We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Silhouette Cameo 3 for Thin Paper Sewing Patterns

PhilkoPhilko Member Posts: 2
edited September 25 in General
Hi

I am a fashion designer that uses 3D software to draft patterns, i use programs like CLO 3D and Adobe Illustrator. 
I would like to be able to cut out my patterns on thin 80 - 90 gm paper, often quite big in size, so definitely without using the mat. 

Could the Cameo 3 do this task? Cut out a sewing pattern on 2 meters of thin paper without the mat? or would the paper break?

Thank you

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,811
    edited September 25
    Cutting any material that does have a backing sheet without a mat is not really possible the mat is what holds the material in place until the cut is complete
    On many machines cutting adhesive vinyl without a mat is possible where only the top layer is cut through therefore the backing sheet have the pieces in place

I'm not familiar with silhouette machines to know if they have a length of material limit
    but it would be possible on some machines to have a 2 metre long mat albeit it maybe a little awkward to manage 

The was a machine the made claims of matless cutting it left short sections uncut at interval

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • PhilkoPhilko Member Posts: 2
    Oh, ok. Thanks for the Response

What im looking to do is what this guy is doing on this video.

I would not have the machine draw the pattern out, just cut it out. But it seems to work on a graphtec machine. So the question is, if it would theoretically also work in a Cameo 3? Or whether they are not sophisticated enough to do this kind of cuts. 

• MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,011
    No, I don't believe you could do what you want with the Silhouette line of cutters. First, other than cutting vinyl which has its own "backing" which supports it like the mat, you can not cut thin paper without a mat on it or any of the other home style cutters.

In addition, you would not be able to cut very big. The Cameo is limited to 12" Wide and 24" in length with their software. If you go to Silhouette America's home site, and go to their FAQ section you will find a lot of answers and information regarding their cutters.  it notes the following information for the Cameo 3.

The large Graphtech machines are in a different class from the Cameo.  There are a lot of higher end business cutters used to do things that the home market machines cannot do and they cost significantly more.

Just to note however, that your questions would be best answered directly by Silhouette since they know what their machines can and cannot do. I am just providing answers based on my general knowledge of home cutters, previous experience with older Silhouette machines and other brand cutters, and my years of being on cutter forums in general. Also note, this is not a a generic cutter forum, but one specifically for support for the software program, Make the Cut, which works with a variety of cutters but does not work directly with the Cameo 3.  As a result, there may only be a few here who have any actual working knowledge with that cutter.

You can find the Silhouette FAQs on their site here:https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/faq

Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • patriciaringcapatriciaringca Member Posts: 2
    You can not cut thin paper without a mat on it or any of the other home style cutters. I didn't use Cameo 3 before but it better than other machines, maybe this will do.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,837
    If you use butcher or craft paper on a mat you can cut your patterns up toe 12" wide using the Silhouette Studio software. Using Make The Cut, you can cut up to 11.5" wide. The eCraft machine came equipped with a roll holder and paper of indefinite length could be cut without a mat. But precision of cuts (up to 11" wide) can problematic with that system.