We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Wrapping 2 diamond shapes on an oval?

Hello all,
It's been a while....

Is there a way in MTC to create 2 opposing diamonds that wrap around an oval shape so that the tips of the diamond meet? 
I need to cut spray masks for a model I'm working on and this is one feature that has got my brain fizzing. 

All help greatly appreciated.
Cheers,

The Return of the Twit! 
No one knows his real strength till it is put to the test; the highest joy in life is to discover that the soul can meet the test, and survive it.

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,378
    Lovely to see you back - I am guessing as I am not sure that you want the two diamond to meet on the central points.  Where does the oval come in.  I will do a quick drawing in Serif and put it here so that you can give me more information.  I am sure in can be done in MTC but I need a heads up first!!  LOL

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.

do either of these meet your bill ? or does the oval need to intersect the diamonds?  Help
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    or like this?
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • twitbobtwitbob Member Posts: 508
    Hi Di,
     Good to hear from you... Hope all is well!

The image below  will point you in the right direction.  ;-)

Can these masks be created using the warp function in MTC?

Thank you!!
    Twitty Bob

No one knows his real strength till it is put to the test; the highest joy in life is to discover that the soul can meet the test, and survive it.
    edited January 31
    I get the picture.  I will see what happens over night - the body of the plane should be relatively easy - not sure if it can be done in MTC easily but will see - also I see you have flat edged diamond thingies on the tail and the wing.  I think I might already have a fret like that but if not shouldn't be too hard to do one.  Then you will only have to print and paste onto the model and/or cut the shapes out of a page of it.  I might also have a go at the castle logo just for the hell of it!!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,372
    Great to see you, again, Twitty Bob!  

I think that's an impossible design, based on your need to have the tips of the diamonds meet perfectly at the tips. For starters you need the mathematical equations for the top and bottom curves of the plane, the length of the place, as well as the position where the pilot is seated so that diamonds will be placed on either side of that opening.  

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,290
    Not sure I Understand what your meaning by Warp
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,485
    Conical warp, CMZ.  But I don't think that would work in this instance.  Actually, I'm thinking this wouldn't be that hard to do.  Recall that this was likely painted by hand, "back in the day."  My guess would be the artist measured from the centerline along the top and bottom of the fuselage, to get the length of the diamonds from top to bottom.  The width would be determined by simple math so that you could get the position of the diamonds around the pilot's cockpit.  All the rest of the diamonds would flow from that both in front of the cockpit and behind it.  Basically, "cut to fit".  It doesn't seem to me that you would need to account for the curve of the fuselage, other than knowing how tall each diamond needs to be, which is what that first measurement would yield.  Keep in mind, that doing it this way would mean you could lay it out in MTC by starting with a straight line that represents the top centerline and another straight line for the bottom centerline.  As the lines progress rearward from the front of the plane they would taper towards each other.  Then you would fit your diamond shapes between the two lines and cut out the diamonds.  Getting them correctly positioned on the model would also require the centerlines to be drawn on the fuselage, but you'd need four lines.  Top and bottom and along the center of each side.  Make sense?
    Gabe,
    I think I get your meaning! Thanks for taking the time (along with the rest of you guys!) to help.

I will keep my eye on Di and see what she can come up with, but I think its going to be the 4 line method if I'm going to get anywhere near the desired effect.

Thanks all!

The Diamond Twit has returned!!
    OK so I have had a bit of fun with this at silly o'clock this morning.  I have put some diamonds of a sort into a lozenge type body but I think it's naff.  What I have done as I know you have a spray gun is created a stencil of diamonds in a gradient of sizes.  Alternately you could cut them out in vinyl and apply them.  I've done a background paper of the funny shaped diamond things; one is ready for pnc the second is so if you want to nit pick you can change the colours!  Mind you I did not group the colours together as you might want to do it in a different pattern format!  Lastly I have done the shield - again it is not in a cut prepared mode, but in segments as I thought you could cut the castle out of a preset paper or again set up as a stencil for your spray gun in the size you actually want.  Not sure if any of this helps but trying to make conical diamonds for a body that I have no idea of the actual shape is beyond me.  I do not have enough maths or experience with 3D design to manage that.  I just hope some of what is in the file helps!  It kept me quiet for an hour messing around with it.  Love to see a photo of the finished plane when you have done it.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Well my diamond friend it just occurred to me we are approaching this problem from the wrong end.  We've all got hooked on diamonds and forgot the other shape that is involved here.  Triangles!  Create a curved line with triangles hanging down and the other with them raised up and when applied so that they meet in the middle you have diamonds!
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    edited February 1
    Can you illustrate the curved line thingy with diamonds hanging down? lol

Di and fellow MTcutters,
    Thanks for reminding me (like I needed reminding...LOL) what a great place this is to come for help. Give yourselves a pat on the back from me  :)  

Di = *

Lost in a twitty triangle 
    Sure will - the idea just hit me and I think it is the easier solution.  What you need is graduated triangle hung onto a curve that suits your project.  Will set up one and then with a bit of luck you will only have to manipulate the line to get the triangles where you want them.  Theory sounds good!  LOL

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    I cheated by doing the initial triangles in Serif and then imported into MTC and used the cut thingy to curve the triangles.  What I am thinking is when you apply them to the plane as a stencil you would manipulate the curve to suit the plain and thus the triangles would fall into line. doing the same on the bottom would mean the triangles would then line up in the middle so that you could spray your pattern of diamonds onto the body of the plane.  I'm thinking that because the curve is sharper then what you want for your finished article the triangle will lay flat when you lay them onto the body.  Could be way out of line but it's a start!  You might find a better way of getting them to curve but the bezier warp seems to produce circles and not a lozenge which is what you want.  If you can get your original shape into MTC along with a notch for the pilot I can then align the triangles so that they meet in the middle and then you would apply in two halves to get your diamonds.  Doing it in two halves will alleviate a long of the problems with the three D shape.  Least that's what I am hoping!  LOL

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Something when wrong with the previous post!  Here the triangles without the chat I hope
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Hi Di,
     I can't look at any files just yet due to my internet connection being down and my main computer has MTC installed, which is connected direct to my faulty line - Happy days! You get the picture! :'(  I've been waiting nearly two weeks to have my line repaired! You couldn't make it up.

When the line is up and running I will have a play with all your early morning key bashing. Thanks, Di!!!

The Twit in the Stoneage.

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,926
    @twitbob - sorry to hear about your connectivity issues...we are so attached to our internet connections =)
    Hope they get it sorted - so annoying when you lose something you had but didn't know it could be lost!  LOL.  Mine computer blacks out every so often - I just have to make sure I save regularly as I have no warning - it just shut down.  Catch you when you are up and running again - probably a digger when through the cable.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Still waiting!!! They were meant to do it on Saturday. Meant, being the operative word! I'm told the repair will take place tomorrow...yeah, and pigs can fly!

The twit-in-the-dark-ages
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!