We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

service announcement

mommahobbitmommahobbit Member Posts: 3,061
Good morning all! I just want to remind everyone to back up your files. I thought i was smart by saving all my cut files to a jump drive ... over 10,000  since MTC started..... my jump drive failed and is not fixable. I have lost everything and am starting from scratch. It is very overwhelming. So please  send your back to cloud or email to your self as well as a jump drive. It will save a lot of tears!

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    @mommahobbit - so sorry to hear that, its devastating, I know! I have tried recovering files from damaged external drives, mostly with success but sometimes not. If you have any little local computer shops, usually there is a whiz kid there that can deconstruct the drive (take it apart), and then attach the actual store device to a computer directly and salvage files. Sometimes it's a bit on the little motherboard that has the issue, not the actual storage device. So don't trash it, try to find that expert. 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    Sorry to hear of you misfortune
    Backing up is something most of us put off to tomorrow then wish we Hadn't

I had a number of flash/stick drives fail one within hour of purchase when i returned it to a large office supply chain stop they called the Tech Guy who took one look and said " we've had quite a few of that model fail, do you want a replacement or refund " I choose refund and question why they are still on sale ?
    It was branded toshiba not a high end brand but not some unknown
    I also had a scandisk fail when I googled that model it was a model to have a known very high failure rate
    So now I don't use flash drive for backup purposes

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,391
    edited October 23
    It is unfortunate that you lost all your files.  I assume that once you copied the file to the flash drive, you then deleted it from your computer.

Although this may not pertain to you, I'd like to make this PSA since we are on the topic of using external drives to save files.

If you have a USB connected backup drive, whether it is a "jump" drive, "flash" drive, "thumb" drive or an actual external hard drive, you have to actually follow the steps to disconnect the drive from your computer.  This means that you can not safely remove the drive by just pulling it out of the USB socket when you've finished what you're doing.  If you do that, the drive will still be "open" and you need it to be "closed" when you remove it, to avoid losing files or folders that were in use.

In Windows, there is a small icon shown in the task bar, or sometimes in the small box of active apps shown when you click a small arrow on the far right of the screen.  The icon will say something like "safely remove F: drive".  If you click that, Windows will close all the files and folders on the portable drive and when it's done it will tell you it is safe to remove the drive.  Then you can unplug it and put it away.

One caveat:  be sure you know which is your portable drive.  Before you plug it in, look at the drive letters displayed in "Computer".  After you plug it in, look to see the drive letter that has been added to the list.  So if you had C: and D before plugging it in, you should see C:, D, and E: after plugging it in.  If you have a couple of drives already on your system, or a permanent flash drive you've got plugged in all the time, then your drive letter list may vary.  Just be sure that you know what the drive letter is for the flash drive so that when you stop it, you are stopping the right one.

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    @Gabe - this is so true. I always tell users, if you are using your thumb drive with Word for example, save your file THEN CLOSE Word, and then follow the steps to remove the device. There is often what we call a "late write" meaning that even though you saved the file in the program, it may not be completely saved on the thumb or external device. Closing the application (Word, Internet, file manager, what program you last used with the drive) first, then following the steps that Gabe outline is a good practice to get into. On some Windows computers, you can right click the drive and choose Eject. That closes everything properly.
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    I name my flash drives that makes it a little easy to identify which it which

In windows      right click on the drive > Properties

enter the desired name and click apply

I use the brand and colour
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,391
    edited October 30
    Great idea, Paul.  I also name my flash drives, but I'm not consistent about it.  I may use a drive named "Superman" (I have a flash drive with the Superman S on it) or I may use a drive named "F:"  I guess it just boils down to whether I think of it or not.  I'm going to make an effort to name them all now, just to make it easier to know that I am closing the drive I want closed.
    Post edited by Gabe on
  • 1cardcreator1cardcreator Member Posts: 786
    @mommahobbit So sorry you lost all your files.  Thanks to everyone else for the great information you shared.  I was not aware of any of those rules.  My son told me to never un plug my external hard drive during shut down, but that was it, he never told me any of this stuff.  I better figure this out fast.  I have lost files in the past, I try to open them and there is nothing there, this could be why.  ~Diane