We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Arlon Vinyl Yay or Nay

mausbonmausbon Member Posts: 45
I purchased this vinyl https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Sheets-12-X-12-ARLON-5000-Craft-Hobby-Cutting-Vinyl-34-Color-Choices/320977872296?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
and I am having a very hard time weeding a baby's first christmas ornament decision.

Do you think the issue could be this vinyl? This was the first time I have tried it. 
New Zing Orbit user. Using MTC since 2008. Learning SCAL Previous Cricut and Silhouette owner.

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @mausbon - not familiar at all with that vinyl product. How small is the design? What is the problem...there are bits that are not cut all the way through, or the vinyl is still stuck to the mat too much, or what? Weeding for any vinyl is basically the same technique, the issue may be not a good cut to begin with. One technique is to brayer the whole design before you try to weed, this keeps things in place that you need to stay on the carrier sheet. I see that you have a Zing, what software are you using, and did you add some squares or rectangles that could help with weeding?
  • mausbonmausbon Member Posts: 45
    Yes I just got the Zing and the design is cutting out perfectly, its just the weeding. I tried reverse and regular and the vinyl wants to take everything up. The design is about 3 x 3. I was thinking it was the vinyl because I didn't have any weeding issues when I practiced cut on some oracle. I just didn't have the color I wanted in oracle. I am going to try cutting again later in oracle to see if indeed my theory is correct about the vinyl. I have cut bigger designs and its been ok.
    New Zing Orbit user. Using MTC since 2008. Learning SCAL Previous Cricut and Silhouette owner.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    Is every cut line is cut all the way though ?
    Sometime little more force maybe required depending on the design

Something the bond to the backing sheet is the light when you weed everything come away . brayering as liz suggests can something make the vinyl stick better to the backing sheet
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 834
    mausbon  different manufacturers may have a different thickness or tolerance in their accepted thickness.  If the vinyl is thicker it may need more force to cut it than what you were using with the Oracal. Did you do a test cut first?  ~Diane
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,351
    Are you weeding the project by pulling the waste vinyl straight up or "peeling" it parallel to the surface. You'll have much better luck with the latter approach, where you kind of roll off the waste close to the surface.  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • mausbonmausbon Member Posts: 45
    Well I practiced with the oracle to see if my theory was correct, it wasn't. I think the force was the issue. I kept increasing the force. I started with 35 and went up to 40 and the results were better. I am using SCAL as I am using a Mac so it's like starting all over again with the learning curve. Coupled with the fact that I rarely do such small cuts because my previous cutters did a so so job.  Between "user" error and the force issue.