We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Looking for a new cutter!

enaidenaid Member Posts: 195
Hi, I am looking for recommendations to a new cutter. I have narrowed my choice down to the KNK Force and the GCC iCraft! These are the two that I could find with the best reviews in my price range. I am open to other suggestions though so any and all recommendations will be great. My main need is for a consistent print and cut! It must cut the same tomorrow as it did yesterday and today, which my cameo does not do! And.. come on you knew there was going to be an and.. ;) I want to still be able to use MTC, if possible. More that I have so many files already waiting that I know cut well, and I really don't want to jump off the ship just yet! So if there is anyone using the KNK Force (which is the one I think I need) or the iCraft or even any others please let me know! Oh and if it makes a difference I am in Australia :) 

Diane Victoria, Australia Proud, but constantly challenged owner of a 18" Black Cat Cougar.

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,262
    edited December 2017
    Are you sure the make the cut is compatible with the GCC Icraft
    I seem to recall these machines being available for some time ago  I though they may have been discontinued perhaps this is a new model ?

There appears to a great difference between that gcc icraft and the KNK Force

As make the cut has not been updated in a number of year it it not compatible at or offers limited compatibility to most if not all of the new model cutting machines

What materials would you want to cut ?

Another machine you may wish consider is the KNK Zing Orbit
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • enaidenaid Member Posts: 195
    Thanks @Crazy_Mr_Zing, yes I figured it was an odd pair to choose from, but there is only about $150 difference in price! I guess if I have to I can still use MTC to design with and use the onboard program to cut! But I haven't found anything or anyone to tell me if the Force is the more accurate for print and cut :)
    Diane Victoria, Australia Proud, but constantly challenged owner of a 18" Black Cat Cougar.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,350
    The Force has the rarely-found ability to offer both manual and auto PNC using a camera. It is extremely accurate and my go-to cutter for PNC applications. Here's my litmus test for PNC accuracy that I like to run on any cutter I test: 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,901
    When it comes to comparisons between the Force and the iCraft, here are my quick observations based on the video of the iCraft and experience with the Force:

- iCraft is really a featherweight compared to the Force (350 grams of force to the Force's 4000)
    - dual tool heads Force, single tool head iCraft
    - Manual & AutoPNC Force, iCraft Auto, if it is not going to read those reg marks, its not going to read them...they remind me of the Silhouette SD I have
    - price range is diverse, the one page I found that sells iCraft listed a sale price of $299.00 but the product is no longer available, and I found it at $375 on another page. The Force is listed at $629.00 on the KNKUSA.com website

So really at first glance these cutters are not comparable at all. If you were to compare the iCraft with an older Silhouette Cameo, maybe, yes.

That said, no matter what, the KNK Force is a MUCH better deal than the iCraft. IMO
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,124
    One note in regard to using MTC with the Force.  You cannot cut directly to the Force with MTC.  There is no plugin from MTC to the Force.  However, you can export your files out to SVG from MTC and open the SVG file in the Force's onboard program, C3, to cut from.  SCAL does have a plugin for the Force and would also import the MTC SVG file.

As much as I love MTC, and wish that Andy would/could keep it up with the most recent cutters, it hasn't happened and doesn't appear its going to happen since none have been released in years now. So, I would not "wed" any new cutter purchase to the "need" to have it work with MTC. Even if you have a large library of MTC files, you need to be exploring what other options you have for taking those files to newer cutters and thus possibly other software.  The good news is that Andy provided many export options out of MTC so you should be able to do that.  SVG would normally be the best option as most cutter programs have seemed to have adopted that as the "norm" for importing/exporting. While its great if we can still use MTC, time marches on and you need to find what works best for you now and it may be a cutter that will not work directly with MTC any longer.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    After lots of discussions and lots and lots and lots of YouTube videos, we have decided (I think) to go with the Force! It is around the $1000 mark here in Australia and the iCraft (with postage) was a bit over the $800. I am hoping that I can get my head around using SCAL and a new cutter! I have started to export some of my MTC files, well the ones that I think would be used again, and am really thankful that Andy did give us that choice. I know that I have got spoiled and lazy using MTC and the one video that I watched on using SCAL almost gave me a breakdown, so many buttons that I possibly need to change in order to cut! I guess the one good thing is that there are just so many videos out there to help with the Force. I am almost hyperventilating at the thought of having to learn yet another machine, but hopefully this will be short lived! So thanks so much to the people who replied. Fingers crossed that I can make it work! ;)
    @enaid - good decision! You can get a head start on things by visiting Sandy's KNK Force support webpage:

http://www.iloveknk.com/support/knk-force-support-page/

There's the awesome User Manual, and all sorts of good information there.
    Thanks @Liz_A! I did ask the question on another forum and was told no KNK, no reason when I asked, just personal preference. But she did say run from anything Cricut, so I felt that was justified!!  I have dealt with Sandy before when I couldn't work something out and she was so easy to talk to, so now all we have to do is work out whether we will drive to the city to get it or wait for postage! 
    Awesome, then you will be very comfortable with your cutter!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,350
    Knowing that print and cut is important to you, then I KNOW you've made a great choice.  I look forward to helping you!
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/