We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Is Warranty/User Account Transferable if Purchasing (used) Black Cat Cougar

creativelycrabbycreativelycrabby Member Posts: 20
Just wondering if anyone else has been through this experience.  Does anyone know if the warranty and the user account info is transferable if I purchase a Black Cat Cougar from an individual?  I am early in the negotiations, and I am not certain yet if they have registered the product and created an account, but just curious to know if they have, will I be able to set up a user account with them and access their training videos, etc. ?

Best Answers

Answers

• rachellann_714rachellann_714 Member Posts: 848
    edited September 1
    There is no warranty, i don't think, the machines are too old for them to have a warranty any longer.

Post edited by rachellann_714 on
    Owner of a 24" Silver Bullet Professional Series, 18" Black cat Cougar, uscutters MH871, Bosskut gazelle. I can help with start up.  for the Cougar and Lynx and the Silver Bullet Professional Series. http://thatsscrapinc.com/ http://thymegraphics.co.uk/
  • creativelycrabbycreativelycrabby Member Posts: 20
    Does this mean I would be unable to use the machine if the software is not transferable?
  • PaperVinyl123PaperVinyl123 Member Posts: 5
    The machines work with MTC, so you don't need to transfer any software, just download the driver from their website. 
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,009
    Does this mean I would be unable to use the machine if the software is not transferable?
    No, it means that they cannot transfer their license to the software program that they got when they purchased the BC to another person/entity.  If you don't already own software like MTC or SCAL that will work with the cutter, then you would need to purchase your own software license.  Which also means that typically, their original purchase price may have included the cost of software (not always though) so you would want to take that into consideration on determining price you are willing to pay. The other considerations are can you get access to the Learning Center or not, if not you are on your own for figuring it out.  The age of the cutter and the fact that it was replaced several years ago now by the Silver Bullet would also be considerations.  Do you know the person you would be buying it from?  Are they local to you and can help you with getting it set up? Those are questions I would want to know answers to before I would consider that old of a machine unless I was getting it for a steal of a deal.

I had a BC Cougar for years, its still running - gave it to my sister (who still uses it) when I updated to the Silver Bullet so its not that they aren't good cutters - they are but given their age, that newer ones are out there, etc. When I gave mine to my sister, I bought her MTC to use with it. I would probably not buy a used one unless it was at a fairly low price point.  You can find other newer used cutters for good deals if you look.  There is a Facebook page run by juliefes that people post used cutters to look there and other places if you are interested in a used cutter to make sure you are aware of all your options.

