We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Suggestions on what computer to buy that works with MTC? (Liz maybe?)

hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 191
Hi.  My computer has been acting up lately.   Earlier I had thought about upgrading and decided not to because I have heard that some computers or actually graphics cards are not working with MTC and people are jumping back to SCAL since MTC is no  longer supported.  I have SCAL and hated it and really wanted to continue to use my MTC which I have been using since the very first version.   I use my computer mostly for photos (using Lightroom and photo editing software) and MTC for scrapbooking those photos.  I literally have thousands of cut files that I can use in MTC and am very comfortable using it.  I was wondering if anyone has  bought a new windows computer and has it working correctly with MTC?   If so, would you mind sharing the brand and model number you have in hopes that I can find one that my MTC will work on also?  I am not a computer guru and am already dreading the idea of having to upgrade and move everything to a new computer already.  I really don't want to have to learn a new program or switch to another program or cutter if I really don't have to so thought I would see if everyone is having issues with new computers or if there are some out there that will allow me to upgrade and work correctly with the 4.1.0 and 4.62 versions of MTC.  Ihave 4.6.2 loaded in a separate folder and use both.  Please tell me there are still some new computers/graphics cards that work with MTC.  Anyone????  Model and brand please..... or what graphics card will work at least?  (Is Liz still around?  If I remember right, she was a computer guru?  Anyone else?)  

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,991
    @hope9811 - Yes I am still here!

MTC is compatible with all current versions of Windows.

There were issues with MTC icons appearing very small WHEN the monitor is a hi-res monitor. This issue was fixed by Microsoft in the Creators update of last year (2017). There has been a subsequent update to the Creators update, so you would want to make sure all updates for Windows are done before installing MTC.

I do believe the creators update fixed the known small icon issues. I don't know of any other issues that are Windows related that were not resolved. Any brand of computer will work, there aren't really any hardware requirement specific to run MTC other than it must support Windows, so you can choose the best computer in your budget range. Usually we recommend lots of RAM. Things will work fine with 4 GB but 8 would be much better!!

Ask more questions if you need to! Happy New Year!
  • hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 191
    Liz_A Thank you so much!  You just made my New Year!  Sounds like my computer hung on just long enough.  I've had to remove the battery 5 times in the last week because it keeps locking up.  I've had it for about 5 or 6 years and it's been a workhorse but they don't live forever.  So glad to see you are still around.  I used to be a regular here and remembered you always being so helpful.  So glad to see you are still around and as helpful as ever!  Thanks again and Happy New Year to you too!
    @hope9811 - good to hear! Have fun shopping!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,328
    Which battery are you removing ?
    I surf the net on a ancient laptop . "designed for XP" so it that old LOL
    the battery failed 4+ years ago so I use it without a battery without issue
    apart loosing everything from if the power goes out which is a rare occurance where I live
    It now getting to the point that it time to find a replacement too only because its struggleing to run the more current versions of firefox as now its a resource hog like chrome
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    What is happening is my computer keeps locking up.  I can't soft reboot it, I won't let me end task anything, it just freezes.  The only solution I have found is to unplug it and then remove the battery.  Let it sit for a few minutes, cool down, and then plug it back in.  It usually starts again.  In the past, it was overheating and I finally figured out what program was getting hung up and deleted it and it's worked for about another year now but now it is freezing in all kinds of situations. Today it did it in MTC but I know what cause there.  Too many nodes in a file and I forgot to checck.  To be honest, when I check the task manager it appears to be mircrosoft that is always running.... not sure what I can delete there.... LOL.  Don't know which of those files I can keep and which ones I can delete.

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,395
    edited January 5
    After a few years of ownership, my HP laptop started overheating when certain programs were running.  I googled the issue and found out that HP laptops in particular were prone to this issue. I bought the recommended fan at the time, burned that one out last year and now I'm on my second fan. But it IS the solution for my laptop.  The difference is amazing. I could barely touch the bottom of my laptop without the fan versus not hot at all while touching it now.  Here's the fan I'm currently using:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016CL2DE6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    @SandyMcC, @hope9811 and other HP owners may want to read up here:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/hp-recalls-select-laptop-batteries-due-to-fire-and-burn-hazards/

and here:

https://batteryprogram687.ext.hp.com/

Maybe you qualify.

