn't keeping up with new cutter introductions. I didn't want to buy SCAL for my KNK Force. Andy said he was going to give us a plugin, but in the end it wasn't even about the lack of a plugin as the lack of any communication from him that pushed me to the dark side. Let's face it, he hasn't even logged in here in a year!

Lynne
    Moderation in All Things should be Practiced Sparingly
    In KNK Love with my Zing, Eagle and the Support!
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,790
    @hwgang - we know as the Account Andy, he has not logged in...but not to say he doesn't have another account that we don't know about or he uses an admin account. I kind of doubt it, but anything is possible! It is disappointing!
  • 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 819
    edited February 4
    @DiLite, I thought for sure you were using SCAL because of the Force, so happy to know you are still using MTC.  I just mentioned you in another post, said that I thought we lost a lot of people including you to the Force and SCAL (and how grateful I am that you are still here).
    I started cutting with a Cricut and SCAL, the only thing I could do with SCAL was to resize objects on my mat.  I'm not real tech savvy, I don't do well reading manuals because I don't understand most of the terms used.  By the time I Google a term, go back and re read that part and stumble on another word, I am lost.  The webinars and recordings are awesome along with this Forum, because reading it in less tech savvy language or at least re worded a few times by different comments gives me a better idea of most things, so I have learned a lot here.
    I have wanted to say this for a while, I kinda feel bad for Andy, MTC is not Microsoft, I don't think he sold billions of copies of MTC.  By the time I came here he was not a presence so I never knew him.  I'm sure he lost a lot of what he made on the program defending it and his users in the whole Cricut lawsuit (I was with SCAL at that time so I heard their side of the story).   For a while it sounded like a lot of people were upset and coming here to complain that he had not added all the extras they wanted, but I never read anyone say they would be willing to pay him for an upgrade.  I did see @daffeydil mentioned she paid for upgrades to SCAL, and that sounds fair.  I am grateful for the program and all it does, but even more grateful for the Forum and all you do.  I'm happy to see people complaining less, I think that too has a negative effect on all of us, well at least it does on me.  I'm sorry if I have offended anyone by saying this, but we should not be surprised Andy does not come around just to hear us complain about him, I certainly wouldn't. 
    So I don't have a wish list, and I have not learned 1/10 of what this program can do but I would be happy to pay for an upgrade to make the other people here happy.  Just my 2 cents worth.  ~Diane
    PS, I'm not looking for any upgrades, just saying I would go along and pay if it would make everyone stop complaining.
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,314
    edited February 4
    It takes more then a lack of upgrades to ditch me.  I only went to Serif from Greenstreet draw when they ditched the program all together as I would be all on my own with a brilliant program but no one to share it with..  MTC on the other hand still works for me and does what I need to use the Force.  C3 in the Force doesn't need an plug in program in my view any more then a printer needs another interface.  I'm like you - stoneage - no intention of going upmarket and all the costs involved.  Andy wrote a great program - yes there are a couple of tweaks that would be nice - but in my view they would be cosmetic.  It does what it says on the box and you can still get it.  It's not been withdrawn from the market.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,790
    I have loved MTC since the moment I first opened it and it worked with my Cricut that I had at the time. It fulfilled what my expectations were when I first saw the Cricut - it had a USB port. What device with a USB port wasn't designed to connect to something, like a computer? So I bought it thinking piece of cake I (the techie) can connect it to my computer and make it work.

Fast forward...I have had MTC since December of 2009. I have upgraded from Cricut to Silhouette to Zing to Maxx Air to Force. I can still use MTC to design for any of those cutters, cut to them directly, except the Force, which has it's own built in cutting program. I also have SCAL, but don't use it much. To be truthful when I found MTC I would always have an instance of Paint Shop Pro (PSP) open on my desktop as that was my design program for everything I did in my paper computer craft world. Today not so much PSP open all the time but MTC is always open and I usually have two or three designs open as well. 

So like Di-lite, I will continue using the program, and like Diane I would more than welcome the opportunity to purchase an updated version of MTC or even MTC Pro!!!