We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Test Cuts and Blade depth [Resolved]

nittany1994nittany1994 Member Posts: 22
edited January 22 in Resolved Issues
I'm getting around to using my Maxx Air finally and have been following Sandy's tutorial.  I just can't seem to get the test cuts to go through?  I've tested my blade depth and it seems right (based on the video in the manual).  I've changed the pressure of the cut based on her recommendations.  It's simple cardstock and a brand new blade.  The pen test worked fine.  I'm sure it's something quite simple I'm not doing correctly.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Nikki
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,326
    edited January 16
    So your setting the blade so its exposed just enough to penetrate the card stock ?
    what pressure are you setting ?
    are you changing the blade offset to suit the blade
    What is the issue with the cut ? not cut through , tearing etc

you are more likely correct it probably just something simple
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,141
    Another thing to check is the tip of the blade it's self. While i know that you said it's a new blade, I would still recommend checking the tip of it to make sure it has not been broken or damaged. It can occur, especially when someone is trying to install it, or while first trying to learn to cut. It can also be a blade damaged in shipping or faulty from the get go but that is fairly rare.  The best way to check is in good light with a magnifying glass. Others have layer it on a copier flatbed, made a copy and looked at it.

besides that, as Paul requested, more details are needed to best try to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • nittany1994nittany1994 Member Posts: 22
    The cuts aren't going all the way through the card stock.  I'm using the red blade. I believe I had the right blade depth because I could cut through folded card stock and not make any marks on the other of the fold.  However, the test cut didn't cut through.  So I increased the blade depth.  It still didn't cut through and I started leaving scratch marks across the paper.  At that point, I increased the pressure and went anywhere from 45-60.  Still no luck. I haven't checked the tip of the blade yet, though will do that.  I also have not looked at the offset of the blade.  I will read through how/where to do that again.  Thanks for the comments!   -Nikki 
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,391
    How are you setting the distance of the blade holder above the cardstock? I recommend 25 Post It notes sitting on top of the cardstock when installing the blade holder. Is that how you're doing it?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    So I increased the blade depth. 
       Did you mean you increased the amount of blade exposed ?
    Once you have set the blade length usually it would require no further adjustment for that material
    The folded card method is a good way

If the material isn't being cut all the way through adjust the pressure and retest
    as you gain experience it will becomes easier read test cuts and adjust to suit

Bearing in mind what sandy has advised setting the blade mounting height using 25 post-its as it that blade height the give the momentum for the blade to penetrate the material every thing the blade is lowered
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Sandy, et al. I have used the post it notes (25) to set the blade height.  I have used up to 100 for my force (I am cutting a star from shapes) and am still not cutting through. I have switched to regular Bazzill cardstock. My blade offset is .35.  The blade tip is fine.  All I can think of is that maybe I don't have the blade depth right at this point?  Surely a force of 100 would begin cutting through?  What am I doing wrong?  Help please!
    What method are you using to set the blade length

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,141
    Another mistake that can sometimes be made is that the blade holder is not being seated down correctly in the clamps and is sitting up too high. You might double check that as well.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    MeFlick is correct. When you slide the stack of Post It notes out, you should feel the bottom of the blade dragging on the top sheet. Sometimes users will inadvertently push down on the blade holder seat while tightening the front screw, resulting in the blade holder being substantially too high after that. 

If that's not it, then check the inside of your blade holder for a sliver of material that may be preventing the blade from freely swiveling during the cut.  Make sure the spring isn't stuck in the opening of the cap. 

If you have another blade holder of ANY kind, try it. Possibly your blade holder is defective.  

Please post back! We'll get this resolved, even if it means getting KNK USA involved. 
    Sandy McCauley
    MeFlick, I had been using the blade depth tutorial you sent.  I can poke it through the paper and I can cut through just fine by hand.  

When I use the post it notes, I set the blade carrier in and tighten it without pushing down on it. When I pull the pad out, it does slightly scratch the top of the pad.

I don't believe it's set up too high?  The clamps hold the blade just above where the cap of the blade screws on.  This afternoon, I pulled it all apart again to be sure nothing is stuck in or around the blade.  The more pressure I use to attempt the cut, it almost starts to "rip" on top of the paper but it's not going all the way through.  I've attached the cut I made last night using 95 pressure.  It didn't even go through the back of the paper.  

Unfortunately, I only have a cricut blade holder.  It wouldn't work.  I really don't see anything "wrong" with the blade holder?  It was brand new??  Should I try a new blade? A different spring?

Thank you again for all your suggestions!  I desperately want this to work!!  I have been so excited about finally using my machine!  :(
    STAR.pdf 306.2K
    edited January 19
    I don't know much about the setting on MA
    Just as a test I though maybe try 2 passes or even three just to see it it makes it though ?
    although you may risk scorcing the mat a little
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,501
    @nittany1994, I'm curious why you have a Maxx Air, but only have a Cricut blade holder.  Or did I miss something?  If I did not miss anything, then my only comment at this time is to say that I believe you will get better results if you purchase a KNK blade holder for your MA.
    Gabe said:
    @nittany1994, I'm curious why you have a Maxx Air, but only have a Cricut blade holder.  Or did I miss something?  If I did not miss anything, then my only comment at this time is to say that I believe you will get better results if you purchase a KNK blade holder for your MA.
    She has a Maxx Air blade holder. It was my suggestion that she try a different brand if she owns one.
    Sandy McCauley
    I was demonstrating this cut for my husband last night and he mentioned perhaps its not the blade holder but the actual component/casing that holds the blade holder?  Sorry, not very technical I know!  Could it need to be calibrated since it hasn't been used?  Perhaps that's why there isn't enough pressure being exerted even at a force of 100??  Thoughts?  (and instructions on how to do that if needed). Thanks!

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,991
    @nittany1994 - going on a very recent and personal experience, try changing out the spring and putting in another one. Also, is your purchase of the Maxx Air and it's componenets (blades, springs, blade holder) recent?
    Liz_A, no, the purchase is not recent though it's never been used since i pulled it out of the box.
    @nittany1994 - OK good to know. If you want to try that, it wouldn't hurt, to change the spring, it fixed a problem I was having.
    Rather stabbing in the dark here and I have no idea if its relevant
    In the cut setting window do you have KNK MAXX Air selected
    Yay!!!  I knew it had to be something stupid simple!!!  Liz_A, thank you, thank you!  I replaced both the blade and the spring and it works like a dream!  Thanks to all those who chimed in.  Let the cutting begin!!!   :D :D
    @nittany1994 - thanks for that feedback, I really appreciate it! And so very glad it solved your problem! Happy cutting!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!