We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

Does Silhouette Cameo 2 or 3 work with...

a1jomamaa1jomama Member Posts: 92
Does Silhouette Cameo 2 or 3 work with MTC?

Best Answer

Answers

• a1jomamaa1jomama Member Posts: 92
    edited August 21
    I'm about to buy a silhouette Cameo 2 or 3, but if not MTC compatible..then I don't want to get it. So please let me know if either one works with a 2 or 3. Thank you! :smiley:
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,881
    edited August 22
    There a is plugin for the Cameo 2
    I think but not sure there may some limitations with regard to print and cut in regard to mat orientation I'm sure a cameo 2 user can clarify this

There have been discussions of cutting to the Cameo 3 from MTC but the position of the cutting is incorrect and use of the 2nd tool is not possible
    Silhouette have made some improvement in their studio software with version 4 unfortunately they still don't allow import of svg in the free base version
    Ironically this appears to make cutting from MTC via SVG export to a Cricut machine a more plausible option 

Make the Cut has not been updated for some time so compatibility for newer machines eg Cameo3 , KNK Force, KNK Zing Orbit has not been added so is non existent or limited at best
    Considering this it might be time to place a cutters suitability for the required task ahead of whether it is compatible with make the cut

Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    @a1jomama - you can purchase the Business Edition of Silhouette, and that version I understand lets you import SVG files to cut on the Cameo. You can use MTC to do your design work, then export as SVG for cutting with the Silhouette program.
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 28
    edited August 22
    All three Silhouette Studio upgrades, Designer Edition, Designer Edition Plus, and Business Edition, accommodate importing SVG files. The Business Edition also exports in SVG, JPEG, and PDF formats (excluding designs purchased from the Silhouette Design Store) in Studio Version 4.1, which was launched as a public release on 8/21/2017.

Post edited by gll5613 on
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 157
    edited August 23
    @gll5613 - Your information above are correct but there is an easy trick to save a shape purchased at Silhouette Design Store as SVG file. As the shapes from Silhouette Design Store already have a cutting line (perfect contour), you only need to trace the shape again, and then save it as SVG file, without any type of restriction. Try it and let us know the result!
  • a1jomamaa1jomama Member Posts: 92
    I find the Silhouette Studio (including Designer edition) to be very difficult to use and even SEE on the screen compared to MTC!. I am making all my designs in MTC and then exporting as SVG and then importing them to Studio to cut. Reason being, MTC! does not match the print area on the Silhouette yet and does not have all the paper/vinyl cut/blade etc choices yet. Looks like an update would allow me to never open Studio again. Saving me the hassle of trying to export, find the file then import into Studio. 
    I tinkered with Sil Studio Basic a little it seem quite limited and also not very intuitive in operation although that may because I'm so use to MTC
    So Svg export form MTC to Sil Studio DE is a good option
    or MTC SVG export to Inkscape to DXF to Sil Studio Basic works for plain cutting files but is a little more time consuming

I really take issue with companies that put limitations in place for the sole purpose of what would appear to gouge user further in the sale of cutting designs from their store 
    For which this seem the only reason for not allowing SVG import on the Sil Studio Basic Version
    Although the upgrade to DE is not that much extra cost I think I would be inclined to Give my money to Craft Edge and use SCAL least they would not chain me to silhouette machines
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • lonestarlonestar Member Posts: 51
    I've had the Business Edition of the Sil software almost since it came out but only used that software for print and cut.  Now that they allow the user to save to svg I have started to use it and like it.  They have added quite a few nice features and it relatively easy to use.

• CheercoachCheercoach Member Posts: 13
    I have just upgraded my MTC because Silhouette version 4 does not even have a simple ruler setting.  You have to purchase the designer edition. After all their upgrades in version 4 and no ruler? Really? I spent a ton of money on purchasing designs in the Silhouette design store and I want to use them but version 4 is clumsy compared to MTC. I have read your comments, but isn't there a simpler way to use their designs besides tracing. I don't have that skill down yet. Help?
     but isn't there a simpler way to use their designs besides tracing. I don't have that skill down yet. Help?
    @Cheercoach are you asking this in relation to MTC or Sil Studio
  • CheercoachCheercoach Member Posts: 13
    I would like to use my designs that I bought in Silhouette Design store and use Make The Cut to do my designs instead of Silhouette Studio software.
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,527
    @Cheercoach - my understanding is that if you can save the designs onto your local desktop, then you would take the .studio file and upload it to a website for conversion to SVG which would allow you to import it in MTC. The website is:

http://www.ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx

Be sure to read the known issues section.
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 28
    @Cheercoach -  Basic Studio does have numbered grid markings on the virtual cutting mat that can be used as a simple ruler. It's not the same ruler available in the paid upgrade versions, but it's free and available to all Studio users. Go to Page Setup>Cutting Mat>Reveal and increase the reveal percentage enough to display the mat's grid, numbers, and right side markings. If you want further divisions, keep the reveal around 80% or less, then go to the Grid options, select Show Grid and specify the Spacing, Divisions, and Color. If you want the mat to always display, go to Preferences>Defaults>Always Display Mat and select that option.
    I would like to use my designs that I bought in Silhouette Design store and use Make The Cut to do my designs instead of Silhouette Studio software.
    As Liz says http://www.ideas-r-us-software.uk/FileConverters/SilhouetteStudioConverter.aspx

be aware that this tool has known limitations one being it doesn't handle raster or fill content well

The also have a Studio Library File Extractor not sure how well this works and there seem to be a issue with cloud based libraries ?