We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Cutting card shapes in bulk

anyoldnameanyoldname Member Posts: 4
I've come to this from an odd place, I teach lots of kids each week and bought some pre-cut corrugated card shapes which were a huge hit in some of our craft games. I did a search online and found these cutting machines which I previously knew nothing about! I thought it would be wonderful if I could create my own shapes for future fun craft sessions.

I've asked about them in the craft shops in this country and no one seems to have them so I'll have to import one without having seen one in action. I wondered if anyone here could help give some advice?

Are these machines really only for small scale hobby stuff or, if I wanted to cut out lots of shapes would they still be suitable? I have up to about 300 children a week so if we're, for example, going to create an underwater scene I could cut out some plants and fish for them to stick to card. You could fit a number on a page but you're still looking at, at a guess, 1500 shapes for the one activity. Then if you think we may do five or six such projects each year.

Is that completely unrealistic or do I need some kind of commercial level machine for that? Would it take forever to cut out a single sheet of card which had the same shape maybe 20 times on it? Or would that even work?

It sounds so nice to be able to create my own shapes and designs and use them with the kids! I hope there's a way to do it. The most famous machine that I saw mentioned online (which appears not to work with this software) reportedly has software that is awful to use so I want to avoid that. Hence I'm here!

Any recommendations would be gratefully received or if this is something that probably won't work I can take that as well. I really want to avoid importing something expensive and then finding out it was never going to work! Or that I should have gone for a bigger/enterprise machine.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,151
    edited September 10
    Hi, Any of the KNK machines could be used for what you have in mind.  If you are in the UK then KNK have an outlet in the UK.  Cutting 1500 every two months does not seem like a high work load for most of KNK machines as many are used for business as well as by hobbyists.  It's under 300 items per week and when you put them on a page and cut say 6 or 8 on a page it comes down to only 50+ sheets a week.  No big deal.  A bit time consuming as it would take several minutes to cut a page but do-able.  Any chance of a pic of what you intend cutting - i.e is it a drawing or just an outline shape.  Would you want to print in colour (say A4 sheets) and then cut.  So many options - if you look into my Skool bazaar you will see a whole lot of early learning projects along with my clipart in each section that might prove useful.  Any help I or others can give to assist you will be forthcoming and our resident Guru, Sandy, will be along in about 8 hours (US) to give specific advice.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • anyoldnameanyoldname Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, that really helps. I'm not in the UK but am in Europe so may be able to get one sent over in one way or another.

The kind of shapes I had in mind were something along these lines :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-LIFE-CORRUGATED-DIE-CUT-PAPER-SHAPES-100pcs-/252678752701 but with my own designs.

I was assuming I just create the image in the software, copy it so it would be on one page several times and then feed the card into the machine it would do it's stuff. So I thought if I bulk buy a load of card in various colours I could create shapes on various themes and cut them for the kids to get creative with when we're on that topic.
    Well that looks straight forward enough.  Not sure corrugated would be a good idea but card say 300 gsm which is quite thick would cut easily and comes in lots of lovely colours.  It also comes in hammer and linen finish which give a pattiner to the resulting item although it would have to be painted in a particular colour.  You can also get (which is a bit more expensive) shiny card (pearlescent) which could add to the interest.  Creating shapes shouldn't be too difficult using MTC or one of the other software programs.  Another idea that might make them a bit more durable would be to laminate and then cut.  Also duplicating and cutting out a page of shapes should be easy.  All KNK machines have a bit of a learning curve but the effort is worth it as your then have a machine that is very versatile.  Finding shapes on the web is easy and these can quickly be converted into cutting items using the trace facility that comes with MTC.  Hope this helps.  Ask your questions and I and others will give you lots more information.  The joy of KNK machines are that you can use the software on your computer and then send it to your cutter.  Much easier then those that demand on line or restrict you to a particular type of software.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,804
    edited September 10
    In what country are you located ?
    Use may wish to consider availability of the consumable items

These machine use adhesive mat the holds the material that is being cut
    with use these mat need cleaning and eventually the adhesive needs reapplying or the mat replaced

Also the blades do need replacement although they generally have quite a long life

Creating simple shape in the software as those shown in the ebay would not be to difficult as would then filling a how page with designs 

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    edited September 10

Got confused and tried to respond twice with the same chat!!  Oops
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    Finland.

I figured I'd need blades every now and again but didn't realise there was more so thanks for the tip.
  • SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,111
    While Make The Cut doesn't support the Cameo 3, it is now my go to machine.  They do have an online store.  http://www.silhouettecameoeurope.com/silhouette-online-store-finland?___store=default

Loving MTC even more every day!
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,374
    @SandyMcC, does KNK have any dealers in or near Finland?
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,461
    My understanding is that the UK office would service Finland.
    @anyoldname

Hobby cutting is a blast!  And welcome to our forum.  One of the things you would require is software to control the cutting machine, or if you prefer to use the software that comes with the machine, you would still be able to use MTC to create SVG files.  SVG stands for "scalable vector graphics" and it is a format that many machines can read.  Vector graphics can be scaled up or down in size with no loss of resolution, so that's why they have become so popular.

Another software that is available, although I have not used it, is called Sure Cuts Alot, or SCAL.  It also works with a lot of different machines and, like MTC, has built in design functions.

If you decide on a KNK machine, either of those programs should work with it, although I believe that SCAL has been updated to work with more of the KNK machines, such as the Zing Orbit.

Another thing to consider is how much of a learning curve you're willing to deal with.  Some machines are easier to learn to use than others.  I believe that the machines that are particularly easy to learn to use are also lacking in many features that you would find fairly essential.  So it is a good idea to ask other users of the machines so you can find out how satisfied with their machines they are.  Like was it hard to learn, does it do all they need, how is the quality, are supplies expensive or hard to get, that includes paper, card stock and vinyl, among other supplies.

Feel free to ask questions here as you won't find a friendlier or more helpful forum!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,064
    Cutting corrugated card is possible on a KNK but not easy to do. @Gabe, since you're the only KNK owner who I know has cut something like this... do you think the somewhat intricate shapes shown in that ebay link above would be possible?  
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    @SassyLady_Lisa, have you cut corrugated card on the Cameo?  
    Sandy McCauley
    @Sandy, the shapes I cut in corrugated cardboard were very simple.  Basically a 1.5 inch tall rectangle with rounded corners.  I had to play with the settings quite a bit to get it to work.  If I remember correctly, I used 3 passes and moderate force.  Even so, I still cut into my mat because my blade was extended too much.  But it did work and there were lessons learned for next time.  :)

To answer your question, I think that with a good machines, such as one in the Zing series, and with patience and a good understanding of the material, yes it would be possible to cut shapes such as the ones shown in the eBay listing.  Getting there would be a challenge, but it could be done.

Thanks, Gabe!  

My other concern is that the corrugated card probably varies from one type to the next, thus it would be important to test cut whatever card is going to be used. That's really the only way to be 100% sure that the cutter will meet expectations.
    Sandy McCauley
  • SassyLady_LisaSassyLady_Lisa Member Posts: 1,111
    I have not.  It was my understanding that the op wants to cut shapes like the corrugated shapes she had purchased.  Any of the popular cutters can cut cardstock, and Silhouette Europe could help her get started.  I just wanted to provide her with more than one option.
    Loving MTC even more every day!
    Thanks everyone for taking the time out to help. Really nice!

I thought the corrugated card added a really nice texture to things but if it makes life a lot more difficult I could still happily go with normal card in various colours.

One question for Gabe: You mentioned "are supplies expensive or hard to get, that includes paper, card stock and vinyl, among other supplies." I assume I could source my own card stock, do I need some special supplies? I'm probably bring really ignorant but I guess I could simply buy in a bunch of A4 size card sheets from somewhere and use them.
    Materials can be sourced from where ever you choose.  The card is not expensive.  I'll try and locate some corrugated card in the UK and see if I can cut it on my Force (high end KNK)  has bells and whistles.  I just haven't found them yet. LOL.  Get back to you soon.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,804
    edited September 14
     I thought could then cutout be put though a paper corrugation roller thingy
    maybe that might distort the design too much

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    I've purchased some corrugated card to see how it works on my Force.  Will report back in a few days when it arrives and I try it out.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610

One question for Gabe: You mentioned "are supplies expensive or hard to get, that includes paper, card stock and vinyl, among other supplies." I assume I could source my own card stock, do I need some special supplies? I'm probably bring really ignorant but I guess I could simply buy in a bunch of A4 size card sheets from somewhere and use them.
    I didn't mean to scare you. I was trying to encourage you to consider what you think you might want to do with your machine and what supplies or tools you might think would be necessary and then to do research to see if you can identify a cutter that would meet your needs.