We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

What Cutter should I buy?

SheriSheri Member Posts: 534
I have not been on here for like 5 years and I am sure there is a lot of new stuff going on. I need to come back and start reading. My question is what machine should I purchase? I have MTC and a Cricut Expression. I mainly use this program for the fonts. I do signs and such. I dont use it a lot either. Right now I am in the middle of making 100 4x4 tiles and my cricut has locked up on me 3 times. I dont need a fancy cutter just one that will cut fonts all the time and once in a while a figure. I dont do print and cut.
Thank you for your help

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    @Sheri - good to see you post again, although it hasn't been that long, you did post some time in 2015, 2016!

Probably the best thing about the newer cutters is their ability to have two tools loaded. KNK came out with the Force, it has two heads. May be a bit over powered for your needs. Both Cricut and Silhouette have new cutters on the market, the new Cricut Maker is a knock off of the KNK Force (literally). KNK just recently also introduced the Zing Orbit, but it only has the ability to load one tool at a time. You could use MTC with it, as even though MTC is not updated, it will cut to the Orbit, just not do print and cut, but you have said you don't need that. You would likely want to update your MTC, the updated version available on the Make The Cut! website.
  • SheriSheri Member Posts: 534
    I will check those out. If I get the cricut Maker, didnt even know this one exsisted lol, will it work with MTC 4.1.0?
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    edited November 1
    MTC will not work Directly with the Cricut Maker (or Any Current Cricut Machine) , Silhouette Cameo 3, Silhouette Curio, KNK Force

MTC has Limited ability to Cut to the NEW KNK Zing Orbit

SVG files exported from MTC can be cut on the KNK Force via its on-board Software , Silhouette Studio if you upgrade from the basic version
    Possibly Circut's software (not sure)

Edit: added more detail for clarification Thank you Meflick
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SheriSheri Member Posts: 534
    How is the Silhoutte Cameo 3? That is more in my price range.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    @Sheri - I believe you cannot take advantage of the dual heads on the Cameo 3 with MTC, you would have to use the Silhouette software for that. A lot of people design in MTC and then export to SVG to cut in Silhouette, which now allows you import SVG files.
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,028
    MTC will not work with . . .  KNK Force , . . . 
    Just a note of clarification in regards to MTC and the KNK Force, the KNK Force has its own built in software program called C3 that works with SVG Files you create in other software programs like MTC.  As a result, you can use MTC with the KNK Force, just not directly - you would import your MTC file to an SVG file and open that with the C3 program.  Easy enough.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    Another option if you were to go with a silhouette cameo 3 would be rather than pay to upgrade to a Silhouette studio Version that would allow svg import

Would be to purchase Sure Cuts A Lot as it would allow cutting directly to the Cameo 3 and also allow import of SVG file
    Personally I rather buy software that does Not lock me into one manufacturerer

SCAL is a little different to MTC to use but not that different
    I think you probably find the transition to SCAL easier than that of Sil Studio

Both software option are available as a demo in SCAL or Full basic version in Sil Studio You could try them out yourself
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • samalesamale Member Posts: 14
    SureCutsalot have a option to export for cricut design space