We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Oracal 631 vinyl help [Resolved]

SheriSheri Member Posts: 534
edited November 16 in Resolved Issues
I am putting a saying onto 4x4 shiny tiles. My problem is I have tried everything I can think of for transfer tape and am not getting anywhere. Paper med tac will not pick up the vinyl, same problem with painters tape, orical transfer tape, clear med. Tac, the only thing that would lift it was R tape high tac but the problem with that was it would not release the vinyl onto the tile. I tried contac shelf paper too . Is there a option I am missing. I have 100 of these to do.
Post edited by Gabe on

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    edited November 9
    I've not used Oracal. I read that 631 requires a high tack transfer tape. 
    The other comment I have read is of people having the backing sheet actually de-laminating in places with the top layer remaining attached to the vinyl.
    To prevent this, they recommend ensuring the cut is not too deep. The backing sheet should have no more than the slightest of markings from cutting the vinyl.
    Post edited by Gabe on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • marsmars Member Posts: 1,117
    How are you cleaning the tiles to prep them for the vinyl?  Extra attention to this step may help you get good adherence.  Also when you apply the vinyl really press it down - (the adhesive is called pressure sensitive for a reason)

Using one of the less aggressive transfer tapes try really pressing down on the front and back sides of the piece - I use a hard plastic squeegee.  Press down with the squeegee nearly vertical and go in overlapping strokes then turn a quarter way around and do again (going 90 degrees crosswise of the first path)  Then turn the piece face down and repeat.

When you lift the cut vinyl from the backing go slow and coax the edges of stubborn pieces with the tip of an exacto blade.   Press it WELL onto your tile - use the squeegee - and pull the app-tape back slowly - any lifting? stop and put tape back and redo the squeegee bit.

Still no joy? try different vinyl Oracal 651 would be more durable on the tiles.  A different piece of 631 might work better.  Some material, I am convinced, becomes stubborn for any number of reasons -- maybe the batch it came from or maybe the length of time you have had it - or it sat somewhere too hot or too long before you acquired it.  

Good luck,

Mike
  • Barb_craftroboBarb_craftrobo Member Posts: 38
    I don't use the Oracal vinyl but I do use the translucent R tapes with great results. For items with small details, I sometimes leave the transfer tape on for a few hours after applying the vinyl to the surface. It gives the vinyl adhesive a chance to set up and adhere to the surface better.

A while back I tested this with a glass jar that I applied a vinyl decal, left the transfer tape on, and put it out in the sun for over a week. The R tape came off cleanly and the decal was fine.

Good luck!
  • SamZzzSamZzz Member Posts: 1
    Sheri said:
    I am putting a saying onto 4x4 shiny tiles. My problem is I have tried everything I can think of for transfer tape and am not getting anywhere. Paper med tac will not pick up the vinyl, same problem with painters tape, orical transfer tape, clear med. Tac, the only thing that would lift it was R tape high tac but the problem with that was it would not release the vinyl onto the tile. I tried contac shelf paper too . Is there a option I am missing. I have 100 of these to do.

Is there a reason you are using 631 instead of 651?

631 is more of a temporary adhesive mostly used for wall decals.. things you want to be able to easily remove the vinyl from.

651 would be a better option for something with a smooth surface since it's a stronger adhesive and would be less prone to peeling up with when you remove the transfer tape from the tile.

Even though it's temporary I still use 651 when I make stencils for glass etching because it sticks to the smooth surface better than 631 does.

That being said.. I use this paper tape from Amazon for both 631 and 651 with pretty good results. I've made decals using both materials that I've applied to motorcycles and helmets and this tape worked for each instance. Just make sure you are burnishing it REEEAALLY well. I have a hard plastic scraper (called a L'il Chizzler - also purchased from Amazon) that I use to make sure I get all the air bubbles out and rub the crap out of it to get it to stick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R3NITS2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• SheriSheri Member Posts: 534
    Thank you everyone.  I was using 631 because that's all I had. I actually took my project to a vinyl place and they also had a tough time with it. I did purchase 651 while I was there. The paper transfer tape did not work with that either. They had given me a small sample of medium tac clear tape and that ended up working the best. Still not easy but was doable.  Yes I cleaned tiles with alcohol first to remove any oily residue.  Needless to say I got the project done.
  • Little_BerryLittle_Berry Member Posts: 5,759
    My Uncle Dave used clear contact paper
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,099
    I don't lift the vinyl off the backing sheet... maybe that's the issue?  Instead, after rubbing extremely hard with a scraper, then I would flip over the piece and roll the backing sheet away. Rolling means not pulling straight up but rather pealing off so that the backing sheet stays as close to parallet to the vinyl as possible. It makes a huge difference.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/