We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Zing vs Brother Scan N Cut

bobbieczbobbiecz Member Posts: 498
I am not a cutter collector.  Really, I'm  not.  I have the original yellow KNK (15").  Ancient, I know.  Works great.  I bought a Zing (15") about 1-1/2 years ago.  Like it, mostly.  Easier to travel with than the KNK.  Bought a Force (15") about a year ago.  It's still in the box since we moved.  Scared to get it out and use it.  Remember, I am not a cutter collector.  My friend is selling her Brother Scan N Cut.  Can you tell me what the advantages of that machine is over my KNK and/or Zing?  I have MTC software.  I am a newbie using it.  Previously used the KNK software.

Mostly what I cut is cardstock and patterned paper for scrapbooking and cards.  I have not even tried to do a print and cut.  Remember, i am not a cutter collector.  lol  Am I leaving out pertinent information?  

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,361
    YES why haven't you taken the Force out of the box?  Why are you scared of it.  It's just a machine and it does pnc with perfection.  If I could go from a Robo and a Silhouette cameo and tame the beast it should be a breeze for you with your KNK experience.  You don't have to learn C3 it is just the program that works like a printer!  You can use MTC and export as svg and cut anything you want to.  Come on forget the Brother and use the best tools in your tool box.  The Brother doesn't hold a candle to the Force.  LOL.

Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,265
    I guess what the brother has over the others would be the scanning part so being able to place a printed image on the mat scanning it and then cutting
    As which anything scanning process  success very much depends of the quality of the image

I'm with Di, time to get the force out Just like your other machines theres a learning process .  Grab the manual and begin working through it
    If you do print and cuts once you master the auto print and cut on the force
    I think you wonder why you waited ... Its like magic
    NO more leaning over your machine trying to line up that laser with the reg mark
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @bobbiecz - as mentioned by Mr. Zing, I do not see the advantage of the Brother cutter, the only benefit is that it can scan things. Big deal! You have to use it's software for cutting, so you would have to go through the File => Export in your design software (MTC or KNK Studio) and save as SVG then import that into the Brother software, and there is the software learning curve. MTC allows you to snag anything from a scanner if you have a regular scanner attached to your computer, so virtually any supported cutter has the same ability as the Brother. I do scan things, and this process works fine in MTC. Also if it is the first generation of that cutter, I would not buy it (it's already old news). There have been some improvements made between the first iteration and what you can purchase now. Hope that helps!
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,871
    Scan N Cut will scan objects on the mat, create cutting lines of sorts, and cut around objects without use of a computer or software. You can export MTC files in SVG format, place on a thumb drive, place the thumb drive into the SCN, select images and cut. The machine's scanner will do a background scan, and the built in software allows you to place your cutting design anywhere on the scanned background for cutting in a specific place. You can stamp an image on paper, place the paper on the mat, and let the SNC scan it, create cutting lines around the stamped image, and cut it out. If you want to use computer software, you can create, design, edit, or import designs into Scan N Cut Canvas (free online software), and send it to cut on the SNC via wireless card. SCN has only mediocre (at best) tracing ability. Brother offers an optional purchase of upgraded tracing, but I would recommended using MTC to trace instead, and export the design as SVG. You can use a regular scanner and import designs into MTC for LOTS more control in creating cutting lines. 

SNC boasts up to 1250 grams cutting pressure, which allows users to cut through all types of media. Its mat is way too thin, and too expensive. Its blade holder adjustments are not reliable.  Other machines do most of what a SNC will do. I guess being able to load my favorite SVG files on a USB drive, and plug in to scan  and cut away from the computer is what I use it for most. Placing a printed pattern paper or fabric on the mat and have the machine cut a shape from the pattern is a nice feature, when it works. 
  • bobbieczbobbiecz Member Posts: 498
    Thanks, Julie.
  • bobbieczbobbiecz Member Posts: 498
    After reading everyone's suggestions/comments, I decided against purchasing the Brother scan n cut.   One day, I'll get the Force out of the box and attempt to tackle it.

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,351
    bobbiecz said:
    After reading everyone's suggestions/comments, I decided against purchasing the Brother scan n cut.   One day, I'll get the Force out of the box and attempt to tackle it.

Do it today!  Great cutter and I'm here to help you with whatever you need to master it!  Just take things one step at a time and ask questions.  The print and cut on it, using that camera, is AMAZING! 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,905
    @bobbiecz - I agree with Sandy, nothing like the present! And think of it as you kinda owe us to do it, since we all went through the pain of the beta testing and making everything good so it's easier for you :) ROFL