We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Printers

7dogs7dogs Member Posts: 15
What is the best printer to print out some of these saying to frame.  I have so many saying and artwork and I have seen so many in frames for the walls.  I would like a reasonably priced printer to print out black and white and color to do as gifts.  Has anyone else done this and how have they turned out?

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    @7dogs - I have been making print and cut projects for years, and my printer is my primary tool. Have always used Epsons. Someone usually has a clearance price on older models that you can take advantage of. I have a wide mouth version, that's a great asset as well.
  • 7dogs7dogs Member Posts: 15
    Liz_A, thank you!  I will look into it.  So you are pleased with the colors?  What paper do you usually use for something you are going to frame?
  • cartnercartner Member Posts: 5
    Liz_A said:
    @7dogs - I have been making print and cut projects for years, and my printer is my primary tool. Have always used Epsons. Someone usually has a clearance price on older models that you can take advantage of. I have a wide mouth version, that's a great asset as well.

Which model of Epson printer do you have?
  • Chubby_NinjaChubby_Ninja Member Posts: 42
    I use an Epson B1100 (A3) I also use a continuous ink system with this printer and  that saves me a fortune on inks. I am very happy with both the inks and the print quality.

Just remember prints are only as good as the paper they are printed on and the inks used to print. Once you have a good printer never buy poor quality inks. printing with good inks on poor quality paper will get you poor prints and visa versa poor quality inks and good paper will end in less than optimal prints.

I'm based in the UK and use this company: City Ink Express They are very helpful.
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,652
    @Liz_A I also have an Epson Wide mouth printer which I like very much.  However, I have issues with the colors. How do you, Liz, color something say, in MTC with RGB, get the same color on your Epsons when they are CMYK? I particularly have issues with red. 
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
    @HappyCrafter - not sure what the interface options are for your printer. When I drill down into the Properties of my Epson, I can choose what color profile it will use - one of the choices is RGB.

A couple of weeks ago, my printer was printing in hues of purple (of course, right before a Christmas craft show) and everything looked like mud. The moderator for that is yellow, as I found out - the yellow head was clogged. After two cleaning cycles, I was back on track with the correct colors. In one of the profiles I can increase or decrease each of the individual colours till I get the tone that I like. Remember to save the profile, as often some colours may look better on a different paper, if you find a combination that you like. I usually only get successful colours for photos printing on Epson photo paper. Other photo papers and my husband who has a way better eye than me, says oh too much _______ or _______, fill in the blanks, LOL! He is the ultimate picky photographer...has to be perfect.
  • HappyCrafterHappyCrafter Member Posts: 2,652
    @Liz_A. Thank you very much.  I will go dig into the properties of my Epson, forthwith as they say on Blue Bloods.
    As long as the bicycle wheels are still turning, life is good. Sharon in North Central Idaho
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,186
    I use this file to check the print colours on various papers - it also gives you the numbers of the colours when you click on one of the icons and the colour chart in MTC.  I use it to grab a colour into another file using copy and paste and setting it up as a new colour in that file.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Chubby_NinjaChubby_Ninja Member Posts: 42
    RGB is based on light, CMYK is based on pigment, you will never get RGB colours on card and they will always be a poor facsimile. I find using a Continuous Ink Supply System (CISS) will give you better consistent results but not all printers will accept them.
    @Chubby_Ninja - while RGB is used to refer to colours on monitors, cameras and all of those display type devices we use, and CMYK is used to define colours for the printing process, when designing most graphics software packages use the RGB colour mode because it offers the widest range of colors. It's at printing the conversion happens, and with no monitor to printer calibration what you see on the screen is not likely what you are going to get when printed as there are many RGB colours that printers cannot reproduce. For the most part for the typical hobbyist, they design using their software and just print, the printer handles the conversion.

Just out of curiousity what do you use as tool to manage your CISS?