We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Compatibility -for Silver Bullet Cutter

Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum.
I am running Windows 7 and I have a Silver Bullet Please can someone tell me if I can use Make The Cut ...Is it compatible?  I'm Currently using Sure Cuts Alot however was looking at Make the cut ...it looks more solid and also Windows Support.

Comments

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,415
    If you are currently using SCAL with Windows 7, what makes you say it doesn't have Windows Support?  Just curious.

Yes, you can use Make The Cut with a Silver Bullet. You will need to install the Klic-N-Kut plugin and then select Maxx as the cutter model. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,150
    edited January 29
    SandyMcC said:
    If you are currently using SCAL with Windows 7, what makes you say it doesn't have Windows Support?  Just curious.

Yes, you can use Make The Cut with a Silver Bullet. You will need to install the Klic-N-Kut plugin and then select Maxx as the cutter model. 
    Sandy is right you can. I do it regularly.  To use MTC with your SB, you have to use the Maxx (Not Maxx Air) selection for your cutter.  You also have to change the baud rate listed to match that of the SB. There may be a few other things that I am forgetting of the top of my head that needs changed.  This has been discussed before here on the forum, so a search may find you more details/information on doing so. (I know I have written detailed info. out before.) 

Couple of notes that are important as well.  The SB tech support does not support users using MTC with the cutter.  You are on your own or finding users that can help.  This is because they don't sell MTC - the sell SCAL to use with the cutter. Second, MTC has not been updated or changed or modified in any way in years now.  Though it has never been addressed, it looks like it may never be.  Do you want to invest your time and effort into learning an obsolete program as well as pay extra money for it when you already have SCAL and it is being updated and supported?  I say that with a breaking heart because I have both programs and I love MTC but the reality of it is that if I was looking to learn one or the other, I would bite the "bullet" (no pun really intended until I realized what I was saying.  ;) ) and stay with SCAL and learn to use it for those reasons alone. 

If you are struggling to learn SCAL, you can find a UM for it by finding Sandy's SCAL manuals with KNK cutters on her website (see the Iloveknk.com link in her siggy above).

Like Sandy, I am curious about your comment that MTC looks more "solid" and also has Windows support?  SCAL has both Windows and Mac platforms.  MTC doesn't - it "ports" MTC to a Mac under "Wine" simulation program. SCAL pretty much can do most anything MTC can do, and it offers a few things MTC was never upgraded to offer. While I love MTC, and have used it since it's beginnings and have always preferred it over SCAL because I fond it more user friendly, without it being updated anymore I would not turn to it if I already had SCAL.

(edited to fix a couple typos after that fact. Probably are more I missed.)
    Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Make the cut is a supported by Windows. Sure cuts Alot is made by Sizzix . Thank you greatly for your help SandyMcC  and MeFlick . Cheers Thanks xxx

• I have used Scal for a good few years and the up-date of recent are not very  good .The support is Awful and they never comeback with a decent answer. I love my SB but I don not love Sure Cuts Alot. For about 2 years I have been looking for another software program, I can use ...and stumbled on to MTC.  I mostly use my SB for "Print to Cut" 
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 10,024
    @bethqueenofdarkness - Sure Cuts A Lot is owned and operated by Craft Edge Inc. which is not owned by Sizzix, not to my understanding and knowledge. 

http://www.buzzfile.com/business/Craft-Edge-Inc.-714-584-5564

Brandon is the owner, proprietor and software developer at Craft Edge.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,150
    I'm still confused by your statement "Make the Cut is supported by Windows. Sure Cuts Alot is made by Sizzix."  Both programs, MTC and SCAL are 3rd party independent programs.  Both run on Windows platform.  One is not "supported by Windows" and one not.  Their programmers wrote them to run under that platform.  Since MTC is no longer being updated, as Microsoft with their Windows platform makes more and different updates to their platform, MTC is not being updated to stay with those changes.  SCAL is.  SCAL is not "made by Sizzix" and was not even written originally for the Sizzix electronic cutters. Brandon originally developed SCAL just like Andy did MTC to work with the Circuit platform.  After both were sued by Provocraft to stop them from working with the Circuit line of cutters, both dropped support for that line and "expanded" their programs to work with different lines of cutters.  For SCAL, among others, that included the Sizzix brand.  They did an "exclusive" with Sizzix so MTC did not work with it. They "ported" or "repackaged" SCAL over to be a "Sizzix" program (ECAL) I believe but SCAL remained separate and privately owned (last I knew.) Both  worked with Black Cats, KNK cutters, Silhouette, and others to name a few.  As new cutters have been introduced in the past few years, SCAL has been updated to work with those cutters.  MTC unfortunately has not been.

I have owned both programs since their inceptions years ago.  SCAL came out first. MTC shortly thereafter.  MTC became the program that was pushing the envelope and SCAL was making changes to keep up. That changed a few years ago when the developer of MTC quit making updates, quit adding new cutters, etc.  He never updated MTC to work directly with the SB which is why we have to do a "work around" and use the KNK Maxx plugin.  That has been the reality.  MTC is still an excellent program and does many things.  I love it and much prefer it over SCAL.  But I just want to make sure that anyone new knows the "score" because I see too many people come in here saying they didn't know it was being updated, etc.  Like you, I never really liked SCAL, the support was not the greatest I agree and that hasn't seemed to have changed. I haven't kept up with the most recent updates - a lot of those I think have been to work with the newer KNK cutters, the Force and the Orbit.  If I was using my cutter and software everyday, I would take the time to learn SCAL but I don't and MTC works for me and what I want to do most of the time. But, I am like many of us, go to what is the known and most familiar.  Even though I also have a Force, when I go to cut - I tend to reach for MTC and my SB.

You can get MTC and try it out.  You would need to purchase it in order to actually cut with it.  Last I knew, they still had their 30 day money back guarantee so you could try it for 30 days and see if you like it better and can do what you want with it and your SB. If not, ask for a refund but in doing so, you are at least aware that it is no longer being supported with updates, bug fixes, etc.  Good luck.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!