We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Help with AI export of svg for MTC

I am new to AI and am trying to create an svg that will load in MTC.  I am getting a error message when trying to import the svg.  Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? When I copy and paste from AI, I am getting some double lines...MTC also gets confused because of some layers that I need to cut separate.  It thinks the paths are connected and not overlapping.  Any help is much appreciated! 

Comments

• Hannah17Hannah17 Member Posts: 2
    When I copy and paste into MTC, only one of my objects is filled...I'm not sure what is different about that one! Any suggestions?
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,559
    @Hannah17 - first go read some information on exporting files from AI that apply to the cutting program for C3. I believe that this may help you even though you do not use a Force or C3, the principles may apply.:

http://www.iloveknk.com/0um/Force-with-C3/KNKForce-with-C3-UM.pdf - go to page 4-11.

When you import, are you going to File => Import => SVG?

After reading and following the suggestions, please post back your results.

For Copy from AI and Paste to MTC, not sure about the non-filled shapes. You could try selecting all, then click Advanced icon on bottom of screen, then choose Fuse 'n Weld, set to the maximum. See if that helps.

Double lines are normal behaviour in a trace, think of thick borders applied in other programs as just shapes in MTC, and so there are two shapes, two lines. 
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,919
    edited August 25
    I'm not expert also it difficult to see how this is constructed without seeing the AI
    Are you on windows or mac

it's been a while since I tinkered with ai to mtc
    I think if you make each path a compound path it will work

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,037
    Couple of notes - in AI you don't want to have a fill AND a stroke, if you do MTC recognizes both of those things and that is what gives you the double lines.  Turn off the stroke and only use the fill or vice versa.

Second, usually in MTC when you get a shape or an object that has no color or fill it usually means that the shape is not a closed shape - there is an open area somewhere in that piece.  It may LOOK like its closed but usually you will find that it is in fact not closed.  To be closed, it has to be completely closed with the nodes.  Sometimes the nodes are "close" but not actually closed.

If you don't have the MTC User Manual I highly recommend that you find it and review it for the details and information that I and others have briefly noted here as items to check.  You can find it though the Help Menu in MTC.  It will link you to the KNK Zing/MTC UM - but the MTC part applies to MTC no matter the cutter.  I think it picks that up at Chapter 3 as I recall.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,919
    edited August 26
    You could also try using select all effects > pathfinder > intersect then save as svg > import svg to MTC

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,201
    Well I would export as a png and then trace into MTC and thus overcome all possible design problems.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.