We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Sissix Eclipse2

Hello,

Does anyone have this machine and would they recommend for a beginner, I want to finally get a Silver Bullet but I can't afford it out of my little hobbie business right now, and I'm getting to busy to use the Hand Crank Big shot, so I thought the Sissix Eclipse2 looks just the ticket, as I also want one that use PC software so I can design my own invites!
Thanks for any advice
Dee

Comments

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,011
    Hello Dee and welcome to the Make the Cut software support forum.  Since MTC doesn't work directly with the Sizzix Elicps2, you probably won't find many here who use that machine.

Since it uses ecal lite program, which is SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) rebranded for that machine, you might get more insight and help on that particular cutter on the SCAL forums.  Also, the Silver Bullet sells with SCAL so if that is your final "goal" cutter, then it might behove you to get a cutter that will work with SCAL so you are learning that program and then don't have to switch to a different program when you switch to a bigger cutter.  SCAL works with a variety of cutters and there are a lot out on the market now so do some research on all of them and find one that will work for you for a while. There are also used machines to be had so you might check around for those as well.  There is a used cutters for sale Facebook page and there are sometimes used SBs for sale on their forum.

You note that you are getting too busy to use your hand crank Big Shot, just a note on that, have you ever used an electronic cutter before?  If not, it may not be as "fast" as you think its going to be.  You still have to use mats, apply your material to be cut to the mat, line it up properly, etc. so it does take a little time. Plus, depending upon the accuracy of the designs, etc. it can take some time to actually cut things out - sometimes longer than using the big shot!

If you are wanting to design invites, then you might want to look at some of the cutters that give you dual heads for example. That way you can have a pen in one and the blade in the other or a scoring tool and a blade, etc. 
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,837
    You will need to use the ecal software with the eClips cutter. It is a decent machine. It cuts heavier media well with up to 700 grams of cutting pressure, but will handle media only up to 1mm thick. It cuts up to 11.5" wide.  I have the original eClips with hand-held remote. There are design cards available for it on clearance, but the machine itself is discontinued, so support may not be available. The eCal software does import SVG files.  The software is similar to SCAL, so you may find software support via CraftEdge Forums.  The machine has a nice click style blade holder that can use Roland, Cricut, or Pazzles, blades. 
  • DeeNick66DeeNick66 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for the info it was very useful for me, I think I'm going to go with Sizzix eClips2, the only thing putting me off is I have to get it from the US (I'm in England) and the postage is another £100, but it's more the cost of having to buy the extras, like blades, mats etc. on a regular basis this will cost a fortune!

• DeeNick66DeeNick66 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks ever so for that MeFlick again really useful info, the crank is fine and it's not the time, it's really more to do fear of my arm falling off, after putting the same die through 50 times for just one element of a card it gets seriously painful lol x

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,811
    edited October 5
    An electronic cutter is only as good as the software that can be used with it I would suggest you see if there a demo version available to try before you buy

Also check is there a online support platform (forum facebook group etc) of any kind for the cutter and the software

Blades if treated well last quite some time
    Mats can have new adhesive added

There are electrically driven manual cutters rather than hand crank models

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,064
    You'll also have to pay import duty on it. Take that into account.  Note that the KNK Zing Orbit is another option for you and it's available in the UK and we have someone who supports them there. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/