@hope9811 - a computer that freezes up totally is one indication of an over heated CPU, it forces a shut down when it reaches its maximum temperature, otherwise it would experience a melt-down which is deadly. Other indicators of a total freeze up include bad RAM (memory), bad sectors on the hard drive (storage device) or other malfunctioning components on the motherboard, or something not right with the electrical components. Sometimes it just may be the fan system not functioning appropriately, or the exhaust area is clogged with dust or dirt so that the exhausting of hot air is impeded. HTH
    Unfortunately, my HP laptop is from 2012. This recall only applies to 2015-2016.   It's been a great laptop except for the need to have the cooling pad.  But I don't think I'll buy an HP next time if overheating continues to be an issue with their laptops. 
    Sandy McCauley
    edited January 13
    Liz_A  SandyMcC 
    SandyMcC   I was going to buy this laptop.... would you recommend a different kind then?  So glad I jumped back on here!  I googled these and found people said they were slow, but  theirs had only 6gb of RAM so I thought that a refurbished with 12gb 2tb would fix that problem and make it more affordable.  Do either of you have any thoughts before I buy this???  I am NOT a computer guru.... I can run MTC great, but computer problems are beyond me.  I don't want one that is known to have issues I can't fix if I can avoid it.  My last two have been awesome.... I had a Toshiba Satellite for years and then an Asus for the last 6 years or so and they were both work horses  with no problems.  Any suggestions?  

HP Notebook (NON-TOUCH)

Windows 10 Home7th Generation AMD A12-9700P APU12 GB DDR4 SDRAM (2 DIMM)AMD Radeon R7 Graphics2TB 5400RPM Serial ATA hard driveFinish: Textured linear grooves with horizontal brushing in minty greenFront-facing HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated digital microphoneDVD-Writer15.6-inch diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit Display (1366x768)1x1 802.11ac WLAN and BluetoothMulti-Format Digital Media Card Reader1 SuperSpeed USB 3.02 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.01 HDMI1 RJ-45 (LAN)1 Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jackDTS Studio Sound with dual speakersFull-size island-style keyboard with numeric keypad
    Post edited by SBryanW on

Would this one be better?  It only has Windows 7.  Is Windows 10 still a free upgrade?  How would I do that?  Any thoughts on whether this one or the  HP would be better or one that is around $400 to $500?  SandyMcC    Liz_A 

Dell Laptop Latitude E6420 

Very Fast 2.5ghz Intel i5 Processor 
    Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit (Legal Copy) 
    Genuine COA/Product Key (Inside Battery Compartment) 
    Genuine Dell Restore DVD 
    Open Office Suite 
    Anti Virus/Spyware Software 
    16GB RAM 
    DVD+RW Drive 
    Huge 2TB / 2000GB Hard Drive
    14.1" WXGA High Resolution Display 
    SD Card Reader 
    Headphone Jack 
    Integrated Wireless/WiFi Card 
    Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card 
    3 USB 2.0 Ports 
    HDMI Port 
    eSATA Port 
    15 Pin Video Port 

Power Cord 
    AC Adapter 
    Integrated Touchpad Mouse 
    Integrated Trackpoint/Stick Mouse  

Brand New Battery (FREE Upgrade)

The AMD laptop will not be affected by one of the current issues that affects all computers today - Spectre and Meltdown - so it may be a better choice. My friend just downloaded the Windows 10 update for one of her laptops, so it is still available even though the last date to get it was advertised as December 31, 2017. 

The Windows 7 laptop would be good for a couple of years before needing upgrading. I wouldn't be happy with Windows 10 Home version, as it is more limiting to the user than say the Window Professional version, however that AMD laptop has more power and RAM, so if I was going to choose between the two I would pick it. It also has a larger monitor so again, better value. If I had to, I would pay to upgrade this to Windows 10 Professional.

Liz_A  Thanks..... I also found a Dell that has 16gb and 2tb intel 5 processor.  What do you think of this one?  So the HP was your choice over the other Dell.  What about this Dell?  I dont' know what the DDR3 16gb is versus the Asus DDR4 12gb but I am assuming the DDR4 is better.  So would the 16gb ddr3 be better than the 12gb ddr4?  Ugh!    These are all factory refurbished that I am looking at.    This one also has the Windows 10 pro you mentioned.