The machines work with MTC, so you don't need to transfer any software, just download the driver from their website. 
    The drivers are not just there to be downloaded from their website.  Their forums and Learning Centers, etc. are locked down to authorized users who bought their machines from them so you have to get a machine that was bought from one of them and have the title transferred to you and even then, you need to buy a Used Cutter's option for the Learning Center.  Its too much detail and drama to explain the "why" other then to say there was some unauthorized sellers selling similar machines under that label.  That is why I said you first need to find out where the original purchaser got the machine from so you can make sure it is  from an authorized dealer and make sure it can be transferred to your name so you can get the help and support if necessary.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • rachellann_714rachellann_714 Member Posts: 848
    the drivers are not listed on their site but they do have them in their groups site along with lots of how to videos. you can use MTC with it or sure cuts alot.  you can use the machine. many times software is not transferable.  You can always contact the ladies who sell the machines their sites are listed below in my tag line with every post I make.
    Owner of a 24" Silver Bullet Professional Series, 18" Black cat Cougar, uscutters MH871, Bosskut gazelle. I can help with start up.  for the Cougar and Lynx and the Silver Bullet Professional Series. http://thatsscrapinc.com/ http://thymegraphics.co.uk/
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,461
    I am sure its been since the early to mid-ninetes that software became non-transferable. Software developers cottoned on to that money source very quickly, sort of like the razor - sell it cheap - and the replaceable blades - charge a premium for them. However, most people do not read the EULA or terms of agreement when they install the software. That doesn't make them exempt from the conditions of the terms.
    I already own both Make The Cut and SCAL Pro.  I am actually buying the cutter from someone who advertised on Julie's Used Craft Cutters For Sale on Facebook.  I have submitted a registration to the Learning Center, awaiting their approval.  Thanks for all of your comments and help. 
    I have purchased an amazingly new condition BCC (at a really ridiculously low price) but is there a way to know if the machine was originally purchased from an unauthorized dealer? I bought from an individual who never used it (said it was not what she needed for her business so it sat in the box for a while). The original owner (who she did not reveal) was 'supposedly' a sign company who bought and never used the machine and offered it for sale online. I realize this machine is pretty old, but in an almost brand new condition. It came in the original packaging, and there are absolutely zero signs of any wear on the machine. It doesn't even look like it's ever been used. I had the previous owner do a cut video and send to me before I bought it, and it did a great job. It has done a beautiful test cut for me. I was able to get it up and running with the correct driver and installed the KNK and BC plugins.  I have both MTC (and SCAL Pro), so I'm familiar with probably every aspect of MTC.  However, I am transitioning from a Cricut Expression (which is all I have ever used) and I am a bit "spoiled" or should I say an advanced user of MTC and Cricut. I understand there is a world of difference in using MTC/Cricut and MTC/BCC. I have requested twice to be accepted to the Silver Bullet Forum (I understand the BC Forum no longer exists), but no one has ever responded to my requests.  I initially filled out the requests as a 'prospective buyer' but am lost as to what else to do to get to the forums.  The MTC forums have been my lifesaver for over 5 years now in resolving issues, learning and tutorials for MTC.  I have the disk that came with the cutter which contains the user manual, but the user manual looks like half of it is in Chinese (maybe a clue this didn't come from an authorized user?) Many of the posts I read here regarding BCC are very old and refer to forums to which I have no access. Anyone out there who can help a BCC newbie with an old but new machine? 
    I have purchased an amazingly new condition BCC (at a really ridiculously low price) but is there a way to know if the machine was originally purchased from an unauthorized dealer? I bought from an individual who never used it (said it was not what she needed for her business so it sat in the box for a while). The original owner (who she did not reveal) was 'supposedly' a sign company who bought and never used the machine and offered it for sale online. I realize this machine is pretty old, but in an almost brand new condition. It came in the original packaging, and there are absolutely zero signs of any wear on the machine. It doesn't even look like it's ever been used. I had the previous owner do a cut video and send to me before I bought it, and it did a great job. It has done a beautiful test cut for me. I was able to get it up and running with the correct driver and installed the KNK and BC plugins.  I have both MTC (and SCAL Pro), so I'm familiar with probably every aspect of MTC.  However, I am transitioning from a Cricut Expression (which is all I have ever used) and I am a bit "spoiled" or should I say an advanced user of MTC and Cricut. I understand there is a world of difference in using MTC/Cricut and MTC/BCC. I have requested twice to be accepted to the Silver Bullet Forum (I understand the BC Forum no longer exists), but no one has ever responded to my requests.  I initially filled out the requests as a 'prospective buyer' but am lost as to what else to do to get to the forums.  The MTC forums have been my lifesaver for over 5 years now in resolving issues, learning and tutorials for MTC.  I have the disk that came with the cutter which contains the user manual, but the user manual looks like half of it is in Chinese (maybe a clue this didn't come from an authorized user?) Many of the posts I read here regarding BCC are very old and refer to forums to which I have no access. Anyone out there who can help a BCC newbie with an old but new machine?
    Is the cutter a Black Cat Cougar or a Cougar Pro? If a Pro, then I know for a fact it was not an authorized machine and they will probably not give you access to their forums, etc. You don't say where you are, if in the USA then IF the machine was purchased from an authorized dealer then it would have been purchased through That's Scrap, Inc.  You could try to reach out to them directly through their "Contact Us" page on their website. http://thatsscrapinc.com/contact-us.aspx  The problem is going to be if you don't know who the original purchaser was, there is no way for them to verify for a fact that it was a machine purchased from them. Since you bought it used from someone who had bought it used you would have to find out who they bought it from. I don't know if they would be willing to let you buy the "Used Machine" package if they can't verify that. They don't support using MTC with it anyway as it is not the software they now sell with the cutters.  They support using SCAL with it.

You can use MTC with the cutter.  I would suggest that you use it with the KNK Maxx (not the Maxx Air) plugin.  I have explained in the past here how to do that so you might search the forum for that, the X/Y offsets are flipped (i.e. if its negative on the KNK Maxx, its positive on the BCC), and there are some other things that I am not recalling off the top of my head and I am heading out shortly so I cannot give you much more info. on it right now.

The biggest advice I would give you is to go to Sandy McCauley's site, Iloveknk.com and locate the MTC with Maxx manual and use it to learn the basics.
    Go Vols!
    It's definitely not the Pro. The original packaging and CD mention nothing about it being a Pro. I'll reach out to Sandy's site. I really have no issues with the MTC and the BCC - I was able to do test cuts. I just need some info about cutting with/without a mat, loading the vinyl (which is probably 99% of what I use it for), and laser orientation, etc. It's backwards from using the Cricut, and I'm already dyslexic  :p so that only complicates it even further. Thanks for your fast response!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,804
    edited September 9
    Here the link to the knk MAXX suport page

Check ythat the reply to your request to join the forum didn't go to junk mail

Have you checked youtube there are quite a few BCC videos
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • bossie1bossie1 Member Posts: 678
    I have a black cat cougar, love it!! I learned a lot on you tube back when I purchased it, maybe the videos are still there.
    There are a few videos (that I have been able to find) for the Black Cat Cougar, so far none have really shown me much I'm not able to already do.  It seems more are geared towards how to PnC, engraving, embossing, and the others are for functions in MTC.  The only issue I am having right now is how to load my mat (should I decide to use one), can I use my Cricut mats (I have 4), and how to line everything up to cut where I want.  I warned everyone, I'm conditioned to my design in MTC being aligned perfectly with when it begins to cut on the Cricut mat.  I guess I'm used to the security of the mat. I do have 2 BCC mats (actually they are new, so they are probably Silver Bullet mats), and both are huge (one is a multi-use oversized mat and the very large commercial mat). These are quite intimidating to a newbie! I'm used to using a 24 inch mat in MTC/Cricut. (My BCC is a 24 inch). If I can use the Cricut mats that would keep me from having to buy more mats.  Just a lot of newbie questions. Feel free to unload any tips, suggestions, and if any of you should know of where videos are that might help let me know. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! 
    edited September 10
    Yes, you can use Cricut, Silhouette, Pazzle, etc. mats and any other mat others have in the BCC, SB, KNK cutters.  There is nothing special either way - they are typically just different sizes and made from different media depending upon where you get the mats.  

With my BCC and my SB, I have cut a ton of vinyl (wall, outdoor, and HTV) over the years (which I think you said was your primary thing you cut as well).  Because I was used to cutting it with smaller cutters and a mat (I too started out with the orginal small Cricut), I typically still cut using a mat.  I seldom cut anything bigger then I have a mat for and prefer the mat. While you can cut to them directly from the roll, that introduces other variables I didn't want to mess with (feeding straight, making sure it was pulling of the roll correctly, etc.)  So using a mat or not is up to you.  While I was learning the ins and outs of the new to you machine and how it works, I would recommend using a mat.  If you don't want to waste material - then use a pen or marker in the blade holder with scrap paper/cardstock to learn where its going to "cut", etc.

The main thing many people use to cutting with a Cricut that switches to the bigger cutters struggle with understanding is the mat placement into the cutter.  Where you put the front edge of the mat into a circuit from the front side - on the BCC and SB and others the mat goes into the cutter all the way to the back or feeds from the back.  So where the mat "hangs out" the front of a Cricut and a Silhouette machine - it hangs out the back on the BCC, SB, KNK, etc.  You want to set your "orientation" or the starting point generally in the front right corner side of the mat when you are standing looking straight on at the full width of the cutter.  With the BCC plugin in MTC, you had to set the starting point like two inches in and over as I recall.  If you use the KNK Maxx (not Air) plugin, you don't have that issue.  Further, the KNK Maxx plugin offers you more options on "cutting mode" that the BCC one doesn't like it offers "knife mode".  That is why I suggested that you download and review Sandy's manual for the KNK Maxx with MTC. It should review a lot of that type of information as far as the different cutting "modes" and how they work and why you would use one or the other.  Also, any videos and information you find here on the forum even though old, if they are regarding using MTC with the BCC, then they are still relevant to doing so.  Its going to take some time to adjust and learn to use this cutter after being used to a Cricut.  The best advise I can give you is to give it some time, take your time, play with the machine, read the manual I indicated and learn how this machine works.  Learn what settings work for you on cutting vinyl - start out low and work your way up on force and blade depth.  Every cutter, even the same model, can vary greatly with settings and how the user has set the blade depth, height of the blade holder, etc.  For example on my old BCC, my cut settings for cutting vinyl were significantly lower then some others using that cutter.  Mine with a new blade, could be as low as a force of 12 and seldom did I exceed 20 when using an old blade but others were significantly higher then mine.  Now, with my SB, my vinyl settings are much higher then what I used with the BCC.

Also another note - you said your cutter is a 24" one.  However, if you measure your opening you will find it is bigger than 24". The bigger opening allows you to feed the larger mats in and out.  As a result, you need to understand that the 24" cutting width is from the right inside edge of the opening of your machine.  (Again when standing directly in front of the machine with the full width of it in front of you.)  You cannot put your mat or vinyl over to the far left side of the machine as that is outside of the cutting area permitted.  Another important thing to remember is to make sure that your levers that hold the mat down are lined up properly with the little white boxes on the top and the grit shafts underneath.  If you don't do that, you will encounter potential shifting of your mat/media when cutting.

Here is direct link to Sandy's KNK Maxx/Groove E support page with link to the UM.http://www.iloveknk.com/support/new-owner-info/

Post edited by MeFlick on
    Go Vols!
  • SandyMcCSandyMcC Member Posts: 7,064
    If you need help deciphering how anything in the manual relates to your BC, just post and ask!  I'm happy to help you, as are others here. 
    Sandy McCauley
    Cutting with KNK Force, Maxx Air, Zing Orbit
    Need help with your KNK? Visit this link: http://knkusa.com/contact/
    Over 90 free MTC videos: http://www.iloveknk.com/support/mtc-support/
    Latest KNK / MTC User Manuals: http://www.iloveknk.com/Support/user-manuals/
    Thanks SO much.  That last link to Sandy's KNK Maxx support page link led me to some very helpful videos.  Thank you-thank you-thank you!
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,804
    Thanks SO much.  That last link to Sandy's KNK Maxx support page link led me to some very helpful videos.  Thank you-thank you-thank you!
    Just take note of the differences between the BCC and the MAXX as mentioned above
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files