We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Can you take a pic from PC and bring it into M.T.C.?

DebbobDebbob Member Posts: 5
edited October 26 in Help for Make The Cut
Hi  I have been trying to bring in a pic from my pc and tile it by hand, following brians 10 th june webinar 2014, but never can manage it, I had a pic traced it and entered it to page, that was all I could do, he said to colour the pic then it would be ready to tile but all I had was a blank colour no pic, Im on m.t.c v 3,
any help 
thank you ,debob
Post edited by Gabe on

Best Answers

• leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,348
    Accepted Answer
    It is more complicated cause you are dealing with a texture and MTC doesn't handle textures well - but it is possible. If you leave the texture and subdivide your poster in say 6 pieces then you willl have 6 versions of your full poster on your mat and it gets to sttrain your resources. SusanBlue robot demonstrated that on a popup card once where she subdivided a raster image. It is better to vectorize your image like we do a coloring book page and then to tile - creating a facsimile of the poster you want to create with shapes each seperatly colored.

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,891
    edited October 12 Accepted Answer
    So a what step in the task is what is shown in the video not working for you

make sure you have the image above the tiles
    alse enable image cacheing in help> advance settings

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited October 12 Accepted Answer
    You also can't work with texturized traces the same way as standard traces because it will shift the texture in the trace as you edit the shapes themselves. There are a couple of webinars about how to orient your shape - sometimes you even have to rotate the shape in order to do node editing on it. At least now you can resize it with the resizing arrows as long as they are resized proportionally in x and y at the same time. You also only see a texture in a closed shape - your knife tool is opening the shape so the texture goes away until you close it again. The easiest way to fill the shape with a texture it to trace at full pixel, with texture selected lock that layer, and hand trace the outline of what you want on a layer on top (use a colored mat so you can see the layer below) to make a closed shape and then to unlock the texture layer, put it on top and then to join - break. Editing after the fact is hit and miss,

Answers

edited October 10
    I still do not understand what you mean by "tiling it." When you trace a picture all you are going to get is the path or vector around the outside for cutting purposes - and yes a silhouette of the shape that is seen as all black on a contrast mat, all blue on a blue mat, all pink on a pink mat, etc depending on the mat you select. If you want parts of the daughter - inner shapes of the trace to be a different color, you have then change their color or trace by color so that the program colors them automatically at the color you selected for the trace, if you want say an actual picture from a photo to show on the virtual mat,  for a print and cut, you have to select the texturize box when you do the trace or color each individual daughter shapes like we do a coloring book page to simulate what the colors of the shape to be. Make the cut and programs like them are not photo editing software - but instead are cutting software intended to give your cutter a path to cut on - road map directions so to speak.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,534
    @Debbob - there were several iterations of Version 3. Which one specifically? When tracing do you get the option to Texturize Path at the bottom of the dialogue box? This is what would actually bring in the "pic" from your PC as you describe it.
    edited October 10
    These are video demonstration pixel trace I not sure if the fully relate to version 3 though

Make The Cut - Pixel Tracing for a PNC

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 1 - Pixel Tab Option

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 2 - Alpha Tab

Make The Cut: Pixel Trace Part 3 - Palette Tab

Make-The-Cut: Pixel Trace Part 4 - Color Tab

Are you using version 3 because you cutting to a Cricut Machine ?

There is a method to install the latest version of make the cut along side the old version so you can design new version and then cut with the old
    Before you do this make sure you have a backup of the installer for you old version and also the plugin file if applicable

Installing Multiple Copies of Make the Cut Software

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • DebbobDebbob Member Posts: 5
    hi thank you all for answering,by tiling I mean bring in pic , enlarge it , poster size then cut up in sections to fit mat,this  I want to do by hand,  ( I don't think I can use m.t.c. tile tab, yes I checked the texturize box, ( if you go  on mtc tuts under help and on the 10 th june Brian has a demo on webinar 
    Big Thanks
    Debob
    Hi  when I bring in a pic from pc there is always a border around it, I cant get just a say,  cat, I layer it but comes up with nothing to layer,if I use knife tool to cut border the pic vanishes,yes I textureize it.
    thanks for help
    Debob 
    Ok it sound your not getting a good tracing result
    results depend on the image your using

Only shapes that are close paths can contain texture (fill) so by using the knife the closed path shape become a open path therefore the texture is lost

if you happy to attach you MTC file we can take a look as guide you from there
    You can use the insert file button

Getting a good trace is an art in itself. But sometimes you can't get a good trace - like when your original image is too small. Look at the webinars about hand tracing. Hand tracing allows you to isolate shapes that don't come thru well. Another trick is to erase the background in a photo editing software prior to tracing. If what you want to trace blends in too much with its background, then I get rid of the background in my photo editing software. You can also fix the image too in a photo editing software. When I trace I try both pixel and trace by color and see which works best and sometimes I have to combine the 2.

Thank you all, all made sense to me. 
    debbie c