I was leaning toward the HP one you liked above, but the reviews aren't good....they said it was slow but I can't find one that shows how it does with the 12gb.   I thought HP was suppose to be a good brand but I have to admit after 1 year of minimal use on my husbands, we had to replace the harddrive so...I don't know.  What are the top brands anymore?  I would much sooner spend a little more than end up with a melon.  

Thanks for your insights.  I just like to buy one and use it forever!  Unfortunately after 6 years..... it's time to update.... hate that process not only buying but loading and making it usable!

LatitudeScreen Size:15.6in. (Matte Finish, non-glare)
    Processor Type:Intel Core i5 3rd Gen.Memory:16GB DDR3
    Operating System Edition:ProHard Drive Capacity:2000GB (2TB) !!! MASSIVE HARD DRIVE
    Processor:Intel Core i5 Quad CoreFeatures:Numerical Keypad included!, Brand New 6 cell Battery Included, Brand New AC Adapter Included, New Licenced Windows 10 Pro with COA included, NEW genuine Microsoft Office Pro Plus Included, Built-in Webcam
    Model:

E6530

Optical Drive:DVD-RW (Multi Recorder)
    Operating System:Windows 10 PRO (x64 BIT)Hardware Connectivity:DVD Multi Recorder, WiFi with 5GHz and 2.4GHz support, HDMI, USB 2.0, USB 3.0
    Type:Notebook / LaptopKeyboard:Dedicated KeyPad
    Brand:

Dell

Microsoft Office 2016 Pro Plus Suite:Full version installed & licenced with product key
    MPN:

Dell Laptop E6530 Latitude Windows 10

Storage Type:HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
    Processor Speed:2.50-2.60GHzUPC:
    Yes I too hate the process. Have had new ones sit for 6 months before I finally move everything over and install all the needed programs.

The DDR4 RAM is going to be faster than DDR3, so I would take less for faster.

I would take i7 before i5, as 7 is newer and faster generation of chip.

Massive hard drives are nice, but I would suggest partitioning them so that you have future space. Things run better in a comfortably sized container rather than a humongous foot ball field of space, as an analogy. 

Larger screen would be preferable.

Dell is generally a good product, I outfitted several offices with Dell, the business editions. Loved their replacement, the broken part would be in my office the next day.

I didn't look at reviews, LOL, just going on specs.
    edited January 9

Liz_A   So is the AMD A12 as good as the I7?  What are the differences in those?  Basically, any of these machines will run MTC, what I am looking for also is one that will run my lightroom and handle all of my edited raw photos.  Hence the large 2tb HDD.  I personally like the 15.6 size as it fits in my scrapbook space well and on my lap while designing and watching TV with the hubby.  My hubby as the 17.3 inch one.  Other than lightroom and MTC and my tons of SVG files, I only use the computer to surf the web, kids homework, FB, google etc.   I don't understand the new SDDs that is replacing the HDD hard drives but I haven't found one with a large capacity so I haven't looked into it.   So I am leaning towards the HP with the AMD12 and 2tb and 12gb  2.5 ghz.  It's about $460.00  Think it's worth that and an ok pick?   
    Post edited by hope9811 on
    I'm deferring to Liz on this one. I'm not an expert on selecting computers.  :)
    Sandy McCauley
    I'm so NOT an expert either!  LOL.  My current computer is an old one.... a refurbished Asus AMD 8, 1.9gh, 750 GB and it has worked great for about 6 years!  I have had absolutely  NO issues with it until about a year ago.   Then there was a program that was making it run all the time at 100% but when I found it on the task manager and then deleted it, no more issues until this last month.  Now it just freezes on a regular basis.  Not too hot like you were mentioning, but Just stops working in the middle of even simple tasks... it is happening more and more often so I did a backup and and now looking at replacements.  Sigh.  Wish it would live forever!  

@hope9811 - I am biased towards AMD...I build my own computers, and it's always been AMD. I haven't had any issues. I would believe that the AMD A12 is comparable to an i7 when it comes to speeds but I think the A12 is better for graphics. If you have an independent computer shop in town (not the big box names) you could pop in and pick their brains, if they are friendly folks. Usually anyone passionate about computers loves to talk about them =).
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!