We are running a sale on Popup Card Studio. Save 28% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order now!

We are also running a sale if you purchase both Make The Cut! and Popup Card Studio. Save 38% right now during this very limited time sale. Click here to order!

What kind of cutters does everyone use?

newMamawnewMamaw Member Posts: 174
Looking for an entry level cutter. I have used MTC several years ago when it was compatible with the Circuit. Haven't used it since. I have a MAC but understand it only works with the KNK. 

Comments

• Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,925
    edited August 5
    I have a KNK Zing Air  on Windows

As MTC has not been updated for sometime its is not directly compatible with many of the newly released machines for example the KNK Force, KNK Zing Orbit  and also Silhouette Cameo 3 but silhouette would not be an option with a MTC MAC

I guess that leave the KNK MAX Air but that not really an entry level machine
    I thought I read somewhere the Max Air will soon be updated maybe it will fall off the MTC list too, could be just rumour though

Scal might be a option as it would give you a wider choice of machines and is available in a full Mac Version

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • MendyRapaCatMendyRapaCat Member Posts: 490
    I have a KNK Force and a 24in Blackcat. I love both and wouldn't give up either one! When one is working well the other acts up! Lol! So, it would be hard to say which I love more. Both are not entry level but I would say that the Blackcat would be slightly easier but the force is catching up with all updates its had.  
    I love my 24" Blackcat and my Cameo!
  • CarrieCarrie Member Posts: 1,168
    I have Cameo.

image+++MTC fan since December 2009+++~~~Own a Silhouette Cameo~~~ ****MTC is the best PROGRAM Ever!!!**** 1-22-14 Bought PCS! ****A fan of Andy the Amazing Designer, and Ann helping him to get started****
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,563
    KNK Maxx Air, which I love. KNK Force which is also high on my favourites list =). KNK Zing does not get much attention any more.
  • nuttyladynuttylady Member Posts: 3
    I have a cameo 2
  • jesprattjespratt Member Posts: 51
    I have an original Zing and a Force. I cut mostly vinyl on the Zing and PnC's and cardstock on the Force so I don't have to keep adjusting the blades and settings.
  • juliefesjuliefes Member Posts: 4,844
    I have 13 different cutters. My most used is the Pazzles Vue because of its ease of use, and its ability to cut the heavy media that I use the most with its up to 1000 grams of cutting pressure. The software that ships with it is MAC or Windows compatible. It imports SVG files that I create in MTC as well. It also exports as SVG, so I can import into MTC if necessary to use any editing features I may need. SCAL4 also has a plugin for direct cutting to this machine. How you plan to use the machine, and what you like to cut most will dictate the best machine for you. 
  • tuicarlostuicarlos Member Posts: 158
    @juliefes - Jesus Christ Julie… 13 cutters? Have you tried ancestrydna.com before? No relations with Goddess Shakti or an octopus? I'm kidding!

I’m not sure if you already have it but would be very interesting a comparison grid of pros and cons between these cutters or your suggestions for each kind of material, for example, and you're the right person to do this, no doubt.

• paprika19paprika19 Member Posts: 1
    HI everyone I'm looking to buy my first cutter for my business.  It will be used quite a lot.  I'm looking at the Silver Bullet.  I see that it's a leading machine but I wondering about the maintenance of it.  A couple people have mentioned that re-nu sheets are expensive.  How often does this need to be change?  Also i have read that you go through a lot of blades!
    What is your fav cutter?  Does anyone own a bullet that can give me some feedback. thank you
  • Crazy_Mr_ZingCrazy_Mr_Zing Member Posts: 2,925
    edited August 11
    @paprika19 ; What material are you planing to cut and what do you consider a lot of use how many hours a day

Are you wanting to use Make the Cut Software ?

The KNK Maxx Air might be another option for heavy business use although many people have made use of hobby rated machines for light business use as well

You mat will loose it stickiness with use how quickly this happen depend of the material you cutting
    often you can refresh the stickiness by rising the mat in water but eventually the adhesive will need to be renewed

re-nu sheets are one option , I've never user them

Spray on re-positionable adhesive is another I found it a little messy the spary seem to float all over the room definitely a outside job

The method I use is Aleene's Tack it over and over there are also several method of using this below is a video the method I use
    I use this to make my own mats for flexible cutting boards and also product named Messy Mats

If you search the web using a term like restickly mat that should find other methods

I Use Zing Air, Make The Cut - Pop Card Studio, WinXP- Win7 -Win10
    Paper Modellers I Revere Marc Hagan-Guirey ----- Yoshinobu Miyamoto ----- Peter Dahmen
    Gallery ID #26944 ----- Link to My Cloud Have a Look your Welcome to Make Use of the Files
  • Liz_ALiz_A Member Posts: 9,563
    paprika19 said:
    HI everyone I'm looking to buy my first cutter for my business.  It will be used quite a lot.  I'm looking at the Silver Bullet.  I see that it's a leading machine but I wondering about the maintenance of it.  A couple people have mentioned that re-nu sheets are expensive.  How often does this need to be change?  Also i have read that you go through a lot of blades!
    What is your fav cutter?  Does anyone own a bullet that can give me some feedback. thank you
    If you are going into business, all the incidental costs for blades, mats, adhesive, etc. that one needs to run the business should be factored into the prices you set for your products. The Re-Nu sheets may be expensive, but your mat is ready to use in 15 seconds or less. No hard work to apply it, no waiting for it to dry, it is the simplest method of resticking a mat.

Going through a lot of blades, obviously you haven't been listening to the right people. :) I use my cutters quite a bit, on average I may change my blade once every 6 months. People that don't follow good cutting advice when it comes to the amount of blade being exposed, will need to change their blades more often.

Part of the purchasing decision needs to be how much after sales support will you get. Does the cutter have a good manual with easy to follow instructions? A cutter should cut what you want today, but how much future does it have when it comes to cutting media that you haven't even thought of. Good luck with your decision. 
  • MeFlickMeFlick Member Posts: 9,039
    paprika19 said:
    I own an 18" Silver Bullet.  I have had it for a couple of years now.  Prior to that, I had its predecessor the Black Cat Cougar for a number of years.  I upgraded to the SB and gave the Cougar to my sister who uses it primarily to do things for the elementary school she works at including cutting lots and lots to decorate teacher's bulletin boards multiple times through out the year.  I have never been more than happy with the cutters and the customer service that I have received with that line of cutters.  They are relatively maintenance free.  As Liz already noted, blades, mats, adhesive, etc. are a cost of doing business with a drag blade cutter.  As she also noted, the re-nu sheets are easy to use and make the mat ready to use quickly but as has also been noted, there are other ways to resticky a mat.  New users tend to go through blades faster then those who have learned and used a cutter for a while.  Blades for any of the cutters have fragile tips and can easily be broken if dropped, hit the mat edge, has too much exposed and digs into or cuts through a mat, etc.

I have had several of the "entry level cutters" before my cougar and the Bullet.  I also own a KNK Force machine.  (Yes, I have a cutter addiction.)  The Bullet and KNK line are much better then any of the "entry level cutters."  The Bullet ships with Sure Cuts A Lot software (SCAL).  The KNK line gives you a choice of getting that I think.

What you are going to DO with the cutter and how much you actually use it will dictate how quickly you are going to need to get new blades, mats, resticky a mat, etc.  I would not hesitate to buy my Silver Bullet again or a KNK cutter.  I have been happy with both the cutters and the service received from them.
    Go Vols!
    Cutting with 18" Silver Bullet and a KNK Force (the rest are collecting dust!)