We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Laser printers

katieanneliese1katieanneliese1 Member Posts: 2
Hi, I'm new to this.. just purchased a Heidi swapp hot foil machine! Basically I want to be able to print onto cardstock.... but can't seem to find a laser printer that can handle card stock 250-300gsm. Does anyone have any advice on laser printing onto card? Thankyou :)

Best Answer

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    Accepted Answer
    Maybe a forum or blog dedicated to Heidi swapp hot foil machine may provide current printer recommendations

I found a mention of straight-thru paper path  that sounds what you might be looking for
    I found one there maybe more no idea if it compatible with the foiling process

The Brother HL-L2300D
    Straight-through paper path
    A manual feed slot and rear paper exit provide a straight-through paper path to ensure that all of your printed materials always look their best.

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files

Answers

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    My quite old HP laser handles 250gsm never tried 300gsm

I've never try foiling but have read some printer manufacturers use toner is not compatible with foiling. maybe a myth ?

Check the printer spec's they will say what weight they are capable of

My rule of thumb is the less arduous the paper path the better
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • katieanneliese1katieanneliese1 Member Posts: 2
    > @Crazy_Mr_Zing said:
    > My quite old HP laser handles 250gsm never tried 300gsm
    >
    > I've never try foiling but have read some printer manufacturers use toner is not compatible with foiling. maybe a myth ?
    >
    > Check the printer spec's they will say what weight they are capable of
    >
    > My rule of thumb is the less arduous the paper path the better

Thankyou ... maybe if I try using thinner card! I have had some card samples and really like the ones that are 300gsm . I just got a Samsung printer .. but unfortunately it bends the card through the rollers :( so ideally need a manual feed printer.
    I just wondered how everyone else manages to hot foil onto card... I'm begining to think it's mission impossible
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,652
    @katieanneliese1 ; I do quite a bit of foiling and I use a Brother 2270-DW laser printer.  Brother probably has a newer model number.  I have had this quite awhile. I use the manual tray.  Since it has to curve up to come out the tray after it is printed, it does slightly curve the paper.  I just take the ends and gently bend in the opposite direction to straighen.  Works pretty well.
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho