We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Strange behavior with PnC - Zing

Hi all!

After I moved to a new home I decided to re-align the laser of my zing, I had a design that I was never able to cut properly so I spent most part of today to align the laser in MtC!.
I followed the tutorial and the arrow was perfect after a couple of tests, I printed a bigger design and it was perfect too.

Now I get back to that old design, with a brand new project file, and it shows a really strange thing... when it cut the outer rectangle it cut exactly on the register marks... except in the top left, where it cut a couple of mm lower. It looks like it cannot do its maths properly and misplace the 4th mark (the last one, where the laser never point)

There's a way to fix that? Is a laser alignment problem or something else? Thanks in advance! <3

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,804
    We might have to see the file if you happy for it to be public you can add it to your reply If not you could send it to  @SandyMcC

Use insert file

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,064
    It could be something about the file or it could be a cut settings issue. If the speed is too high or the cut settings too aggressive, it could be causing the mat to slip.  I assum there are other shapes being cut besides the outside rectangle? How accurate are they?
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
  • HairacHairac Member Posts: 49
    edited October 13
    SandyMcC said:
    It could be something about the file or it could be a cut settings issue. If the speed is too high or the cut settings too aggressive, it could be causing the mat to slip.  I assum there are other shapes being cut besides the outside rectangle? How accurate are they?
    It's surely not a slipping mat problem, the last cut point close the shape perfectly, the problem is only in the top left part.

The file is composed by a layer with 3 cutting shapes (single .ai file) and a layer for the pattern (slighty bigger than the cut file, which form the outer rectangle in the cutting process).
    The 3 registration mark that I point with the laser are perfectly aligned, the last one not (image below). Almost all the cut came out good, except a small portion in the top left corner.

Btw the problem occur also with only the shape. Can the resolution effect it calcs when the machine try to figure where the 4th point is?

p.s. the wrong cuts are off exactly the same amount of that misalignment, I tried to change the laser offset by that value but the other 3 corners went off.
    We might have to see the file if you happy for it to be public you can add it to your reply If not you could send it to  @SandyMcC

Use insert file

Thank you very much, I'll make a few more tests and if I can't find a solution I will send the file :)
    edited October 13
    SO you have a inset cutting line and you are hiding the layer with the printed pattern before you begin cutting ?
    this video demonstrates how this effect the position of registration marks

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    > @Crazy_Mr_Zing said:
    > SO you have a iset cutting line and you are hiding the layer with the printed pattern before you begin cutting ?
    > this video demonstrates how this effect the position of registration marks

No i'm aware of that, i let it cut also the layer with the pattern as outer rectangle, not hiding it. The reg marks do not change position for printing or cutting
    OK I'm not really understanding your explanation of your file

OK I'm not really understanding your explanation of your file
    Layer 1 - imported .ai file with 3 vector shape
    Layer 2 - Large pattern as rectangular jpg

I send both to print and cut, the pattern file make the function of the background rectangle in the video you quoted. Btw this is not much important because the problem occur also with the .ai file alone. Definitely not a reg. mark shifting problem :/
    On MTC if you zoom in is the corner of the rectangle aligned with the reg mark

On MTC if you zoom in is the corner of the rectangle aligned with the reg mark

Yes! It looks like that in the program but it cut like my photo. Just in this corner, the other 3 are perfect.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,064
    Since only one corner is off, that tells me rectangle isn't a true rectangle if you were to measure the 4 sides.  Go ahead and do that and mark the lengths on the four sides.

Then, as a test to verify it has nothing to do with the PNC algorithm, cut the project again using the same cut settings and speed and material. No need to print anything. But do cut all of the shapes so that the Zing is still performing the same "mechanical" motions.  Then measure the 4 sides again. 

If the results match, then it's friction that's causing slippage of the mat and, thus, the rectangle and some of the shapes to be off.  If the blade is cutting into the mat or the cut AND up speeds are too high, then this is what happens.  Also, make sure the underside of the mat is clean and NOT sticky and the pinch wheels and grit shafts are clean and free from any debris or stickiness.
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/