We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Please help me choose the right large-scale cutter

artbymloartbymlo Member Posts: 1
edited November 1 in General
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and after I read several discussion and search results, I thought I will address my questions with a separate post. I am about to buy my very first cutter but I have a few questions and hoped for your input to make a decision.

Background:
  • Based in Canada
  • I would like to cut mostly watercolour paper 98-140 lb respectively 168-300 g thick, therefore I think I have rather low force requirements
  • Ability to cut precisely patterns with approx. 800 holes sized 13/56 x 1/8 inch rspectively 5x3 mm
  • Ability to cut 18 x 24 inch paper sheets
  • Ability to import Adobe Illustrator files

Questions:
  1. Based on my paper sheets, I found the Silverbullet and the KNK Zing, which one would you recommend?
  2. From what I read and saw, I assume I will need a cutting mat?
  3. Where can one get these large-scale cutting mats? Neither of these manufacturers offers sufficiently large cutting mats in their online shops.
  4. Is there anything else I should consider in my purchasing decision?
Thanks so much.

Regards,
Martin

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    edited November 2
    @artbymlo - Hi Martin (am based in Edmonton). You would like need something like the 24" KNK Zing Orbit in order to accommodate the width of 18 x 24 inch paper sheets. The software would be SCAL, and it can import SVG files, so as long as you export as SVG (as the best choice) from Illustrator, you are good. No cutting software that I am aware of cuts native AI files.***

1. KNK 24" Zing Orbit
    2. Cutters are generally sold with at least one mat (at least 12 x 12) (useless without :) )
    3. Mats can be made from a variety of materials, likely you could source them locally (where are you located?) or cut your own.

Since watercolour paper comes in a huge variety of weights, and other factors like synthetic versus natural fibre, etc. it might be wise for you to have samples of your paper tested with part of a pattern that you would want to cut by KNKUSA on a Zing Orbit.

*** a correction, yes, MTC and SCAL will import AI files. I didn't have success with AI or EPS files way back when, so I totally discounted MTC's ability to handle them. If there are raster bits in them, may be an issue. 
    Post edited by Liz_A on