We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

KNK Zing 3 Point Calibration for Print and Cut - Up Arrow Issue

QuanitaQuanita Member Posts: 76
Hi, I am hoping someone has come across this before and may be able to help.

My cutter has been in storage for well over a year (i had a daughter and well that cut's out a lot of crafting time).  My daughter's first birthday is coming up on the 8th Jan and I would like to do some crafting for the party. All of my knifepoint cuts have worked as expected.

BUT...
when I try to set up print and cut (just going over the arrow tutorial from the manual to refresh and re-calibrate if necessary).  I set the blade origin fine, but when I get into the screen that has the 3 points where I am moving the laser over the points.  If I press the up arrow the first time (either using the mouse on the screen or using the keyboard)  the mat moves up about 6-8 inches (as if I had a large increment setting but the increment is set to 4).  If I press the down arrow after it works as expected with a tiny increment but will only let me press down once (the same amount of times I pressed the up arrow) so I go up 6-8inches and then down 1mm and can't move further.

I have downloaded and installed the most recent plugin and most recent drivers. Switched the machine off and on, closed and created new MTC projects.  Closed and Re-opened MTC.

I have also ignored the up arrow and tried to get the laser as close as possible to the mark without using the up arrow (to see if the 2nd and 3rd points would compensate for the difference) but the same thing happens on the second point. If I try to use the up arrow, it moves the mat 6-8 inches up.

when I am setting the blade origin the up arrow works as expected, it is only for setting the points in print and cut that this issue is happening.

my setup:
cutter: KNK Zing
Windows 10
Downloaded and Installed Latest Make the Cut Zing Plugin and Latest Zing Drivers from KNK
I may not have the latest version of Make the Cut installed (will that help?)

Thank you for any assistance/hints/tips

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Very New to Cutters - Zing Arrived 24th Jan 2013 - Craft Geek in Australia [Blog|Flickr]

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,926
    @Quanita - what UP arrow are you using? A standard keyboard has two sets of them, one where they are all grouped together and the 2nd set is merged in with the number pad, and accessed when the NUM lock light is off. Use the grouped arrow keys.

Also, there is a known bug in the software where if you use the arrow keys to move more than one inch of distance, you experience difficulties. To avoid, start the process with the mat not locked in. Once you get to the first reg mark recognition process, place the mat into the Zing, and set the laser over that first reg mark, clamp into place. Now use the on screen arrows to position more precisely. Follow the instructions in the section 9.03 PNC Procedure Part 1: Setting Up and Printing and make sure that you have done your PnC calibration.

http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/KNKZing/KNKZingwithMTCUserManual.pdf
  • QuanitaQuanita Member Posts: 76
    Hi Liz, thank you for your help.

I am unable to do the PNC calibration because of this issue as I need to be able to do move the laser to do the calibration.

I am using a laptop keyboard with the group of arrows, I know there is some function key I can use to activate the arrows that are attached to the number keys but I haven't used that.  I don't think it's a keyboard issue, since the same thing happens when I use the mouse to click the up arrow (once) on the user interface.

I should be able to move the mat to the position of the first point and then clamp, but as I have explained this same issue happens when I get to the second point, and from then on I am assuming the software/machine works by knowing the relative distances between the points, so moving my mat will no longer work.

I will try this option though and get back to you, I am at work at the moment so will only be able to try this in about 8 hours or so when I am home again.

Thank you again I really appreciate your quick response!
    Very New to Cutters - Zing Arrived 24th Jan 2013 - Craft Geek in Australia [Blog|Flickr]
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,290
    edited December 2017
    Ok not used my zing for a while
    are you set to portrait in MTC and loading the material in portrait direction in the zing
    set to landscape in MTC and loading the material in landscape direction in the zing
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Hi Mr Zing
    I've been using portrait mode, I did not try to use landscape - it confuses me lol.

but I will try that as an option too, did not think of that!

Thanks, I feel so much better having things to try out.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,290
    edited December 2017
    I use portrait mode top I find it easier as well
    as long as your using only one there should not be an issue

Have you tried this method

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Hi,
    thank you so much using the switch to landscape instead of portrait worked for me. More than happy to work with that :)

I would not have thought about changing that and am beyond appreciative for the advice.

I have not tried the video instructions which I think is one of the options that Liz suggested, so unsure if that would also work.

I am so excited, I want to start tonight, but have to get my daughter to sleep now and will craft again tomorrow.

Thank you so much both of you!