We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Side-mounted Owl

Is this possible in PCS?  I cannot figure out how the mounts were made at an angle.
Member 30818

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,378
    I think not possible in PCS and the folds in the wings are on a angle
    I think they call this mechanism a V fold Popup

Would be possible in MTC
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • leslie6111leslie6111 Member Posts: 2,366
    edited September 2017
    Yes I think so - do it sideways - put to the whole shape to the bottom and then fold to the back. For the owl - you will have to split up the body and then add the wing parts on a plain away from the bottom and back - you might have to flip to the other side trick if the shapes conflict - Bryan's demonstration with the clouds comes to mind. It depends how much effort you want to put into it. It does have spikey grass though.

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,407
    I'd set that up on a flat card and delete the outer edges of two feathers on left and right and make sure the bottom one lined up with that edge.  Cut along top line and bottom line fold the two pieces in the opposite direction to the card.  Would do it all in MTC as I see no need to use pcs.  Place a second card behind to hide the holes and to give some further interest.  Love that owl.  Another possibility is to cut them separate from the card, and fold zig zag and then attach to the centre of the card.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
    I found a image of the finish card

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited September 2017
    Here is my take on this card
    Not sure how well it will work
    I manually traced it
    I think the important part is to ensure the diagonal folds are all the same angle which hopefully I succeeded doing

Owl V fold 2 .mtc

Paul you are missing some cut lines in the spikey grass under the rabbit. I agree less pain to dio this directly in MTC. Andy reversed engineered the shapes into PCS for the dragon - so maybe that would be easier if Bev wanted to close the shape to put it into pcs.

edited September 2017
    I didn't notice that grass at all

I other thing I also forgot is these designs are designed to be printed on the back of the sheet and manually cut . so my design is reversed

I will have to track down that dragon as I always thought angles in PCS was not possible

MkIII

Owl V fold 3 .mtc

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    edited September 2017
    Can't do angles directly - you are right - but maybe you can trick the program - maybe with a hinge. It is so much easier to do this in MTC.
  • CharoCharo Member Posts: 702
    Oh thank you my friends AGAIN!  I did have this done in MTC but gave it up as I thought it would never cut....didn't even understand what I was looking at.  I don't understand the part about these kinds of cards being designed to cut on the back but maybe I will when I try to cut this.   Thanks @Crazy_Mr_Zing for making the file.  I also need to go look at the PCS dragon.  So now I need to look at all files in a different way...not all popups need PCS.  Another mind-opener.
    Member 30818
    What I meant about cut on the back
    Often patterns that are intended to be hand cut using a knife are reversed so when printed out and cut the printing would be on the back of the card and therefore not seen
    Compare the pattern you put up and the image on the competed card I don't think it would ever effect the working of the card
    in this case the rabbit faces other way

I've not found the dragon popup yet?

These type popup work slightly differently to type normal created with PCS the angled anchor/hinges make the element popup on a slight angle

edited September 2017
    http://forum.make-the-cut.com/discussion/36750/hand-tracing-node-editing-mtc-and-pcs-a-time-lapse   The Chinese dragon was done in a demonstration that Andy did - I think he even put it to music. Andy showed how he took a template - like Bev's, scanned it into MTC, closed the shapes in MTC and then transferred the shapes into pcs - sort of reverse engineering the pop up. I do not tend to work that way - I just take a picture - guess at the placement and draw it directly into MTC. I don't get it exact like I would if I scanned in a template and did it Andy's way.

@Crazy_Mr_Zing I think I found the dragon...at least I found A dragon.  It is in PCS popup gallery and the folds are all straight lines.  But he made it look curved because the individual pieces are curved, if that makes any sense...
    @leslie6111 The way you described how Andy did his dragon is exactly how I started but I guess I didn't go far enough.  I got discouraged when I couldn't get the wings to angle the way I wanted them to.  Now I'm thinking I just need to make the wings LOOK angled, then weld a rectangle to the piece I want to fold and crop that.  But still that isn't going to make the look I want....think I will try it in MTC first.
    Member 30818
    I found the biezier tool easier for manual tracing than the pencil

I jump across the curves then use the node tool to bend them into shape

leave a space for the dashed lined section the draw straight line between the open nodes then break the nodes and break them mode those section to new layer

also for symmetrical design just trace half create a copy and flip

There is a webinar where andy showed manually tracing a house I think
    or was it a castle ?
    It shows so good techniques
    @Crazy_Mr_Zing I will try the biezier tool since I just learned from one of Sandy's Facebook videos how to make it curve.  I've been tracing the hard way, with the eraser.  It's hard not to end up with pretty shaky lines with lots of corrections that way.  I do everything the hard way you know...
    Member 30818
    It was surprising how quickly it came together using the beizier tool

I have avoided manual tracing in the past  because I thought it would be to tedious

I other method I've tinkered with for symetrical designs was pixel tracing using setting that bring in the best detail then separating the dashed and solid lines to separate layers
    -I hide the dashed layer its only for reference if needed , I discard them in the end
    -Covert the traced (dual) solid line to single line
    -Use the knife and cut down the centre ensure it vertical (2 blue lines) or sometime it possible to break the nodes where the centre fold should be
    -Discard one side of the design .
    -Draw straight paths in between the open nodes where the fold lines would be
    for the centre fold line I draw from the very top open node to the bottom open node
    -Copy paste flip and align to create the other side (so the design is symmetrical)

-then break and move those added fold line lines to new layer change to dashed

The Centre fold line I change the X position to close to the top of the sheet and adjust the height to almost the full height of the sheet . so it then goes from top to bottom

This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!