We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Why are Saved Fonts Disappearing?

CharoCharo Member Posts: 603
I have lost a whole bunch of them, all of which were saved permanently.  I did delete the original font files from download area and thought that might be the problem.  Do I have to keep those huge font files forever to keep the permanent installation in MTC?  
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,891
    I think you do have to keep them as when you add them to MTC your just telling mtc where the file are . It does not make a copy

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,534
    @Charo - yes, as Crazy_Mr_Zing says. MTC just creates a pointer to where the file is stored, you move or delete them, MTC hasn't got a clue as to where to find them.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 603
    Oh my.  Well I was able to restore a bunch of files; could not find my favorite Wedding font but oh well.  Now another question:  do I have to save the entire zip folder or can I just save the SVG individual font folder?
    Member 30818
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,534
    @Charo - I am pathetic, I would keep the zip file =).
    If you are running short of space and have a google account you could make use of the free 15gb of space on your google drive

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I tend to keep the zip aswell , on different device

If you don't recall the name of the wedding font
    if you look at a previous mtc file you used it may listed on the layer
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I found the name of the font....White Wedding but of course it isn't free any more.

I don't understand how Google Cloud works.  Do all your files go there and you access them only from the Cloud?  Because I don't get how fonts installed in MTC need a pointer to the original file.  If that is so, then the pointer has to be the Cloud?  Or is the Cloud just a big backup system and one still has to keep all those zip files on the hard drive.

Member 30818
  • jesprattjespratt Member Posts: 51
    edited October 26
    I think the cloud is mostly for backup. I'm pretty sure installed fonts need to remain on your local hard drive. Zipped files are backup and can go on the cloud. Fonts have to be unzipped before installing.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,113
    Font files are very small in comparison to most files, such as photos and videos. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,034
    Charo said:
    . . .  Because I don't get how fonts installed in MTC need a pointer to the original file. . . . 

I believe that they are not "installed" into MTC in the sense that you are thinking.  They are "installed" in that it says "I have access to this font so list it in my fonts list in MTC for me to "see" and if I choose to use it, here is where you go on the computer to get it."  The purpose was so that you could easily keep access to fonts you wanted to use in MTC, but did not want to add permanently into your computers font files that were listed for every program that access your fonts on your computer. This is because too many fonts in your computer's main fonts listing can slow down your computer system.

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
    Thanks so much everyone.  All the provided info helped me a lot.  Now I have to learn about Google Cloud and how to get stuff sent there.  In two years I have collected a huge bunch of files and ideas and I sure would hate to lose them, even though they're backed up several different ways.

Member 30818
    Google drive is quite easy to use it rather like the folder system on you PC you can create folders in your google drive and drag files or folders from you pc and a copy will be uploaded to your google drive
    I tend to use it for backing up may backups. and sharing files with others