We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

MTC Fonts-Still need help

Bren53Bren53 Member Posts: 69
edited September 10 in Help for Make The Cut
All the fonts I had installed into MTC have disapeared! I just opened MTC and noticed they were gone. I've had several in there forever. This is the first time they disappeared. I've tried to install again but they will not install. The name shows in the listing but nothing in the letter boxes. I've shut all down rebooted and still nothing. When I open the font in my font folder it pops up just fine. Help please!

The fonts that came with MTC are there. Any ideas? TIA

Post edited by Bren53 on

Comments

• Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,559
    @Bren53 - MTC didn't come with fonts, it shows fonts from your Windows\Fonts folder as the come with, and everyone's list will be different.

If you mean the OTF fonts that were provided by a link for free for one of the version releases, they would not have installed in Windows\Fonts, so if that is what you are talking about, then they still exist in the same folder as when you added them.

For the missing ones, or ones that don't work, I suggest they were likely in a folder and you moved or deleted the folder and / or the fonts. You can fix that by setting MTC to default settings:

Help => Advanced => Reset Interface to Factory Settings, then reinstall the fonts that you want back.

The list of permanently installed in Make The Cut! fonts are listed in a file called permanent_fonts.fnts. That file lives in a hidden system folder, so you need to know how to view hidden files in order to find it. It could have become corrupted.
  • Bren53Bren53 Member Posts: 69
    Liz I'm talking about fonts I had added to list when working on projects. Like Balmoral, Brocklin, child's play and so on, bout 30! They were always there when I went through the listening till just the other day. Now they are all gone. Name is still in list but no font! I try to install and it says font has been installed but it's not there! I haven't deleted or moved anything from this laptop. Just booted up went to MTC and they were gone, just empty box where the letters should be.
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,133
    Find the folder on your computer where you first went in order to install them. Verify that the folder is still there and those fonts are still there.

Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Yes the folder and fonts are still there. I can double click the font and it opens so I can see the font.
    Liz I did the reset but the font names still showed in listing but no character available. I'm going to try and find the hidden folder of fonts.
    @Bren53 - its just a file with a listing of the fonts you have added. I would close MTC, then delete that file, then open MTC and add the fonts back.
    Any idea what that file might b called? I've looked and not seeing anything that I think is a listing.
    I finally went into my font Navigator and uninstalled the fonts not showing up. Then reinstalled and they are all back! I have no clue why this happened!
    That's great news! :)

Sometimes these quirky things just happen and you move on. If one can't reproduce it, one can't figure out what caused it.  :(  
    Sandy McCauley
    Well I just booted up laptop and opened MTC and fonts are gone again! Guess my fix only lasted as long as I didn't close MTC. Soooo i'm back to wondering what that file name is Liz I need to look for? This is so frustrating! I've never had any trouble with my MTC software till now!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,919
    Are you using windows if so what version

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    Yes I am using Windows 10. I've had the same fonts in MTC that I had added at different times for ever. They have always shown up when I open MTC. Now there are about 25 that disappeared all that I have added over time. The names still show up in the listing but no characters are showing, just empty squares! I've tried reinstalling and it says font installed but nothing there! Any and all help would be appreciated.

do you have all glyphs selected

Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
    @Bren53 - did you pick the option Install permanently inside Make The Cut!?
    another question what version of MTC are you using
    I think I recall in an early version square boxes would display when for example bold was selected on a font the did not include a bold version of characters
    edited October 9
    I'm using 4.1.0 to cut with my cricut. I also have the last newest release that I use. Both showed the same listing with missing fonts. I don't use Bold.
    Liz, I did on some of them but even the one's I didn't pick that option they still showed up. So here is what's happened since I posted I still needed help! I had used my Bit Stream Navigator to uninstall  the fonts not showing up in MTC. I then reinstalled using BSN as I always do and never have had trouble. I then shut down and rebooted font's were gone again! I shut down and was gone over the weekend, just now booted up and opened MTC and there they all are again! I'm thinking this laptop some crazy gremlins at work! Who know's what will happen next time I open MTC. Will they be there or will they be missing again? LOL Is there away to delete a font from the listing? I never did find the file you said was hidden with the fonts!
    Post edited by SBryanW on
    Quite a Mystery
    Has a few occasions the list of installed fonts was totally blank if the show typecase option was selected that seem to resolve itself too
    @Bren53 - what version of BSN are you using? Do you have windows 10?
    It's old 6.0.0 build 108. I've been using it forever. No problems till this a few weeks ago. I always use BSN to install fonts I want to use then I just uninstall if I don['t want to keep them in the program. I don't like having all the fonts installed in the window font folder.
    Maybe an update that windows did messed with something! Like I said before I've used MTC with the same fonts showing up on this laptop at least 4 years and never had a problem!
    Again I ask if there is a way to delete the names of the fonts still showing in the font listing.
    Thanks to all that have tried to figure this out.

