We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Leather Cutting

Hello I'm interested in looking a getting a digital laser cutter or a die cutter to starting cutting out my leather bags that I make. The leather is normally 2-3oz leather and the pieces are from 20 inches wide to 30inches long. Does anyone know of any machines that could handle this, and what would be the better machine using laser or a die cutter?

Also for those that have used a laser on leather this thick how do the edges look do you get any burning on the actual leather or does it just stay on the edges?

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,203
    You would need a heavy duty cutter.  Some of the KNK cutters can cut leather but it's usually tricky as it is not a firm material and that gives a moving blade problems as you would need a very sticky mat to ensure that it stayed in place.  I think, although the Force would have and power (pressure) it's blades have very little adjustment for thickness and leather is notoriously uneven in its thickness.  Maybe one of the heavy duty KNK like a Max might handle this as the blade itself can be adjusted.  I think you need to do more research on the net and search to see if anyone has found a machine to deal with this.  Certainly most of the cutters that hobbyists use would not be suitable.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,563
    I wouldn't recommend any of the drag blade cutters that we talk about on this forum for the tasks that you want them to do. Custom made heavy duty dies would be the way to go, they may be expensive to get done for you, but for each bag you sell of a pattern the less expensive the dies are. Good luck! Not sure if a laser cutter is the way to go for leather that thick.
  • patriciaringcapatriciaringca Member Posts: 2
    I would recommend KNK cutters but it is very tricky , one of the best brand like KNK Zing Air

• SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,138
    So the final cut pieces need to be 20 inches wide?  You'll need a 24" wide cutter and you'll need the company to pretest your leather to see if it will cut cleanly.  You would also need a custom mat if the cut length will be 30 inches long.  Hmmmm... I'm with @Liz_A on this one.  It's unlikely that a drag blade cutter will meet your needs. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/