We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

HELP! My vinyl cuts are cutting through the backing?

SMacLeanSMacLean Member Posts: 1
Hi!  I'm new to this.  I'm trying to cut vinyl (651, I think) and every time it cuts through the vinyl and backing?  I'm using the Cameo 3 with the self adjusting blade, 4.0 software, and I've adjusted the thickness all the way down to "1" and it still cuts through the back.  What am I doing wrong???

Comments

• Di-liteDi-lite Member Posts: 3,385
    I don't know the machine but I think in the software part you can lower the force that it cuts with.  In the silhouette you have a choice from 1 through to 30 when setting up to send to the machine along with a peed option - I guessing there is something similar on the Cameo 3.
    Have fun, Di, ID 14610
    UK, Cameo, Serif Draw, Win10.
    Link to My Craft Bazaar | Link to Skool | Force Bazaar - Archimedes
    Feel free to use anything in these links.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,490
    @SMacLean, welcome to the Make-The-Cut user support forum.  We have a few folks here who purchased the Cameo 3, only to find out it doesn't work with Make-The-Cut.

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 3,312
    edited August 2017
    I only know a little base on what I read on other forums and blogs
    when the blade goes through the adjustment phase the the setting get changed I read that if the blade holder in not fully down in the clamp that can cause it not to self adjust
    Post edited by Crazy_Mr_Zing on
    I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Bongumusa123Bongumusa123 Member Posts: 1
    I experimenting with my new cameo 3. The autoblade seems to cut through the vinyl, the backing, all the way to the cutting mat -  not withstanding having input all the correct dimensions - material size, size, cutting mat size, material type, action, tool, etc. What am I missing?  
  • gll5613gll5613 Member Posts: 46
    @Bongumusa123 - From the content of your question, I believe that you are using Silhouette Studio. Is the software up-to-date? Has the Cameo 3's firmware been updated? Can you confirm that the AutoBlade actually advanced to the correct blade depth? If you answered "yes" to all three, your cut settings (the blade depth, force, or both) will need to be adjusted. I suggest doing test cuts until you have arrived at the correct settings for the material you are using. Save those settings by adding a new custom material. Use that material setting instead of Studio's suggested default setting.
  • rose76maryrose76mary Member Posts: 1
    @SMacLean @Bongumusa123 IDK if you found your fix but after multiple tries I had to use settings:
    Material: cardstock, printable adhesive-back
    Speed: 3
    Force: 25
    But I hope you figured yours out already
  • Barb_craftroboBarb_craftrobo Member Posts: 43
    I don't know if the original poster is still around but I recently purchased a Cameo 3 bundle (couldn't pass up a Costco sale), and it works fine with MTC but the force settings are lower than the Silhouette SW, and MTC won't do the auto adjust blade.

I use roll vinyl, usually FDC 4200 vinyl, no mat, and on MTC I use a blade setting of 1 or 2 depending on how old the blade is, and a force of around 5. The same setup on the Cameo 3 but the force setting is at 10, which is their default setting for sign vinyl. Makes a nice cut and just kiss cuts the backing paper.

I'm using the Silhouette SW because MTC won't connect to the Cameo 3 via Bluetooth and I've now got the cutter in another room.
  • GabeGabe Moderator Posts: 4,490
    MTC is not compatible with the Cameo 3 in several areas, as you've already discovered.  That is because it has not been updated in years and it has no routines in it to match anything about the Cameo 3 that is different from the Cameo 2.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!