@Bren53 - then try reinstalling your BSN. =)
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 158
    @Bren53 - Some fonts have more characters and others less. When you slide down the button and choose another font it keeps on the bottom. Remember to slide it up.

Bren53 said:
    Again I ask if there is a way to delete the names of the fonts still showing in the font listing.

The name of Fonts that are permanent installed within MTC is a different colour in the list

If you have installed the permanently inside make the cut i think you can reverse that by right clicking the name in the font list after restart the font will be gone

But as you using a font manager to install fonts I think the font list in MTC would show those installed in the windows system and therefore would have black colored names in the mtc list  and therefore MTC cannot remove them

Also the option for All Glyphs needs to be checked in order to see all the extra characters the font may have.

@Bren53 - if the colour of the font name is green, the font is installed ONLY in MTC and can be removed. To remove it, choose the font from the list, then in box that displays the font name, click and you will get a prompt that: font name has been removed from the permanent font list.

If the font name is coloured blue, then you just installed it just for MTC, but its a one time only and when you shut down MTC and open it again, the font is gone.

If the font name is coloured black, that is a font installed through Windows, and you cannot delete from MTC, use your font manager or Windows itself to uninstall the font. Be careful of what you uninstall, uninstalling a font used by Windows can really muck up your computer.

I also found a posting online that after the Windows Creator update, fonts installed through Bitstream Navigator were problematic, and the poster said that rolling back the update fixed the problem.

I also found another posting online that the BSN catalogue file had become corrupt, deleting it and then rebuilding the fonts installed through BSN fixed it. It also suggested that you keep all the fonts you install through BSN in a folder separate from other files.

HTH
    If you have Windows Creator installed (which can happen during auto-updating without your knowledge), then I'm guessing that could be the culprit.  Ever since my computer installed it, I've had so many issues such as: losing the sound driver on my laptop, losing drivers for my printers, losing the Wi-Fi connection for one of my two Wi-Fi cutters, corruption of the Wi-Fi adaptor (discovered this weekend when I tried connecting at a hotel where I was staying), and several miscellaneous changes in software programs that required reinstallation. While I've been able to resolve every issue (thanks to the power of Googling), if I didn't NEED to stay updated in Windows for the sake of supporting KNK customers, I would SO roll back right now.   
    Sandy McCauley
    @SandyMcC - sadly Windows likes to keep pushing us along with the updates, which is a pain in the butt. Sometimes you don't realize something is broken until long after the fact. And then it's "what the heck"! 
    Liz_A said:
    @SandyMcC - sadly Windows likes to keep pushing us along with the updates, which is a pain in the butt. Sometimes you don't realize something is broken until long after the fact. And then it's "what the heck"! 
    That is exactly what happened! I didn't realize DH's computer had also updated until he was yelling from his office, "What's wrong with my printer!" lol  Sigh and *head shaking*

Sandy McCauley
  • jesprattjespratt Member Posts: 51
    That's one of the reasons all 3 of our home desktop computers are still on windows 7. Only thing we have with windows 10 is our newest laptop. (The main reason we haven't updated is we use all of them to record TV with Windows Media Center - which isn't available with windows 10.)
    Well the issue is still on going on with the fonts. I do not get anything when I right click on a font name. Thanks for all the help of trying to figure this out.
    My new laptop just updated today to the Creator update. I was hoping that update would let me be able to work in MTC. I still have the little icons in the program and can't even see the one over to the right to add text to a project! Bad as I hate to I guess i'm going to have to take a look at another program to work with! I know some had said with the update it had fixed their MTC issues. Bummer.
    After the creator update was applied did you change the setting in the properties of the MTC!.exe file
    @Bren53 - there were patches to the creator update, so go back and make Windows check for another update.
    Thanks for the link Liz, I got MTC to work and I can see the icons! LOL Now to go back and try working on the fonts.
    Have you tried
    installing the font just using windows rather than bsn - from memory right click the ttf file and install