We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Used Silhouette Cameo cutting 3 inches off to the right [Resolved]

tswishertswisher Member Posts: 5
edited January 1 in Resolved Issues
Hi. I've had the MTC program since it came out and currently have version 3.2.1 on 2 of my laptops. I use it with a cutting machine that is no longer supported by MTC. I just bought a used Silhouette Cameo from a local women. I have downloaded the Sil Studio. When I powered on the cameo the first time the blade housing/motor was located in the middle of the 12" cutting mat area. The Sil is cutting about 3 inches off to the right. I tried moving housing back and forth, left to right 6 times but that didn't help. There is no firmware update for this old of a machine. If I update MTC on one of my laptops can I update the firmware through MTC instead? If so how do I go about updating MTC and the firmware? And if I do update on one laptop (I wouldn't think) will it have any effect on MTC cutting from my second laptop to my older machine that is no longer supported? Thank you for any help and advice! Maybe trying to save a little and buying the oldest Silhouette was a bad idea..?

Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,096
    MTC does not update the firmware on any cutter. Firmware updates on cutters are only done by the manufacturers. Before trying to get your cutter to work with MTC, you need to get it working through the Silhouette program correctly. If it will not work correctly with the Silhouette program it is possible that the cutter is bad. You may be able to get help from silhouette support if you need to get it set up and working with their program. It sounds like something is wrong with the cutter as it should not stop in the middle when powered up or cut that far too the left to start. I have an old original Silhouette I never encountered that issue with it.

only you can decide if you want to update MTC. If you still have that older cutter that can not be used with the updated program, you have to decide if that is something you want to do. Since you have it on two computers, you could update one and not the other. It is also possible to run two versions on one computer but you need to do specific things and understand what you are doing. If interested in that option, search the forum for old posts related to doing so. They will be pretty old posts.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,158
    edited December 2017
    So you talking about the Original Cameo the model before the Cameo 2 Correct ?

Does this also happen using Silhouette Studio Software ?

I guess they call that the Cameo 1
    I found this
    Can Silhouette Studio V4 and V4.1 run my machine if I don't have a Silhouette CAMEO 3? Yes! You can use Silhouette Studio V4 and V4.1 on Silhouette CAMEO 1, Silhouette CAMEO 2, Silhouette Portrait, Silhouette CAMEO 3, and Curio. 
    Link

I never own a Cameo so some question I can't answer some question

Any firmware update to the cameo install would have to be perform using what ever means silhouette use eg through silhouette software or a firmware installer supplied by silhouette America?

Installing the latest version on make the cut on another computer will not effect the copy you have installed on any other device

There is also a method of installing 2 versions on the one device but be sure you have a backup method to install you older version  Link

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 39
    The original Cameo began shipping in the September/October 2011 time frame. I have owned an original Cameo since October 2011. I was never required to apply a firmware update. To the best of my knowledge, the first model to require a firmware update was the Cameo 2 (touchscreen model). The original Cameo and the even older QuicKuts Silhouette still work with current Studio V4.1 software.

I am not an authority on MTC and defer to the much more knowledgeable members here. Is it possible that MTC version 3.2.1 predates the Cameo and does not have the Cameo plug-in? I noticed there is a Silhouette plug-in at http://www.make-the-cut.com/Download.aspx, but it specifies MTC version 4.1.0+. I know there are consequences for updating certain MTC versions--and that very likely applies to your version--so please follow the recommendations of the previous posters.
  • tswishertswisher Member Posts: 5
    Thank you to all who tried to answer my questions. As I was messing with the machine today I noticed a lose piece and detached spring when looking at the blade housing/motor area from the left side. I took the plastic protector off and sure enough there are lose pieces just sitting on top of the circut board. Do we have anyone here that knows about the more indepth part of these cutting machines? I am very mechanically inclined and willing to fiddle with it but I don't know much about circut boards. Thank you for any advice.
    edited December 2017
    A few photos may help

Though I've come across a few page of people repairing and or re purposing old cricut machines and therefore show images dismantling them
    I can't recall the same for silhouette machine
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    As you were having positioning problem Just wondering if the cog belt that moves the carriage is loose maybe the springs are from the tensioner
    What I noticed first is it kinda looks like there should be another plastic piece protecting the left side of housing. Then not sure you can tell in this pic but there is an extra piece of plastic leaning against the screw that holds that circuit board in.This is where the lose pieces where sitting. Not sure this matters but the spring is the purple and black plastic piece is the white.This is a shot of the circuit board and the numbers on it. I've googled Graphtec PN0011-02B and find nothing.This is the spring and black piece that were lose. I can't find a spot on the black piece that looks like it was broke off of anywhere. I'm wondering if the spring slides through one of the holes on the side and is suppose to attach some where.It kinda looks like this piece might have super glue on it but I couldn't tell in my lighting. Maybe I should try looking with a magnifying glass since this is the area the lose pieces where sitting.
    edited December 2017
    I'm going to hazard a guess if the marking sw201  refer to that component that may mean (switch 201)  possibly the spring is part of the switch
    Now another guess would that switch is the carriage end of travel switch

Does the white bit slide inside the black housing
    I suspect the white bit may move in the back and forth direction of the red arrow and the spring may fit in where the blue arrow points
    If it was a end of travel limit i would expect the normal switch position would be with the white bit fully out in the red arrow direction with the spring holding it there

I am attaching two photos of my Cameo. The first photo shows the blade housing/motor area. The white peg labeled in this photo extends outward and appears to be spring loaded. The second photo shows the Cameo's interior left side. My Cameo has a rectangular indent that receives the black tab. There is a smaller square protrusion to the right of the indent that corresponds with the position of the white peg. I suspect that it depresses the white peg. I hope this helps.

If you try and reassemble the switch I would advise against using a non removable glue like instant super glue as you would only have one chance of getting it right
    I'm guessing a little but when the switch is activated it probably also corrects the carriage movement position which may explain your 3" offset ?

Thank you all so much. I got the switch put back together and in place from your replies. Although I started messing with it before I read the last. I did try 3 different kinds of super glue. They wouldn't dry fast enough. By the time I used the 3rd there was to much build up and the switch wouldn't move. Packaging tape did the trick and it's cutting exactly where it is suppose to now! I really appreciate all of your help!
    That's great
    I forgot to mention often these type of micro switches are not custom that said I did a little search for L22 as it the only marking in the photo I could make out ? I was unsuccessful finding anything the looked like this switch
    So maybe in the case it is a custom switch

Wonderful! Happy to hear that the switch repair successfully resolved the cutting issue. I learned a few things along the way, so thanks to all for adding to my knowledge base.