We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cut Order

I have a KNK Zing Orbit and am using Make the Cut software. I have a large (12" by 24") somewhat complicated design that I drew and imported into MTC via pixel trace. When it is cutting it does not cut one area at a time, rather it does a few cuts her and a few cuts there. Buy the end of the project things do not line up. Is there a way to to make the file cut in a more organized manner?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,635
    @cetacean - MTC cuts all inner shapes first, then cuts the outer shapes, gong from right to left as you face the cutter, with the Mat Orientation set in Landscape. To follow the cut path, you can preview that by choosing View Path Detail when you have everything selected, click the wrench icon from the bottom of the MTC window.

To control things. put shapes on their own layers, and then hide layers and send visible ones to cut first, then hide them, unhide and cut, hide, and so on.

If things are not lining up at the end, maybe provide some support under the mat on the back side of the cutter...books work well. You may be cutting too fast, or with too much pressure, or the tip of the blade is gouging into the mat and causing it to twist. You can slow down the speed, retract the blade tip slightly, and cut twice at a lower pressure to ensure better success. Other tips can be gained by visiting the KNK FB pages where you might get faster responses to your questions as it's quite a bit busier there:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KNKZing/
  • cetaceancetacean Member Posts: 7
    @Liz_A Thank you for the response. I posted my question in the Facebook Group along with a photo of the file I am trying to cut.
    I did the View Path Detail. It looks very daunting. 397 shapes 1974 Segments 5763 points and 5371Nodes. I have no idea where to start.
    I am cutting a paper that I use frequently with the setting I typically use. As with most people who come to a form I am frustrated. I have about 15 hours in the projects (each of the center triangles has 3-7 nested duplicate layers cut out and glued together) and the only thing I need to finish is this top piece.

• Chubby_NinjaChubby_Ninja Member Posts: 55
    Might be an idea to post the image here too so we can understand the project.

I generally like to use a vector program to trace lines in rather than pixeltrace, I find it more accurate. Some apps to consider are, inkscape <(Free), Affinity Designer <(My fav approx £50) and of course illustrator < (Expensive) are just a few tools
    iMac 27inch Late 2015 Fully Loaded, Dell Inspiron 5767 17inch laptop.
    Affinity Designer, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Sketchup, C4D, Blender.
    Believe it or not I drew the file in inkscape, however when I brought it into MTC I lost the line thickness I wanted. I need to spend more time playing around to get it to import the way I would like.  I have not heard of Affinity, I will check it out. Thank you! I Posted the a pic of the file also.

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,635
    @cetacean ; - Inkscape allows line thickness (which is kind of a rasterish thing), which is not recognized by MTC which looks for a path that connects nodes. So those attributes would be ignored. FYI

In MTC we manage that by applying a shadow layer, the measurement used would be enough to make up for the loss of thickness. In essence you create a thicker shape of the file, knowing that all shapes are outlines and that is what MTC cuts. HTH
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,000
    In inkscape you can use path>stroke to path

I not sure breaking the pattern in group will completely overcome any misalignment that caused by other factors although all the extra blade travelling may exaggerate it

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Chubby_NinjaChubby_Ninja Member Posts: 55
    That's practically a post modern geometry work of art lol

So you drew the design in Inkscape, exported it as an image and pixel traced into Make The Cut (MTC)?

Assuming the last sentence is correct, wouldn't it have been better to export it as an SVG file and use the SVG import option?
    iMac 27inch Late 2015 Fully Loaded, Dell Inspiron 5767 17inch laptop.
    Affinity Designer, Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Sketchup, C4D, Blender.
    @Liz_A Thanks! I will try that with the next one. I have done a number of patterns and this is the first time I cannot get the final layer to cut out. Watching the blade go all over the mat is crazy.
    @Chubby_Ninja The sentence is correct. I tried importing as an svg, that is when the lines became too skinny. I will try Liz_A's suggestion on the next project. I cannot make any changes to the layout on this file because it is the final layer and the lower pieces would not line up.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,412
    @cetacean, unfortunately, that is the way MTC was programmed and it doesn't look as though allowing the user to define the cut order is something that will become available in MTC.  We can only hope.  You might want to experiment with other software that works with your Zing. I'm not familiar with anything except MTC, but I hear there are a couple of different cutting programs that will work.