We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Texture and Photos

After pixel tracing photos into MTC I have discovered that using Texture delivers a much more clear print.  But if the trace came in with cutout places in the piece, Texture removes them so the piece cuts as one solid piece.  Is there no fix for this?  In other words I can Texture my photo but have to hand-cut pieces inside the shape that would have cut out if I hadn't textured it?  So it's one or the other is what I am trying to say?
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,225
    I think I'm understanding what you want to do
    So you bring the full photo in to a rectangle shape using add texture ?
    then you want to merge the cutout shapes pixle trace traces on the same image
    Now i hope you can understand what I'm saying ???

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 678
    No I didn't express my problem quite right.
    I pixel trace a photo in (all of a sudden I got "hooked" on cute little paper houses).  I do trace them in using texture; once I get them into MTC I split and fix anything that needs to be fixed.  There might be, for example, one house wall with windows to be cut out.  When I get all the corrections made to an individual piece, if I use the Texture Snapshot (I forgot to include this important word SNAPSHOT in my first message!) button at bottom of MTC screen the quality of the photo improves immensely.  But it also make the entire wall shape one shape, so that the windows won't cut correctly.
    Member 30818
    If you set your mat color is set to contrast does the same improvement in visual quality seem evident
    if you not in contrast the images on the layers below can look faded

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I'm not sure texture snapshot is the function you need to use

edited December 2017
    if you like you can put up one of your mtc files or a link to one of the images your tracing
    In my mind I'm sure a have a technique that will work I just need to tinker a little to prove it

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,866
    Make a copy of the internal bits before doing the texture snapshot, then you have the bits for cutting.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,119
    You are correct, "texture snapshot," eliminates the multiple cut lines you might have and creates one image.  If you wish to keep the multiple cut lines/objects, then you would not want to create a texture snapshot.  If I am understanding what you are trying to do, you might be able to do that by first creating "cut lines" by doing a very thin inset shadow of the individual objects and putting them on their own layer(s) and hiding before doing the "texture snapshot." This would still give you the individual cut lines without the "texture" you brought in.

The actual physical print you are getting from MTC to the printer should not be any different from printing from your original traced images with texture and by doing a "texture snapshot."  I never noticed any difference as I recall. Remember however that by default, MTC "displays" textures on the screen in a bit of a "blurred" view (especially if not on the contrast mat) in order to save on system resources.  This can be changed in the "Help" area (if I am recalling correctly.)  To see how an image actually looks without printing it you can do a "print preview" and it will show correctly without the "blurring".  Is that what you are referring to?
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,348
    edited December 2017
    Charo I would resolve this problem by tracing in texture as a whole and then on a second layer create the cut line either by hand or by a second trace but with out texture.  You can then line up properly and use print and cut to finish up.  When printing you would turn off your cut lines so as not to interfer with the end result and vice versa when cutting.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    edited December 2017
    If you wanted the altered cutting pattern to acquire the texture of the image you could do as Diana Suggests
    A full image Trace

a Cut line trace

alter the cut line trace

then use the join then break trick

Place the full image trace above the cutting pattern in the layer stack
    select the full image trace and the cut line pattern  then join the break
    then discard the full image trace

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,866
    You can get a WYSIWYG when printing any texture images from MTC by making the Mat = Contrast. Or use File => Print Preview to see WYSIWYG.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 678
    Thanks so much everyone.  @Meflick you are right; there is no difference in the PRINT quality whether one uses Snapshot Texture or not.  The difference shows only in MTC.  So it isn't even needed for what I am doing now anyway.  And @Crazy_Mr_Zing I could not believe I never thought of tracing in a separate non-photo version of various little pieces I wanted to cut out inside a shape!  Good grief.  I am still so thankful MTC Forum exists and is still being visited.
    Member 30818
    I usually paste in place a copy of the image on another page as there are some tool that still effect layers that are hidden and or locked
    the eraser to is one such tool
    so by having the backup image can restore the original easily