We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Is this software still supported?

Considering the software hasn't had an update since 2015, I'm starting to wonder if I made the wrong choice. Is it still being supported by the author? Will there be any updates? Ever?

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    edited November 15
    @Elpooty - the developer has not communicated an answer to any of those questions. It is in essence, a crap shoot. Support is offered here on the forum by experienced users and knowledgeable techie types. There hasn't been any significant bugs in the last few years, so I seriously doubt that any will emerge at this point. We just won't be able to take advantage of new cutters as they emerge with a direct connect, or acquire new features, but we can still make full use of the design features..

That said it still is a great product, and I find that for features, it has everything I need or want, and some of utilities work better or easier than the same feature in software such as Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). 

What cutter do you use, what software are you knowledgeable about, if any? I see you just joined today.
  • ElpootyElpooty Member Posts: 3
    edited November 17
    Thanks, Liz. I've been using MTC on a Silhouette Cameo 1 for a few years now. However, the software has started crashing on me whenever I am breaking a larger image. I've started having to go into Inkscape to break it and then back into MTC to do everything else I need to do. It's frustrating and the reason why I came looking for an upgrade. 

I'm considering upgrading to the Cameo 3 (or 4 if it ever comes out). Will MTC still work with that? 

It is a great software and I find it easy to use, but I know there are improvements that could be made and while I appreciate you all helping folks, I find it frustrating that it's essentially no longer supported by the creator. 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    edited November 17
    There is no plugin for the Cameo 3  it has been report by other the current plugin allow will cut to the cameo but the position of the cutting is way of
    the use of the second tool is not a option with the current plugin either

are the file your work a result of pixel tracing ? if you have not tried already you could enable image cacheing in advanced setting
    also if the images you tracing are large you could reduce there size and dpi in another application before pixel tracing
    also crop away any unrequired background

there no advantage tracing a image that is 50"x 60" into make the cut for a 12x12"  project

You could try the Demo Sure Cuts A Lot it  supports cameo 3 and although its a little different to mtc it not to difficult to learn
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Elpooty - I think I would agree with Crazy Mr Zing...if your image that you're starting with is very large quality size, so a photograph or hi-res jpg image of some type, you may experience this problem. Try using a program that will let you reduce a jpg or png file to a more reasonable size to work with.
  • ElpootyElpooty Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, all. No, they weren't necessarily high-res, but they are the result of pixel trace. I've never tried image caching. I'll give that a try.

I'm bummed to hear I'll have to go to something else if I get a new Cameo. What do you guys think of SCAL? Should I go that route or go to the Silhouette Designer app?
    @Elpooty - I updated mine because I have KNK Force, it will cut directly to that, but I do all my design work in MTC, because I know it, it's easy for me. I think most of the KNK cutters are now supported in SCAL and KNKUSA offers that software on their website, and stopped offering Make The Cut! because they wouldn't provide updated drivers or develop new ones.
    AT first I thought SCAL was to different but its growing on it includes most of the functions of MTC if not all the regularly used one although some work a little differently or have different names
    There are some i even find easier
    for any I stumble upon a always have make the cut to fall back on for now
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • JacksonistaJacksonista Member Posts: 153
    Crazy_Mr_Zing--Does SCAL offer wireframe in their printing options like MTC?  I use it all of the time.  I love MTC and am finding it hard to let go of.  Thanks!
    SCAL allow setting of both stroke and fill colour and stroke weight so I think that how you could achieve a wireframe print
    You can try SCAL in demo mode it limited much the same as MTC watermark cuts and save restriction or watermark on saved files
    as I understand it the basic version has no time limit but the pro version expires after 14 days
    I still have not let go of MTC although I'm finding I'm needing to revert back less as I learn scal different ways of doing things. some I find a little better than MTC some not so much

@Jacksonista - what cutter do you have? SCAL supports more cutters and more new cutters than does MTC. Look here at the cutter support, wireframe may not be necessary.

http://craftedge.com/products/products_scal.html
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,099
    I've always used whatever program works best for what I need at the time. That now includes 4 different programs!  lol  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/